No announcement yet.

Serious question regarding where Boxing stands

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serious question regarding where Boxing stands

I've been following boxing for about 18 years,when Solo boxeo was airing I literally would cancel plans or planned around it,I always defended boxing and did a bit of training as well,never missed a PPV and really tried and study it.My question is,what is the real opinion to fight fans today,not casual fans but people like us,people that we wouldn't care about the naysayers.Reason why I am asking is that I have lost most of my interest on boxing and not because the sport but the promoters and fighters,people asking fighters to jump 3 weight classes to prove themselves,fighters not caring to fight real opponents,just interested on staying on the top and making million dollars(I think is valid,but at some point you need to fight the best).I have spoke to casual fans and they have no idea who is good or not,they know the name canelo or GGG,but have no idea who Ward is,or Kovalev,nobody seems to care about Pacs coming fights,NObody will watch Garcias fight for sure..Is boxing really dying or is just me and the about 100 people I have asked?

Boxing is in the toilet. At least we get Ward Kov, Loma Walters

Next year should be good

Comment

Originally posted by Hewito View Post
      I've been following boxing for about 18 years,when Solo boxeo was airing I literally would cancel plans or planned around it,I always defended boxing and did a bit of training as well,never missed a PPV and really tried and study it.My question is,what is the real opinion to fight fans today,not casual fans but people like us,people that we wouldn't care about the naysayers.Reason why I am asking is that I have lost most of my interest on boxing and not because the sport but the promoters and fighters,people asking fighters to jump 3 weight classes to prove themselves,fighters not caring to fight real opponents,just interested on staying on the top and making million dollars(I think is valid,but at some point you need to fight the best).I have spoke to casual fans and they have no idea who is good or not,they know the name canelo or GGG,but have no idea who Ward is,or Kovalev,nobody seems to care about Pacs coming fights,NObody will watch Garcias fight for sure..Is boxing really dying or is just me and the about 100 people I have asked?
      Boxing is not mainstream like in 40s or 60s still not dieing boxing is a sport of 1 or 3 stars from like 90s we fist on one or two popular boxers.

Comment

boxing is dead

Comment

Originally posted by Hewito View Post
          Individual boxers sell fights.

Since we don't have a polarizing star right now I'm not as passionate about watching boxing.

I think boxing popularity goes in cycles. It surges whenever a star with a personality emerges.

Comment

This is one of the worst years of all time. But you have to also consider that last year, the most lucrative fight of all time took place.

I think so much energy was spent building that fight and focusing on those 2 fighters that none of the other fighters were able to build momentum or gain any mainstream recognition. Since nobody is "taking the torch", these fighters have to start from scratch and build their careers from ground up.

The problem is, they want too much money for scratch and the networks are tightening up and don't want to waste their budget on scratch anymore. They want results.

What I think will happen, is that the sport will hit rock bottom, purses will tank, and fighters will have to take risks to get paid and make a living. Once the sport hits rock bottom, fights will start to get made and the rebuilding process will begin.

Comment

Originally posted by GrandpaBernard View Post
              Individual boxers sell fights.

Since we don't have a polarizing star right now I'm not as passionate about watching boxing.

I think boxing popularity goes in cycles. It surges whenever a star with a personality emerges.
              Yes you are right,but when you have lets say two good fighters,for example Canelo vs GGG,that fight for sure would sell very good,as where GGG sells 200k and canelos last outing did like 500K(if that),but with now golden boy saying they will go ahead and continue fighting some other people,fans now dont even care to watch canelo.What I am saying or trying to say,dont people misses vasquez vs marques ,barrera vs morales,paul williams,explosive pac vs marquez(the first two)..Many people I have heard they blame Mayweather,not because his style of fighting(most people say IT IS that)but the way business was done,catchweights,wait 5 years for pac,even he saying his health was first,things like that made a lot of people scratch their heads...I cannot blame HIM for Boxing being where it is,but I am sure if you have kovalev vs ward,canelo vs ggg,adonis vs kovalev,I talking explosive fighters,people will watch again..

A quick note,people tend to get mad at certain fans because they like the brawl or some like the sweet science of hit and not be hit,but people,casual fans like brawling.Those fights are the ones that sell(in my humble opinion)

Comment

It's been a really bad year but I feel I should stay optimistic because some really good fights are coming up.

Comment

Y are the champions afraid to unify? Wat happend to the undisputed champs.

Comment

Originally posted by pacmanis1 View Post
                    It's been a really bad year but I feel I should stay optimistic because some really good fights are coming up.
                    It has been..I dont know of anybody that has the slightest excitment for this saturday's fight..Now,can you imagine danny garcia vs pac,or thurman ,even porter?..no way hbo would have passed on that one??

Comment

Working...
                    X