Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

mike tyson made evander holyfield take a steroid test in 96 (link inside).....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Makavelli View Post
    not sure if its the same guy but, didn't mitch halpern commit suicide?
    Yes........he did. I was going to add it as a side note but it was a bit OT. Halpern commited suicide over a woman. Ref Richard Green also commited suicide after the whole Mancini vs Kim thing. Former Boxer and Ref Benny Leonard also died in the ring. In the old days, a Ref needed to do all the fights in a boxing card. Leonard collasped in the ring, and they made a new regulation with NYSAC where Refs would never do all the fights in a card. It is physically demanding for an old ref to do one fight; let alone 3 or 4.

Comment

atleast we know this isn't unprecedented.

Comment

Originally posted by HaglerSteelChin View Post
        Yes........he did. I was going to add it as a side note but it was a bit OT. Halpern commited suicide over a woman. Ref Richard Green also commited suicide after the whole Mancini vs Kim thing. Former Boxer and Ref Benny Leonard also died in the ring. In the old days, a Ref needed to do all the fights in a boxing card. Leonard collasped in the ring, and they made a new regulation with NYSAC where Refs would never do all the fights in a card. It is physically demanding for an old ref to do one fight; let alone 3 or 4.

yea, i knew there was something when i read his name...also, there were more suicides in the Mancini-Kim thing right? like, didn't someone's mom (kim maybe) commit suicide? or someone?

Comment

Originally posted by Makavelli View Post
          yea, i knew there was something when i read his name...also, there were more suicides in the Mancini-Kim thing right? like, didn't someone's mom (kim maybe) commit suicide? or someone?

Kim's mom commited suicide not so much due to kim's death but also the family was figthing over the money from the boxing purse($20,000) and she thought it was a bit sick as she was grieving and they fought over money so she decided to kill herself and they can keep the money. Green killed himself about a year after the fight.

Halpern did a good job in the De La Hoya vs Ike Quartay fight. In RD 12, DLH dropped Ike for a second time and had him in the ropes hitting him with alot of blows. Haplern was watching closely but didnt stop it and Quartay finished the fight as DLH punched himself out. A less experienced ref would have done a premature stoppage. I remember Lampley saying "halpern is right there and he is getting close to stopping it......but he never did which is a credit to him.

Comment

Originally posted by HaglerSteelChin View Post
            Kim's mom commited suicide not so much due to kim's death but also the family was figthing over the money from the boxing purse($20,000) and she thought it was a bit sick as she was grieving and they fought over money so she decided to kill herself and they can keep the money. Green killed himself about a year after the fight.

Halpern did a good job in the De La Hoya vs Ike Quartay fight. In RD 12, DLH dropped Ike for a second time and had him in the ropes hitting him with alot of blows. Haplern was watching closely but didnt stop it and Quartay finished the fight as DLH punched himself out. A less experienced ref would have done a premature stoppage. I remember Lampley saying "halpern is right there and he is getting close to stopping it......but he never did which is a credit to him.

green K

its exchanges like this that give me hope for this forum...keep on posting fellow hagler fan

Comment

Originally posted by RelliK View Post
              tat on right shoulder.
              he meant getting blood taken
              and why cant you believe he feels weak for awhile after it?

it happens to many people

Comment

Originally posted by tehMatrix View Post
                he meant getting blood taken
                and why cant you believe he feels weak for awhile after it?

it happens to many people
                We can accept a while but 30 days is BS.

Comment

mike gave holy a steroid test in the ring, drank some blood out of that ear, what a swell guy.

Comment

prime tyson , properly trained and fighting the correct way would have beaten down evan fields.

Comment

Oh really

Comment

Working...
                      X