Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When was the last time Mayweather faced a legitimate Threat?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Weebler II View Post
    Castillo? Corrales? It's definitely some time since Mayweather took on a champ in his prime at his strongest weight. Canelo is next but he put a catchweight on it when he didn't need to.
    You're right, he didn't need to. Canelo also could've just refused to agree to that weight and demanded Floyd fight him at 154 where Canelo may or may not be stronger. Nobody on Canelo's team thought it was a bad idea either.

Maybe 2 lbs. will make difference after all. After all, Marquez put on 2 lbs and had the power to KO Manny.
    Last edited by MindBat; 06-20-2013, 02:15 AM. Reason: missspelling.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Fantastico View Post
      No. just no.

he never fights who fans wants him to fight. The margaritos, the prime cotto, the prime pacquiaos of the world. he rather fight the guerreros and ortizs of the worlds... We all knew those fighters (ortiz and guerrero) never had a realistic shot.
      With the exception of Margarito, Bob Arum protected Cotto and Pacquiao from Floyd with good reason.

Why Margarito is being brought up is beyond me. Bob probably knew Margo fought dirty handed. It took someone like Naazim to expose him for being shady.

Margo's rep is done.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor_Tenma View Post
        A champ, prime, at his strongest weight.

Victor Ortiz?

You want him to face Devon Alexander too?
        Ortiz had only just moved up. Besides, the OP said legitimate threat, no one expected Ortiz to win. It's Victor Ortiz, the guy has a loss to Maidana and a draw with Peterson.

Comment

Originally posted by Imatroll View Post
          First I want to say Mayweather picking Canelo was very shocking news. I was doubting the fight ever happening. Though, I don't agree with the 152lb catch-weight, I give Mayweather full credit for taking on our future of boxing, Canelo.

Honestly when was the last time Mayweather faced legitimate opposition? It definitely was not overweight Hatton/JMM, shot Mosley, nor was it dancing with the stars Ortiz. Oh you say Cotto? ..oh you say he fought the best version of him at 154lb? No.. there's a reason why Mayweather had no problem jumping to fight Cotto at 154lb, he was "not" a threat and had 2 critical losses on his record.

.. But Imatroll, he fought the Ghost and dominated him for 12 rounds. Negative, that fight should've never happened. I'm pretty sure 99.9% of the boxing world (beside his dad) knew Floyd was going to run through this C- level fighter.

Canelo. Canelo. Canelo. Asking for the catchweight already exposed Floyd is concerned after just chanting and preaching about how he wants his opponents to be at a comfortable weight. It doesn't matter, Canelo will come in ready and in shape, I'm not worried.

I can proudly say Canelo is the first legitimate threat Floyd has faced in years. The guy is accurate, has power, and paces himself well. He can box well and pressure if needed. I don't believe his staminia will be an issue because Floyd's work rate is nonexistent. I'm confident Canelo will make training to cut the ring off his priority in camp because this will be the key to victory. Cotto did this well and hopefully Canelo takes lessons from this.

The only strategy Floyd has is getting on his bicycle and pot shotting all night. Floyd's in for a big surprise. Canelo will effectively cut the ring off and negate the tactic.

I'm 100% sure Floyd is going to get handed his first loss. Floyd will get walked down and punished. Canelo will win by Mid-late TKO. I've never been this sure and I will bump this ***** after fight night.

For all the nut huggers of Floyd saying put your money where your mouth is, I sure am. Will be betting $2000 on Canelo. woooo!
          was Mosley shot before or after decapitating the guy who you all said was the baddest and most feared man in boxing(Margarito)? Was he shot before or after he jumped in Floyd face in the JMM post fight when you all said that Floyd was scared to death and would never fight him?

Was JMM overweight when he just knocked Knocked Pac TFO at the same weight? Was Hatton overweight after he just shutout Tszyu, had came into the ring bigger than Floyd in every single fight, and was just fighting in his 2nd division while you are crying now for Floyd to fight in his 5th division at a 20 pound disadvantage?

