Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This Is Why We Need to Raise The Heavyweight Limit To 220.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Is Why We Need to Raise The Heavyweight Limit To 220.

READ THE WHOLE POST BEFORE REPLYING. MY POINT IS WE NEED TO RE-ORGANISE THE DIVISIONS & GO TO TEN DIVISIONS.

I know that Chisora was much heavier but he's not much bigger. The heavyweights have grown dramatically in the last 30 years.

Ali was considered a big heavyweight at 220. Now we have Haye - who's ideal weight is 210 - fighting against Wlad, who weighs 245 without an ounce of fat on him.

There are so many great fights we could have involving fighters around the 220 mark but they don't want to fight each other because the Holy Grail is to beat the behemoths who are over 2 metres tall & close to 250 pounds.

It's like Marvin Hagler fighting a Super-featherweight Floyd Mayweather.

We do not need 17/18 divisions. 10 divisions starting from 50kgs at flyweight up to 100kgs at Heavy. With 8 in between.

Originally posted by taansend View Post
    READ THE WHOLE POST BEFORE REPLYING. MY POINT IS WE NEED TO RE-ORGANISE THE DIVISIONS & GO TO TEN DIVISIONS.

I know that Chisora was much heavier but he's not much bigger. The heavyweights have grown dramatically in the last 30 years.

Ali was considered a big heavyweight at 220. Now we have Haye - who's ideal weight is 210 - fighting against Wlad, who weighs 245 without an ounce of fat on him.

There are so many great fights we could have involving fighters around the 220 mark but they don't want to fight each other because the Holy Grail is to beat the behemoths who are over 2 metres tall & close to 250 pounds.

It's like Marvin Hagler fighting a Super-featherweight Floyd Mayweather.

We do not need 17/18 divisions. 10 divisions starting from 50kgs at flyweight up to 100kgs at Heavy. With 8 in between.
    they arent bigger they just weigh more. Fatter, lift more weights. nothing really useful for boxing. 215 lb Tyson was koing fools over 230, Old Foreman came back and was still the strongest. They just weigh more is all.

I've even got friends who lift weights and look big but they aren't strong or hard punchers.

Usually over 200 lbs those big dudes are just taller, rarely do they have larger skulls,fists etc...when they do they are strong dudes.
    Last edited by them_apples; 07-14-2012, 04:52 PM.

Comment

I agree i wonder why heavyweights have to fight guys 30 pounds bigger but no 1 else does.

Comment

Did you miss the fight?

I think on average HW's are bigger today, but it's a myth there weren't a fair share of big HW's in the past.

Small HW's have always been able to KO bigger guys, and Haye if he landed clean would KO any HW today.

Comment

You mean decrease the HW limit to 220?

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
            they arent bigger they just weigh more. Fatter, lift more weights. nothing really useful for boxing. 215 lb Tyson was koing fools over 230, Old Foreman came back and was still the strongest. They just weigh more is all.
            So Valuev wasn't way bigger than everyone he fought?

Comment

Originally posted by kill the body View Post
              So Valuev wasn't way bigger than everyone he fought?
              yeah he was, and he sucks lol. Plenty of smaller dudes from the past could have beat him, hell even a 50 year old holyfield did.

Comment

Okay, I see what you mean now. HW being 220+.

Comment

The limit is fine where it is. It's Heavyweight. Heavy is the point. There have been fighters that could deal with these differences. Rather wait for that one special than watch the giants get their own dull class.

Comment

But once you are 200 pounds you can deal with damn near any man

Comment

Working...
                    X