Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did George Foreman spit at Joe Frazier in their first fight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did George Foreman spit at Joe Frazier in their first fight?

I was just watching some clips of this fight. I couldn't help but notice that George appeared to have spit at Joe during one of the knockdowns. I couldn't really tell for sure because his back was to the camera...

From what I've watched and read about the fight, I gather that Foreman shouted at Joe to 'stay down'. Foreman was concerned that he might cause Frazier some serious damage after the repeated knockdowns.

I think that he also shouted at Frazier's corner to stop the fight.

I don't think there was any real bad blood between the two of them, they seemed to speak respectfully about each other.....and even the sequel wasn't really sold as a grudge match. So I doubt that there was any spitting from Foreman.

Comment

From what Foreman has said repeatedly, he wanted Frazier to stay down for the fact he was kind of scared of Joe when they met the first time. Sugarj is right he was telling him to stay down Joe.

Comment

I know the moment you're talking about, appeared to me more like a shout of contempt or some such. George was beasting on him and feeling himself.

Comment

I don't think Foreman was the type to spit on an opponent even if he mad or didn't like them. If he did spit on Joe Frazier, we would have heard if it by now.

Comment

Even though he destroyed Joe, there was no way he was going to get away with spitting at Joe.There are several heavyweights, Joe, Mitch Green, possibly Larry Holmes, that would've had their way with George in a streetfight.

Comment

Originally posted by Dynamite76 View Post
              Even though he destroyed Joe, there was no way he was going to get away with spitting at Joe.There are several heavyweights, Joe, Mitch Green, possibly Larry Holmes, that would've had their way with George in a streetfight.
              Comments like this make me laugh, How the hell u know they would have had their way with him in a street fight?? Sick of ppl saying this boxer would beat this boxer in a street fight, You don't know nothing about that. Trying to judge boxers by how they fight in the ring or whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by maenyfresh View Post
                Comments like this make me laugh, How the hell u know they would have had their way with him in a street fight?? Sick of ppl saying this boxer would beat this boxer in a street fight, You don't know nothing about that. Trying to judge boxers by how they fight in the ring or whatever.

There is a difference between being a thug, and being a warrior.Joe, Mitch, and Larry were warriors.George was a thug.He would not have gotten away with spitting on Joe, believe that, though I understand what you are saying.

Comment

Originally posted by Dynamite76 View Post
                  There is a difference between being a thug, and being a warrior.Joe, Mitch, and Larry were warriors.George was a thug.He would not have gotten away with spitting on Joe, believe that, though I understand what you are saying.

A "warrior" after his street fight.. I'm only posting this because of the ridiculousness of your initial comment.

Comment

I doubt he spit on him.

Comment

Working...
                    X