Same stuff every time. Never gets old. I bet Floyd eats at you guys soul. You hate it everytime he wins and you will be upset again on Sept 15th. You will be crying about the CW and making up a new guy to say that he ducked

Comment

Ortiz had only just moved up. Besides, the OP said legitimate threat, no one expected Ortiz to win. It's Victor Ortiz, the guy has a loss to Maidana and a draw with Peterson.
            You said prime, best weight and champion, Ortiz was at his best at 147. I'm laughing at the bold, it's like your adding more and more to it. Again, it all goes to my initial point, ain't Mayweather's fault these highly ranked opponents don't pose a threat; that's being critical of his talent level. Maybe we should be arguing about how weak this era is?

Comment

Originally posted by Imatroll View Post
              First I want to say Mayweather picking Canelo was very shocking news. I was doubting the fight ever happening. Though, I don't agree with the 152lb catch-weight, I give Mayweather full credit for taking on our future of boxing, Canelo.

Honestly when was the last time Mayweather faced legitimate opposition? It definitely was not overweight Hatton/JMM, shot Mosley, nor was it dancing with the stars Ortiz. Oh you say Cotto? ..oh you say he fought the best version of him at 154lb? No.. there's a reason why Mayweather had no problem jumping to fight Cotto at 154lb, he was "not" a threat and had 2 critical losses on his record.

.. But Imatroll, he fought the Ghost and dominated him for 12 rounds. Negative, that fight should've never happened. I'm pretty sure 99.9% of the boxing world (beside his dad) knew Floyd was going to run through this C- level fighter.

Canelo. Canelo. Canelo. Asking for the catchweight already exposed Floyd is concerned after just chanting and preaching about how he wants his opponents to be at a comfortable weight. It doesn't matter, Canelo will come in ready and in shape, I'm not worried.

I can proudly say Canelo is the first legitimate threat Floyd has faced in years. The guy is accurate, has power, and paces himself well. He can box well and pressure if needed. I don't believe his staminia will be an issue because Floyd's work rate is nonexistent. I'm confident Canelo will make training to cut the ring off his priority in camp because this will be the key to victory. Cotto did this well and hopefully Canelo takes lessons from this.

The only strategy Floyd has is getting on his bicycle and pot shotting all night. Floyd's in for a big surprise. Canelo will effectively cut the ring off and negate the tactic.

I'm 100% sure Floyd is going to get handed his first loss. Floyd will get walked down and punished. Canelo will win by Mid-late TKO. I've never been this sure and I will bump this ***** after fight night.

For all the nut huggers of Floyd saying put your money where your mouth is, I sure am. Will be betting $2000 on Canelo. woooo!
              I was actually VERY impressed with Floyd's choice of opposition lately! I feel that Oscar was a money fight. He was past his prime, but it was a fight that had to happen for Floyd. I think Hatton was a decent opponent as well. Now after we had seen Floyd pick brawlers apart, allot of us thought he needed a counterpuncher to beat him. JMM was the best in the bidness and Floyd make him look foolish.

I dont care about the weight issue. Floyd beat him so bad, it gave me the impression that no matter what weight, Floyd was just WAAAY too sharp defensively.

At the time he fought Mosley, it was a GREAT opponent for Floyd. It was THE first time Floyd fought a dangerous ww, who was bigger, and had some speed and some pop. Also even tho Shane was older, he was coming off a GREAT KO win, and Floyd himself was coming off a 2 yr layoff before he fought JMM, and coming off another layoff before he fought Shane. BOTH were older.

After seeing Shane land a shot, I felt that SURELY Ortiz would do MUCH better than Shane. Ortiz is waaay bigger, throws more puunches, is a southpaw so he had a better shot of landing. He came in the ring at 164lbs, and Floyd pushed him around the ring.

I was pleased with that opponent at the time. Cotto was the best opposition for Floyd at the time he fought him, but Cotto was shot, and been through wars. I think Cotto was the only guy who had really been banged up before Floyd fought him.

