Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any US citizens would rather live somewhere else ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jim Jeffries View Post
    I'm not sure whether you're trolling or are simply misinformed, but the US has been moving away from a "pure" capitalist society for some time now. Whereas China, and to a lesser extent Australia, have experienced phenomenal growth by opening up their markets, we have decided to go the other way (with predictable results.)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ben-po...b_1891240.html
    interesting article, exactly the arguement i was after, but are your seeing that difference on the streets ?

Comment

Originally posted by Furn View Post
      Is this true tho? i mean food stamps ?

I mean if im dead poor, but im reasonable clever ( not a genius) how do i get to go to Uni in the Us? if my parents are poor?average ?

There has to be a way out for everyone surely ? because there is here .
      You would start with a Pell Grant (federal funding of which totaled 41.2 billion for this school year) and take out a student loan for the rest. If you graduate and can't find a job, you can get your student loan payment reduced to zero until you can.

interesting article, exactly the arguement i was after, but are your seeing that difference on the streets ?
      Absolutely.
      Last edited by Jim Jeffries; 10-27-2012, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
        Well if you're poor and want to go to college here in America, you could always borrow the money from your parents.

if im poor, would my parents also be ?

Comment

You would start with a Pell Grant (federal funding of which totaled 41.2 billion for this school year) and take out a student loan for the rest. If you graduate and can't find a job, you can get your student loan payment reduced to zero until you can.
          whats a Pell Grant ?

can anyone get it ?

Over hear anyone who has a high school score goes to uni\.

Comment

Is this true tho? i mean food stamps ?

I mean if im dead poor, but im reasonable clever ( not a genius) how do i get to go to Uni in the Us? if my parents are poor?average ?

There has to be a way out for everyone surely ? because there is here .
            Are you trolling? No offense...

If you are dead poor you get to go to college for free or with minimal loans. You don't even have to be clever. If you are poor you can get what is called a Pell grant, in addition to whatever assistance if provided by state funds. If you are clever you get that plus scholarships.

You can also take out loans. I was making decent money at my last job before entering grad school and I still qualified to borrow something like $13,000USD if needed a year.

The problem in America is the different culture gaps between rich and poor, with no sign of how to improve it. It has nothing to do with our education system; it's about parenting and changes in society. So many poor children (and the number is growing) are growing up in either single-parent households or with other family members, and these kids guardians simply can't put the time in to teaching their children and getting them on a equal level. You can't teach a kid everything he/she needs to know in life during their daily school session. Single parents, who are usually working fulltime, can't give their kids the time they need, and often time those parents are a product of the aforementioned cycle and are very uneducated themselves.

It's a problem neither the state nor federal government can do anything about, but the subject makes a lot of people uncomfortable. People are blaming the US education system for low standards, yet there is immense pressure to accommodate these children who are at a severe disadvantage by making courses easier. Schools that fail everyone get shut down, after all. It is virtually impossible to fail high school if you attend class these days.

So, there's a little bit of what's going on here. It's not some evil scheme, it's just a deep problem that no one has an answer to yet.

Comment

whats a Pell Grant ?
              It is free money from the Government for those who qualify to attend secondary education.

can anyone get it ?
              I did, for a year after my GI bill benefits ran out.

Over hear anyone who has a high school score goes to uni\.
              High School score?

Comment

I spend a lot of time in the States and have noticed it is in decline and I don't see it coming back. I live in the UK and I have to say I would rather live here than in the States and that is not something I would have said years ago and the UK is in decline also. Australia has a much better future,you are tied to Asia and relatively that is on the up as the US declines. I just don't see the States as the land of opportunity any more the national debt is at crazy levels and industry has been exported.

Comment

Originally posted by paulf View Post
                  Are you trolling? No offense...

If you are dead poor you get to go to college for free or with minimal loans. You don't even have to be clever. If you are poor you can get what is called a Pell grant, in addition to whatever assistance if provided by state funds. If you are clever you get that plus scholarships.

You can also take out loans. I was making decent money at my last job before entering grad school and I still qualified to borrow something like $13,000USD if needed a year.

The problem in America is the different culture gaps between rich and poor, with no sign of how to improve it. It has nothing to do with our education system; it's about parenting and changes in society. So many poor children (and the number is growing) are growing up in either single-parent households or with other family members, and these kids guardians simply can't put the time in to teaching their children and getting them on a equal level. You can't teach a kid everything he/she needs to know in life during their daily school session. Single parents, who are usually working fulltime, can't give their kids the time they need, and often time those parents are a product of the aforementioned cycle and are very uneducated themselves.

It's a problem neither the state nor federal government can do anything about, but the subject makes a lot of people uncomfortable. People are blaming the US education system for low standards, yet there is immense pressure to accommodate these children who are at a severe disadvantage by making courses easier. Schools that fail everyone get shut down, after all. It is virtually impossible to fail high school if you attend class these days.

So, there's a little bit of what's going on here. It's not some evil scheme, it's just a deep problem that no one has an answer to yet.
                  Holy ****!!! seriously epic post!

As a scientist i know that you guys are the best! but I have always thought that was much to with your exclusion as your exclusion!, if you know what i mean.

But you have made a great point.

I guess there are avenues if your keen enough no matter how smart your are, and having been through the sysytem here, there are planty of students that dont either deserve or want to be there.

I honestly didnt know **** ab0ut your educaction system execpt whats on t, if what yout you say is true, you guys are getting a bad rap!

also i wasnt trolling,,,, just tryin to learn, this is how the world sees you guys.

Comment

It is free money from the Government for those who qualify to attend secondary education.

I did, for a year after my GI bill benefits ran out.

High School score?
                    that's probably some sort of aptitude test, like the SAT.

here in my state we had the MCAS. if you scored over a certain level and you qualified for the program (baiscally showing financial hardship through personal financial statements of your parents,) you could get a free ride for tuition at the state schools.

UMASS amherst is a very good public university, and i know plenty of people who got full rides there. it's also a zoo,

Comment

Holy ****!!! seriously epic post!

As a scientist i know that you guys are the best! but I have always thought that was much to with your exclusion as your exclusion!, if you know what i mean.

But you have made a great point.

I guess there are avenues if your keen enough no matter how smart your are, and having been through the sysytem here, there are planty of students that dont either deserve or want to be there.

I honestly didnt know **** ab0ut your educaction system execpt whats on t, if what yout you say is true, you guys are getting a bad rap!

also i wasnt trolling,,,, just tryin to learn, this is how the world sees you guys.

the world HATES us

they hate us.

it's going to be hard finding out the truth about america unless you live here for that reason. we're far from perfect, obviously, but there's a reason that americans have accomplished so much and brought so much to the world.

Comment

Working...
                      X