Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Tony Thompson: I Don't See The 'Special' in Luis Ortiz

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uh oh, looks like we got a rematch on the way.

Comment

Tony just looking for another payday,, old and washed up, no longer a gate keeper.

Comment

Of course Thompson didn't see anything special in Ortiz. (1) he only saw fear before the fight (2) saw stars during the fight (3) and saw a check after the fight. Let's be honest here, Ortiz is a 37 year old fighter with tons of experience and today's crop of HWS are relatively young (Parker, Joshua, Wilder, Browne) and their handlers don't want them mauled by King Kong. What's the old adage " experience is a good teacher ". I'm sure Ortiz has some tricks to show the youngsters.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
          ? He said that power isn't relevant because they're "all heavyweights". Nonsense. They can all generate KO power but that doesn't mean that power doesn't vary dramatically between them.

He wants to cry about being disadvantaged in that fight. If he actually tried fighting Ortiz, Thompson would have been out in 3 rounds. Fker showed up for a check. I'm not giving him respect for that.
          Thompson never said power wasn't relevant. That's your interpretation of his remarks. I agree power can vary considerably between heavyweights, but Tony didn't say anything to the contrary. In essence what he said was that Ortiz has power, but nothing "special." Does that seem far off the mark to you? Thompson is old and slow. He was never that good to begin with. Yet he walked into the ring on short notice and was able to last six rounds.

I like Luis. I have my fingers crossed for him, but I'm not deluding myself into thinking he's something he's not. He's a good fighter with good skills and better-than-average power (despite Tony's opinion), but he's also old. If he had gotten a shot at the big time at least a couple of years back it would've been nice. But Ortiz is here now, and I hope he's got enough left in the tank to beat one of the top dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
            Thompson never said power wasn't relevant. That's your interpretation of his remarks. I agree power can vary considerably between heavyweights, but Tony didn't say anything to the contrary.
            "He has power but we're all heavyweights so we all have power. It's not dealing with the power, that's the problem, you have to deal with power in every fight."

Sounds pretty dismissive of the relevance of power to me.

Comment

He must have puglistic dementia was he not battered and stopped why was this reported he is irrevelant now

Comment

I don't mind Thompson, but he does seem pretty desperate to talk himself into a fight. He was even talking up another Price fight the other day.

He doesn't move like Scott, so i couldn't see anything but another stoppage loss for him against Ortiz.

Comment

Well, he is right, Ortiz is big, powerful with good movement and decent skills, but he isn't nothing spectacular.

Comment

After losing to Ortiz, Thompson was going on about how strong the Cuban was, even calling him a monster. Now that his loss looks bad he is changing his tune.

Comment

Well you don't hit hard. So stop talking rubbish.

And no version of you beats Ortiz. You just weren't good enough.

Comment

Working...
                      X