Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does GGG Belong In The Higher Weight Classes?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does GGG Belong In The Higher Weight Classes?

Like most I have been very impressed with GGG and his dominance of the Middleweight division. He looks unbeatable. The question I have been deliberating on is, Is he too big for the average Middleweight? Does he belong at 168 or 175? I wonder if he will have as much punch resistance in the higher weights and will his punches have as much affect on Ward, Kovalev and Degale etc. Opinions please

He weighed 170 last fight, 2 pounds over 168 pound. Him staying at 160 is fine. It's practically the norm now for fighters to continue to fight in a division 10 pounds under their actual weight. I see him moving to 168 in the future but I wouldn't hold it against him staying at 160.

Comment

If he was killing himself to make weight then I'd say yes. He's not though. GGG critics despite calling him a fraud who's fought nothing but bums only want him to move up to 168 in order to handicap himself against much bigger opponents because he's too good for anyone else in his own division. They're paying him compliments and dont even realize it.

For the record I'd like to see him move up to 168 once he faces the Cotto/Canelo winner. Let him clean out the division like he stated he would then take the leap.

Comment

GGG is fairly light for a MW. A lot guys at 154 weigh more than that on fight night.

He's nowhere near too big for 160, but he is just too good for the current division.

Comment

He makes the weight easily and believes he could even make 154.

He is not a big middleweight and was in fact smaller than Lemieux. People claiming he is too big simply have an agenda of not wanting their favourite fighter to have to fight him.

Comment

Originally posted by gmc_rfc_06 View Post
            He makes the weight easily and believes he could even make 154.

He is not a big middleweight and was in fact smaller than Lemieux. People claiming he is too big simply have an agenda of not wanting their favourite fighter to have to fight him.
            I have no agenda and am not criticizing him. I was just surprised at how easily he took Lemieux's and Stevens power.

Comment

He would be an undersized SMW, he probably wouldn't punch quite as hard either. Part of the reason I think Ward would bully him around the ring.

Comment

No, but people move up all the time without being too big for a division to achieve greatness.

Comment

People just need to let the man make history and become the greatest middleweight of all time.

Comment

Originally posted by KingKhan1 View Post
                    I have no agenda and am not criticizing him. I was just surprised at how easily he took Lemieux's and Stevens power.
                    I wasn't referring to you with that post, just in general. Those who are so set on him having to move up usually have a very common agenda.

He doesn't remotely struggle to make 160 so to me there is no reason to move up until he accomplishes his goal of having every belt. He deals with Lemieux and Stevens easily as he is far better than them and has a very solid chin.

Comment

Working...
                    X