No announcement yet.

The difference between the pros and us

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The difference between the pros and us

Quite interesting to see so many people criticising Robert Garcia for the way he's training Maidana to fight Mayweather. However, Garcia and Maidana know much more than you and I. They box from morning till night. They've boxed all their lives.

Sure, it may not be enough, since Maidana's fighting against a much better fighter. But for us to think that Maidana and Garcia aren't acutely aware of this, is stupid.

And we should stop believing everything trainers/fighters say pre-fight. Are they going to tell you their actual game plan before the fight? Even if they are, you and I do not have enough information to be confident about whether they're just bluffing, or actually publicising their game plan.

On the same note, I believe that people like Khan say things purely to stay in the running. No one knows better than Khan just how bad his chin is. He is the one who has boxed for 80% of his life, been knocked out etc. I think he's actually quite humble, but sadly with the way the sport is, you have to display faux-bravado or else you dwindle into irrelevance.

Boxing is a truly humbling sport (I got hit with a liver shot by a girl smaller than me, and I wanted to throw up) and professionals know exactly what they're in for. I doubt Maidana and Garcia think that they're going to just steamroll Mayweather, though I feel it may be their best option. Likewise, I doubt Khan believes he's awesome (he knows better than anyone else what his limitations are).

The point is, too many people on this board speak as if they know better than the pros. Generally speaking, they don't. So instead of criticising fighters left, right and centre, why don't we talk to each other about all the awesome possibilities of the fight, rather than just going around accusing boxers for ducking etc.
Working...
X