No announcement yet.

Mir vs. Nog

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mir vs. Nog

Frank Mir started his UFC career debuting against a very high level BJJ practitioner in Roberto Traven (Mundial winner and an ADCC champion) Frank Mir who was a purple belt at the time and in only his 1st UFC bout submitted the Black belt in under 2 minutes, very impressive debut, Everyone took notice, even Nog was impressed (He stated it in an interview)

Frank was then pitted against UFC Veteran Pete Williams, Pete who had faced the likes of Kevin Randleman, Semmy Schilt and former UFC HW Champion Ricco Rodriguez had never been submitted in his career, Frank Mir in his 2nd UFC bout submitted him in 46 seconds, with a very IMPRESSIVE shoulder lock (My Favourite submission finish to date)
    [IMG]http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/6518/frank****inmirzn9.gif[/IMG]

Frank Mir in his 3rd UFC Bout was then thrown to Ian Freeman, a crafty veteran who held (At that time) a 13-5 record. Ian dedicated the fight to his dad who had just passed away, the fight was held in Ian’s hometown in London England. The fight started and Mir got caught with a right early, Mir to the fight to the ground and went for submission recklessly (A rookie mistake) Ian faught through most of the submission attempts but then got caught in a legit heel hook, He hit mir with an illegal strike and got out of it.

Big John didn’t stop the fight or warn Freeman for god knows what reason, everything went downhill from there for Mir, he gassed out and took some vicious GnP. The fight was stopped at the end of the first. This was Mir’s first loss.

David ‘’Tank’’ Abbot was returning , the UFC hyped him up to the max, they wanted to give him a ‘’gimmi’’ fight before they put him in the title picture, they pitted him up against Frank Mir, thinking Tank would do to Mir what Freeman did.
    Frank in again, 46 seconds took Tank down and submitted him with a vicious toe hold, a very big upset at the time and a big win for Mir in only his 6th MMA bout.
    http://i13.tinypic.com/8fdih4n.gif

Next up for Frank Mir was Wes Sims, Frank took him down strait away and mounted him, went for an armbar but Sims got out, he then began to stomp Mir, Sims was then disqualified.

Mir got a chance for redemption, He completely dominated Sims in the rematch, taking him down, mounting him and going for submissions, 1st round was a 10-7 round if i've ever seen one. Mir then won via Knock out in the 2nd round.

Frank Mir was the put up against the undefeated UFC Heavyweight champion in Tim Sylvia. Tim who seemed unstoppable at the time had a 16-0 record and had big wins over Ricco Rodriguez, Cabbage, Whitehead, Lambert, Gan Magee and Ben Rothwell. Frank Mir was a huge underdog coming into this fight,.
    Mir put Sylvia in a armbar in just 40 seconds and snapped his forearm in half, the referee stopped the fight and Frank Mir was crowned UFC Heavyweight champion.

Frank Mir was then involved in a very serious motorcycle accident, the accident caused a break in Mir's femur and tore all the ligaments in his knee. The bone had broken in two places, doctors told Mir he may not be able to walk again, let alone go back to fighting.
    Mir was then stripped of the title and a interim Heavyweight champion was crowned in Andrei Arlovski.

Mir who was NO WHERE near 100% returned to the octagon a year after being told he may never walk again. He was put in against a high level BJJ Black belt in Marcio ‘’Pe de Pano’’ Cruz.

The fight started and went straight to the mat, Cruz landed a few strikes that caused a cut on Mir’s face, Referee Herb Dean stopped the fight to check on the cut, Mir told him he couldn’t see out of one eye, Mir showed great heart in continuing and was then stopped as he wasn’t defending himself.

NOTE: Mir was nowhere near ready for this fight; he went against doctors orders because he
    needed the money.

Mir then got a gimmie fight in Dan Christison, even though Mir won he didn’t look ‘’impressive’’ he couldn’t train for the fight because of his leg and came into the fight way out of shape.

Mir was then put in against young up and comer in Brandon Vera, Vera who was undefeated at the time caught Mir with a right hook and a Knee, Mir was TKOed in the first round.

NOTE: Mir was still not cleared to fight by the doctors.

Mir then rededicated himself and got into fighting shape, he was also finally cleared by the doctors and was said to be in the best shape of his life.
    He returned to the octagon 8 months late and scored a first round Kimura win over Antoni Hardonk.

