No announcement yet.

Worst chins in heavyweight history?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
    Travis Walker due to his recent efforts.
    Yeah that's the third time I've watched him get pollaxed and Arreola was the only guy who had decent power.

The 15 second stoppage against the security guard I think he was, was a bit premature, but he was hurt and not throwing back, with the corner supporting him from going down.

Too bad really, he's got decent speed and power, plus the size to deal with todays HWs. Just not the talent or chin.

Comment

Wlad
      Lennox

Comment

If you named Ken Norton, Tommy Morrison, or Michael Moorer then somebody should get Mike Tyson to uppercut you in the bean bag. Shavers, Foreman and Cooney knocked out Norton, Foreman, Holyfield and Tua knocked out Moorer and Mercer, Lewis and Bent knocked out Morrison. Besides Bent all of these other fighers were great good of great punches.

Wladimir Klitchsko has a glass chin. If you have a arm and a fist attached too it and you can actually throw a punch you can and will hurt Wladimr the bum if you land

Lennox Lewis would of been knocked out by both Briggs and Bruno if they had better stamina. Not to mention he was iced by 1 punch by McCall and Rahman 2 third rate fighters

Maskaev was knocked out 7 or 8 times by average opponents for the most part and he never gets critize for having a weak chin.

Floyd Patterson wasnt a heavyweight so he shouldnt be named either.

Comment

To Patterson's credit, after he'd been in the Heavyweights for a few years his chin actually got better and he fought to some decisions with some guys who could bang. It was mainly when he started out at Heavy that he was being KO'd whenever hit hard. Norton could take a decent shot but not from any of the big punchers. I think cooney's chin was not so bad in the beginning but later on the punches caught up to him. Which is something I fear for Morales in his fight this weekend, that he may just not be able to take a good shot anymore because of Pacman and all of his other wars added up.

Comment

Neither Lewis nor Bruno had weak chins. If Lennox's chin was as bad as many claim he would have been KTFO by Grant, Tua, Briggs, Vitali, Bruno, Tyson etc., who all dropped bombs on his beard without success.

Bruno's problems stemmed more from his lack of fitness than anything else. He gassed against Witherspoon and Smith. Only the bell saved him from gassing against McCall.

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post

it was the manner of the KOs.. against Rahman when he got poleaxed the referee could have counted to 100 and Lewis would not have beat the count, against McCall Lewis was still out of it 10 minutes later as he had to be helped down the ring steps and was still glassy eyed (i was there).. yet Rahman & McCall never in their career`s did they KO any fighter in the manner which Lewis went down, they was not "Big Punchers" so i can only put it down to Lewis having a very weak chin
              Not true, i was at the McCall fight myself & many thought the stoppage was controversial, Lewis was on his feet at seven, appeared wobbly but was getting himself together & as the fight was waved off, he looked directly to his corner, raising his arms out in protest, he clearly had his faculties & was interviewed five mins later & appeared fine, i'm not quite sure what you are referring to when suggesting he needed help when leaving the ring, that is simply not true.
              Lewis fought plenty of punchers, many of whom didn't remotely trouble him & two stoppage defeats in 44 fights would hardly suggest a glass chin, we are talking the heavyweight division & the majority of fighters are susceptible to a huge shot & i wouldn't class Lewis as having a particularly weak chin, i've seen far worse, namely:
              1.Floyd Patterson
              2.Frank Bruno
              3.Herbie Hide
              4.Bruce Seldon
              5.Wladimir Klitschko
              I would rate the above as having worse chins than Lewis.

Comment

Anthony Joshua
                mrbig1 mrbig1 likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by ARichardC View Post

Not true, i was at the McCall fight myself & many thought the stoppage was controversial, Lewis was on his feet at seven, appeared wobbly but was getting himself together & as the fight was waved off, he looked directly to his corner, raising his arms out in protest, he clearly had his faculties & was interviewed five mins later & appeared fine, i'm not quite sure what you are referring to when suggesting he needed help when leaving the ring, that is simply not true.
                  Lewis fought plenty of punchers, many of whom didn't remotely trouble him & two stoppage defeats in 44 fights would hardly suggest a glass chin, we are talking the heavyweight division & the majority of fighters are susceptible to a huge shot & i wouldn't class Lewis as having a particularly weak chin, i've seen far worse, namely:
                  1.Floyd Patterson
                  2.Frank Bruno
                  3.Herbie Hide
                  4.Bruce Seldon
                  5.Wladimir Klitschko
                  I would rate the above as having worse chins than Lewis.
                  Good point, but you're not only responding to a post from 2010, but also to someone who doesn't even post here anymore and was a known dumbass and possible troll.

Comment

Seldon and Cooney was more to do with heart not a glass jaw. Cooney was a heavy drinker and didn't care by the time he fought Spinks. Seldon took a kiss on the cheek from Tyson. Bowe didn't hit him that hard and could have easily gotten up.

Comment

Originally posted by Toney616 View Post
                      Lewis only got koed twice in his career, thats not bad for a guy with a glass chin.
                      That had more to do with Emmanuel Steward helping him protect it better.

Same with Wladimir Klitschko

Comment

Working...
                      X