No announcement yet.

My solution to alphabet titles- network champions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My solution to alphabet titles- network champions

I know we're all sick and tired of these different governing body's. Having four 'champions' in a division. Then interim emeritus diamond thrown on top to confuse matters. A lot of my friends have turned away from the sport because of it.

But really we can't just get rid of the title altogether, because fighters love belts.

I know HBO try's to get around the problem by referring to a single champion and calling the others 'belt-holders'.

Why not take it a step further, completely ignore all the governing body's and designate your own single network champion for each division.

Actually make your own belts.

The alphabet bodys become completely irrelevant when they won't get the backing of any tv network.

Yes there will still be more than one champion because there's more than one network. But HBO and Showtime fighters aren't fighting each other anyway so it doesn't make a difference.

Furthermore, being the premier network, every fighter will want to get the title of HBO.

Imagine when pacquiao and mayweather were fighting on HBO and only one of them could be called the HBO world welterweight champion. I'm sure that would have forced that fight to get made.

Just my idea, open to comments / criticism!
    Last edited by MBE; 11-15-2013, 11:18 AM.

Sounds good but They would start dishing out multiple belts themselves at some point lol

Comment

Originally posted by Jloro View Post
      Sounds good but They would start dishing out multiple belts themselves at some point lol
      Beat me too it. LOL

ShowTime PPV Champion
      ShowTime Championship Boxing Champion
      ShoBox the Next Generation Champion
      ShoExtreme Champion

HBO PPV Champion
      HBO World Championship Boxing Champion
      HBO BAD Champion
      HBO2 Champion
      The Gatti List Champion

And within each one of those you will have a Super Champion, an Interim Champion an Asia-Pacific, Latino, Inter-Continental, International and European Champion.

Comment

Originally posted by Jloro View Post
        Haha I guess so. Actually thinking about it all it's pretty much what goes down in the UFC! I know they have silver champions there too. At least they haven't introduced four ufc bodys yet ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by PBP View Post
          Beat me too it. LOL

ShowTime PPV Champion
          ShowTime Championship Boxing Champion
          ShoBox the Next Generation Champion
          ShoExtreme Champion

HBO PPV Champion
          HBO World Championship Boxing Champion
          HBO BAD Champion
          HBO2 Champion
          The Gatti List Champion

And within each one of those you will have a Super Champion, an Interim Champion an Asia-Pacific, Latino, Inter-Continental, International and European Champion.
          Haha that's brilliant

Comment

I think the only way to solve the belts/ratings issue is to have a ratings body that's fully financially independent. That's the only way you could hope that they'd act in an impartial fashion and not dilute the titles. It would have be extremely difficult to set something like that up, but without it you're always going to be left with bandits robbing and under-cutting each other, and the fighters getting screwed while they do it.

Comment

The networks use the current belts to market their fights. Its a novel idea but i think you'll wind up just having multiple belts. Plus, and more importantly there are tons of fights that are not on the neworks

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
                I think the only way to solve the belts/ratings issue is to have a ratings body that's fully financially independent. That's the only way you could hope that they'd act in an impartial fashion and not dilute the titles. It would have be extremely difficult to set something like that up, but without it you're always going to be left with bandits robbing and under-cutting each other, and the fighters getting screwed while they do it.
                I can't see any benefit to anyone except the fans in setting that up. No one would want to do it unless you could get a well known boxing fan behind it with a lot of money and motivation for fixing the sport. Someone like John McCain.

I think having a network champion is the best way to go, I'm sure that hbo wouldn't hand out more titles than there are now, they do a pretty good job after all is said and done.

Comment

Its a good idea in theory but they would just end up doing the same thing the ABC organizations do and trying to steer things in favor of money makers regardless of whether they are really class or not and the problem is that boxers and everyone involved are independent businessmen.

This only stops when boxing has a league and fighters have to fight whoever is ranked regardless of their popularity or they lose their championship status.

Comment

Originally posted by WilkinsOlajuwon View Post
                    The networks use the current belts to market their fights. Its a novel idea but i think you'll wind up just having multiple belts. Plus, and more importantly there are tons of fights that are not on the neworks
                    The networks complain about the situation too. Also those non-network fights aren't as important. The best and most important fights make it to tv, you can still name a network champion on your telecast but not feature there fight (for example straw weight which will never make it on a network).

They can keep fighting for their abc titles off network but no one will care for the title anymore because they won't get the attention where it matters, on tv.

Comment

Working...
                    X