He then was put in against UFC newcomer Brock lesnar. Brock Lesnar in only his 2nd MMA fight ever was favoured over Mir, Most people doubted Mir and said Brock would beat him (Including most Sherdoggers) Mir submitted Brock within the first minute via a Kneebar.

Frank is now in the best shape of his life, he has a chance to win back something he never lost and to win it back he has to go through one of his idols, he will be in shape and he will make it a fight, I personally can’t wait to see it.

I posted this at another mma site under a fake account, but since there seems to be a feeling that mir has no chance in beating Nog, I figured I'd post it over here too.

This is very good reasoning. I think he will put a good fight up against Nogueira, but he needs to really work on his stand up.

Comment

That was a great analysis man, Mir is very underrated, and he has no shot in hell to beat nog, I'm still a fan, but he has no shot in hell although if he does win I have no problem giving you my cell number so you can brag endlessly

Comment

Let it be known, I also feel Nog is going to win, but I just wanted to point out a few things about Mir that makes him far from being some dark horse with no shot at winning the belt again.

Comment

I think Mir was lucky to get this shot to be honest, a win over someone who has very limited MMA experience shouldnt have put him to the top of the ladder.Even though Brock has great potential.

Mir hasnt been the same fighter since the accident. I have not rated him too highly since he came back. Which was a shame because he was on a roll.

His sub game is top notch but i dont see him being able to sub Nog. I think his striking isnt upto much and his cardio has never been too good either.

Nog can match anything that Mir throws at him on the ground and he has very good boxing skills as well.

I think Nog will just box him until Mir starts to gas and maybe shoots in recklessly ends up in a bad spot and then gets subbed out. Mir wont last 5 rounds thats for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by number6
            I think Mir was lucky to get this shot to be honest, a win over someone who has very limited MMA experience shouldnt have put him to the top of the ladder.Even though Brock has great potential.

Mir hasnt been the same fighter since the accident. I have not rated him too highly since he came back.

His sub game is top notch but i dont see him being able to sub Nog. I think his striking isnt upto much and his cardio has never been too good either.

Nog can match anything that Mir throws at him on the ground and he has very good boxing skills as well.

I think Nog will just box him until Mir starts to gas and maybe shoots in recklessly ends up in a bad spoy and then gets subbed out. Mir wont last 5 rounds thats for sure.
            By everything I've heard, Mir's cardio is 1000 times what it used to be, and it's laughable to think that he isn't going to come into this fight with everything as close to 100% as possible bar a injury.

Also, as far as him going in for a sloppy take down........I can't think of one take down that could be considered sloppy with him not being gassed. I don't see him coming in less then 100% for this fight.

Comment

awsome gifs, i think he can beat Nog since nog isnt what he used to be but, idk, its a real toss up but Mir has a good shot

Comment

Originally posted by 75th View Post
                By everything I've heard, Mir's cardio is 1000 times what it used to be, and it's laughable to think that he isn't going to come into this fight with everything as close to 100% as possible bar a injury.

Also, as far as him going in for a sloppy take down........I can't think of one take down that could be considered sloppy with him not being gassed. I don't see him coming in less then 100% for this fight.
                I think he will be up for it, but if he is having his head boxed off at range taking damage for 2 or 3 rounds i think he may get desperate and frustrated, then he makes a mistake.

His best performances have all been quick sub wins, against this guy personally i just dont see it.

Comment

Originally posted by number6 View Post
                  I think he will be up for it, but if he is having his head boxed off at range taking damage for 2 or 3 rounds i think he may get desperate and frustrated, then he makes a mistake.

His best performances have all been quick sub wins, against this guy personally i just dont see it.
                  Do I see him having a quick sub of Nog? No, but when it does go to the ground we could very well see the most technical bjj exhibition in UFC history as it's a toss up as to who is more potent on the ground; this can't be argued. Just as Nog's stand up is better then Mir's. Now has Mir's stand up improved, of course it has, so this match up to me is honestly a toss up.

Both men are 2 of my favorites, so I won't be disappointed either way. I just have a feeling Nog will win via split decision.

Comment

it'll be a good fight but i honestly see no way for Mir to win except referee stoppage do to a cut.

Comment

Working...
                    X