But based on what he did to Floyd, I thought SURELY Floyd would lose to Ghost. Cotto is short, slow, with short arms. Ghost is tall, long, with MUCH faster hands than Cotto. Ghost doesnt throw combinations, he throws flurries. Flurries are punches that are much closer together, than combination punches. So its easy for you to get clipped. And Ghost is not a brawler like Ortiz. He's a tactical counterpuncher who only started brawling when he went to ww, and became bigger, and more durable. He also makes GREAT adjustments on the fly. If Cotto was able to outbox Floyd in some sequences, I thought SURELY that Ghost was going to use his jab to keep Floyd at bay.
              I felt that if you customized a fighter to beat Floyd, he would be taller, bigger, can swarm, can box, use height and reach advantage, and was a volume puncher. Ghost's style was built to beat Floyd.

I felt that the only way Floyd would beat him is to use footwork, and he was older and didnt have any footwork. Boy was I wrong.

I feel that Floyd has ducked a few fighters. But I have NEVER felt that he only fought tomato cans. He fights some GREAT opponents, and I always feel, based off his last fight before, he would lose to guys he was fighting at the moment!

Sorry I have ruined your troll attempt! I know my boxing.
              Last edited by MurkaMan; 06-20-2013, 04:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor_Tenma View Post
                You said prime, best weight and champion, Ortiz was at his best at 147. I'm laughing at the bold, it's like your adding more and more to it. Again, it all goes to my initial point, ain't Mayweather's fault these highly ranked opponents don't pose a threat; that's being critical of his talent level. Maybe we should be arguing about how weak this era is?
                It's obvious what I meant. If you want to pretend otherwise, that's on you.

Ortiz wasn't a legitimate threat but I don't know how you can say he was at his best at 147, he has lost 2/3 fights there, was stopped in 2 and knocked down in the other.

Comment

It's obvious what I meant. If you want to pretend otherwise, that's on you.

Ortiz wasn't a legitimate threat but I don't know how you can say he was at his best at 147, he has lost 2/3 fights there, was stopped in 2 and knocked down in the other.
                  Webster he saying that because Ortiz walked around at the 160's and he was draining himself to make 140. I ALWAYS felt that Madaina had overrated power. He only dropped Ortiz because he used to kill himself to make weight. At ww, Ortiz comes in the ring at 164lbs, and based off the Berto fight alone, I have felt that this was the perfect weight class for him.

After seeing Floyd get caught by Mosley, Ortiz was the perfect fight coming off the mosley fight. Ortiz was in his prime, bigger than Mosley, threw more punches, and was a southpaw. Surely he could land more frequent than Mosley did. At the time, I felt it was a very dangerous opponent for Floyd.

Comment

Originally posted by MurkaMan View Post
                    Webster he saying that because Ortiz walked around at the 160's and he was draining himself to make 140. I ALWAYS felt that Madaina had overrated power. He only dropped Ortiz because he used to kill himself to make weight. At ww, Ortiz comes in the ring at 164lbs, and based off the Berto fight alone, I have felt that this was the perfect weight class for him.

After seeing Floyd get caught by Mosley, Ortiz was the perfect fight coming off the mosley fight.
                    Pacquiao was the perfect fight. Ortiz had one win at 147 where he went life and death with Andre fliggin' Berto.

Ortiz was in his prime, bigger than Mosley, threw more punches, and was a southpaw. Surely he could land more frequent than Mosley did. At the time, I felt it was a very dangerous opponent for Floyd.
                    You might've, but no one else gave him a chance. Pacquiao was the fight people wanted to see, not Victor Ortiz.

Comment

Originally posted by MindBat View Post
                      His opponents were all legitimate threats until after he beat them.
                      This.
                      If you're whole point is that nobody is a threat to Floyd, that is because he is actually that good. Quit hating and admit that you are watching greatness.

Comment

Working...
                      X