Comments Thread For: Justifying Amir Khan's 8-Pound, $8,000,000 Gamble

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great piece

Comment

This report is slightly out of line.....for example Kahn s not well known in America and its only canelo that will attract the vast majority of ppv sales in the states..there's never been no debate that vegas has always been the home of the next big superfight....but that's either between 2 American boxers and at worst there has to be one american....the ppv market in the UK rivals the U.S. in terms of popularity when it's a big domestic fight...for instance anthony Joshua sold 400k ppv in his last fight and mayweather vs berto did 350k.....I've been to Vegas for LEWIS vs holyfield 2 at the thomas and mack centre and yes it was a big event but that fight also had the anticipation that it could go either way and some favoured lewis and others holyfield .....the difference with the Khan and canelo fight is ..Khan had a 50/50 chance in beating brook in front 80k at Wembley with half supporting him....with a ppv audience of a million as due to the fact he is Muslim and create a lot of sales ..in Vegas he is just being used as a sacrificial lamb by goldenboy and they have just paid him well .....there s thing called fair competition and value for money......if Khan has no chance of winning how can that be value for money ? And if God forbid Khan suffers a life threatening injury then I hope people are held accountable ....goldenboy mainly

Comment

Originally posted by HughJass View Post
        Great piece
        I disagree. He was simply stating the obvious using unrelated analogies to what other UK fighters did in the past. One would hope an article this long would have some kind of revelatory stance

Comment

Originally posted by Steve plunger View Post
          This report is slightly out of line.....for example Kahn s not well known in America and its only canelo that will attract the vast majority of ppv sales in the states..there's never been no debate that vegas has always been the home of the next big superfight....but that's either between 2 American boxers and at worst there has to be one american....the ppv market in the UK rivals the U.S. in terms of popularity when it's a big domestic fight...for instance anthony Joshua sold 400k ppv in his last fight and mayweather vs berto did 350k.....I've been to Vegas for LEWIS vs holyfield 2 at the thomas and mack centre and yes it was a big event but that fight also had the anticipation that it could go either way and some favoured lewis and others holyfield .....the difference with the Khan and canelo fight is ..Khan had a 50/50 chance in beating brook in front 80k at Wembley with half supporting him....with a ppv audience of a million as due to the fact he is Muslim and create a lot of sales ..in Vegas he is just being used as a sacrificial lamb by goldenboy and they have just paid him well .....there s thing called fair competition and value for money......if Khan has no chance of winning how can that be value for money ? And if God forbid Khan suffers a life threatening injury then I hope people are held accountable ....goldenboy mainly
          I wasn't aware that Khan signed this contract against his will at gunpoint.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
            Agreed, it was a very well kept secret, just goes to show it can still happen. In terms of the money, that translates to around £4 million, wouldn't he have gotten more versus Brook? Or does Khan get a percentage of PPV revenue and the UK rights?
            He was probably looking to make about $10,000,000+ to fight the much more beatable Brook.

I guess the only upside is that a loss to Alvarez at MW will still leave him with options down at WW.

Comment

Originally posted by PACnPBFsuck View Post
              $8 million, dayuuumm, that's actually worth the beat down.
              Khan was seeking around $16million guarantee to fight brook, £10million brtish pounds, a fight he was very capable of winning, but this? for half of that... Very confusing. Canelo can wipe him out inside 4 rounds... But probably will let him go a few more rounds so canelo dont get trashed by fans for taking a mismatch.

Comment

Originally posted by rocktx View Post
                I disagree. He was simply stating the obvious using unrelated analogies to what other UK fighters did in the past. One would hope an article this long would have some kind of revelatory stance
                It's a good piece whether you agree or don't agree.It has some solid points and questionable points.

Comment

Originally posted by PensionKiller View Post
                  Amir has never feared anyone... I have watched him since 2004.

However much that he is stupid, he has always wanted the big names from when Caasmayor and Juan Diaz when he was young.

Him chasing Pac and May was real. He wanted them.

It's all about testing yourself, but also getting exposure. He wants to be a marketing supremo.
                  That is what i have notice about Khan, he would fight anyone "Except Brook" but he would take any fight if he thinks it would prove something, the thing is because of his ego and his team stupidness he has taken fights he shouldnt have taken, He went and fought Lamont Pederson in the guys hometown when he was the champion, he did the same against Paulie M, he fought Danny Garcia when he could have passed him over, he chased Bradley who accused him of running and even agreed a 50-50 split for any UK PPV.. He even was willing to fight Alexander until he thought he was getting the Mayweather fight.

Comment

Smart money move by Khan. A loss to Canelo will be ignored because he is stepping up in weight. It's a fight nobody expects him to win anyway. After losing then Khan goes back to WW and takes a warm up fight before finally facing KB in England in a huge local derby. At the end Khan gets two big paydays. But if he faced Kell first and lost then his career would be done and dusted.

Comment

Originally posted by PACnPBFsuck View Post
                      $8 million, dayuuumm, that's actually worth the beat down.
                      Not if you end up brain dead on a hospital bed.

Comment

Working...
                      X