No announcement yet.

Dunne eyeing title shot!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dunne eyeing title shot!

Year 2009 should be a decisive one for Irish super bantamweight star Bernard Dunne. "We are definitely looking for a title shot for Bernard early next", declared Brian Peters, Dunne's indefatigable promoter, "we feel that he is ready for this big step." But before he can contemplate such a challenge, the young Irish boxer-puncher will have to get by hard-hitting Cristian "El Temible" Faccio (16-3, 11 KOs) of Uruguay this coming Saturday at the Breaffy House Resort in Castlebar, Ireland.

The South American steps in as a late substitute for Mexican Eduardo Garcia who was Bernard's original opponent.

Dunne (26-1, 14 KOs) knows full well that a future title shot depends on how well he performs against Faccio who unsuccessfully challenged for the WBC bantamweight title last June in Japan.

"All the talk about a world title will mean nothing if I slip up on Saturday night," declared Dunne who describes his opponent as "a very typical aggressive Latin boxer, always coming forward. I'm certainly nothing looking past Faccio."

The Uruguayan visitor who holds the WBO Latino Bantamweight belt comes decided to upset Dunne's title aspirations. "This is such a big fight for me--a victory over Dunne will put me right back in the contender status," says Faccio.

For his part, Dunne has been undergoing a new training program. "I have been working to improve my strength, working to develop explosive power. With that in mind, I have also worked on a new diet plan," mentions Bernard.

The undercard of the Dunne-Faccio clash offers a much anticipated rematch between Irish welterweight prospect Stephen Haughian (15-1, 6 KOs) looking to even the score against sleek Italian Gianmario Grassellini (17-2, 10 KOs) who outpointed him last year; junior Middleweight Henry Coyle (8-1) will have his hands full against Delroy Mitchell (8-2) in his first ten rounder; four other bouts featuring Irish prospects John O'Donnell, Damian Taggart, Logan McGuiness and Steve Barnes will complete the card.

Source http://www.*********.com/coster100b.html
Working...
X