Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Andre Ward-Sergey Kovalev PPV Show Barely Cracked 160K Buys

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr. Stark View Post
    Hard to know. I think if it does rebound it needs an american heavyweight who is dominate and a KO artist ala Tyson to get it back to where it was at.
    We have a wild swinging KO artist American heavyweight. Most people don't care

Comment

Originally posted by adrikitty View Post
      Only for Roc Nation...

They are responsible for paying Ward's share, and Main Events for Kovalev's share...

They split the PPV 50/50, so Kovalev's 2 million would be covered, with a little profit left for Main Events.. Well, actually, after the TV gets their cut, they likely broke even.

Roc Nation, however, ATE A HUGE LOSS! Lol guaranteeing Ward 5 million, WTF were they thinking?

Ward can't draw flies to shyte
      I agree with you, roc nation is the one doing the wrong business here, i expect them to push hard for canelo-cotto after this loss...
      I expected this number due to the actual boxing landscape, but i dont think roc nation was expecting that..

Comment

Same numbers Canelo would be doing if he weren't Mexican. It's pretty good to have the biggest fanbase in boxing automatically built into your sales. Casuals got robbed last May and they won't be buying anymore of boxing PPV fights unless it's absolutely a mega event. These numbers are definitely a little low, I expected like 250-300k buys but I'm not really that surprised

Comment

Originally posted by bchap05 View Post
          We have a wild swinging KO artist American heavyweight. Most people don't care
          Is he dominate?

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
            I disagree with your 1st paragraph. He doesn't need to beat a hyped fighter, he needs to beat a good one. You can't just hype a guy with no skill or talent.

Haymon has no bearing on non Haymon fighters. Additionally, he is getting TV exposure for fighters who weren't ever getting any. The lack of exposure is why they are obscure. Hopefully, with more TV exposure, this gets addressed.

You seem to be focusing on PBC and Haymon for reasons I am not sure. Ward/Kov are not PBC guys, niether was GGG/Lemuix.

The sport is only as healthy as the top draw. There is a reason Chavez Sr. fought on Tyson undercards. GBP has Canelo, who fought alot on Floyd's undercards.

Once another charismatic crossover star appears I think the sport's health will be improved. The question is where do you get that guy?
            A hyped fighter is usually a decent fighter. I thought that went without saying. Fighters are usually not hyped for nothing, there is usually some truth to things like this.

Originally posted by -PBP- View Post
            Or the fact that outside of the ring these fighters are boring and nobody knows who they are
            If you read over my post carefully, you'll come to understand that what you are saying is exactly what I was talking about, I just pointed to the source.

As for the "charisma" thing, it's not a requirement, just don't be brain dead, no one has shown up also because of the same conditions I've pointed out. Thurman seems to have the potential to be an entertaining speaker, he just hasn't had the platform, like with most Haymon fighters, his career has been stalled, in terms of status.

Comment

Originally posted by StudentOfDaGame View Post
              Boxers these days don't do proper media runs and that's partially why they can't transcend the sport. Who was the last Boxer on Jimmy Kimmel or Conan?.

Road to Kovalev/Ward & Hey Harold can only take you so far.
              EXACTLY! Boxing still think casuals will come and FIND THEM, no that is not going to happen especially now when they have a Alternative like UFC who does a far better job promoting their fighters and their fighters promoting themselves than boxing does and it shows in PPV Buys

Comment

Originally posted by sicko View Post
                NOTHING to do with Mayweather or Haymon, Mayweather was just the last fighter that knew how to get the attention of Casuals, after him absolutely NOBODY ELSE has that ability which is why I think casuals have moved on from boxing here in the States

Nothing interesting about the sport anymore now that it is no more Mayweather vs Pacquiao debates which lets be honest was the SOLE REASON why people was even interested in boxing was the Mayweather vs Pacquiao debates. After that it is NOTHING interesting about the sport to Casuals!
                Mayweather brought Haymon to power and glorified open ducking and cherry picking. Plus he's a terrible promoter investing in guys like Bey, Ishe, and J'leon, he's done a better job promoting MMA by constantly mentioning Mcgregor.

Comment

both main events and ROC did a shit job promoting this.

Comment

What's worse is the lack of real action in the fight ahn the negativity srrounding the outcome. A large portion of that 160k probably won't be buying another ppv anytime soon. Not to mention the robbery on the undercard...not the best showcase for the sport.

Comment

• Originally posted by StudentOfDaGame View Post
                      Boxers these days don't do proper media runs and that's partially why they can't transcend the sport. Who was the last Boxer on Jimmy Kimmel or Conan?.

Road to Kovalev/Ward & Hey Harold can only take you so far.
                      You gotta have some status before you show up on shows like Kimmel and Conan. Conor, and Ronda, like Pacquiao, and Mayweather, were all known. I'm not sure they'd agree to guys like Ward and Kovalev being on that, they are too obscure.

Comment

Working...
                      X