Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Share us your Playstation 1 memories when it was popular back in the day...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm slowly being dragged into this conversation despite my best attempts not to be.

What can I say? I'm a game geek first and foremost. So **** it - I'll go against my original intentions and start throwing out some names of classic PS1 titles I adored.

'Metal Gear Solid' belongs on any list of ATG PS1 titles, IMO. Kojima is a ****ing genius and the storyline of the PS1 version which relaunched the series still stands head and shoulders above the best action/espionage films of all time. I still own my original copy (along with an unopened backup) and play it to this day.

'Road Rash' is definitely not an ATG by any stretch of the term. What it was, however, was brutally entertaining. It definitely made for some classic multiplayer memories that I still carry to this day.

'Vagrant Story' is definitely ATG material by my estimation, and like all timeless RPG classics I can still pop it in and enjoy it to this day.

'Resident Evil' deserves a nod, as do it's two original PS1 sequels. 16 years later and Capcom is still coming up short in regards to making a memorable RE title.

'Legacy of Kain : Soul Reaver' was epic as hell, though I enjoyed the 'Blood Omen' titles a bit more because I was more of a Kain guy, myself.

'Knockout Kings' was fantastic multiplayer fun that also catered to my then exponentially growing, almost geek-like fascination with the sport.

'Castlevania : Symphony of the Night' hands down the best 'Castlevania' title ever created. Nothing more need to be said unless you've not played it, in which case you ****ing suck.

'Final Fantasy Tactics' The best PS1 FF game ever crafted, Period. **** the more popular FFVII and it's emo protagonist, predictable love story, and 'Hot Topic' inspired supposed "super villain" - Tactics is where the hardcore FF geeks like myself got busy.

'Bushido Blade' both this and it's sequel were very unique and refreshing takes on the fighting game which brought me back to the over-saturated genre after I had pretty much abandoned it.

Comment

'Parasite Eve' and it's sequel are two criminally underrated RPG classics, IMO. Infusing a unique horror storyline into the traditional turn-based style and character-building traditions of the RPG genre made these two games quite memorable for me.

The 'Silent Hill' games also deserve a nod for taking the genre that the RE series spawned, flipping it upside down by removing powerful weapons, and injecting it with a nightmarish amount of freaky images that would make any psychiatrist flip their lid.

'Dino Crisis' was pretty memorable despite being a blatant RE clone with a storyline ripped from 'Jurassic Park'. The sequel was exceptionally good, IMO. For almost the entire game you're cowering in fear and running away from the colossal badass that is the T-Rex, until the game springs the 'Giganotosaurus' on you - A behemoth that's twice the size of the T-Rex that you've been afraid of the entire time. I still remember nearly pissing myself at that one.

'Tony Hawk's Pro Skater' is ATG material, as well. I enjoyed the sequels up until around the 4th one, but none of them ever captured the insanely addictive nature of the first installment. I must've spent a few hundred hours in multiplayer with my friends alone.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
        I'm slowly being dragged into this conversation despite my best attempts not to be.

What can I say? I'm a game geek first and foremost. So **** it - I'll go against my original intentions and start throwing out some names of classic PS1 titles I adored.

'Metal Gear Solid' belongs on any list of ATG PS1 titles, IMO. Kojima is a ****ing genius and the storyline of the PS1 version which relaunched the series still stands head and shoulders above the best action/espionage films of all time. I still own my original copy (along with an unopened backup) and play it to this day.

'Road Rash' is definitely not an ATG by any stretch of the term. What it was, however, was brutally entertaining. It definitely made for some classic multiplayer memories that I still carry to this day.

'Vagrant Story' is definitely ATG material by my estimation, and like all timeless RPG classics I can still pop it in and enjoy it to this day.

'Resident Evil' deserves a nod, as do it's two original PS1 sequels. 16 years later and Capcom is still coming up short in regards to making a memorable RE title.

'Legacy of Kain : Soul Reaver' was epic as hell, though I enjoyed the 'Blood Omen' titles a bit more because I was more of a Kain guy, myself.

'Knockout Kings' was fantastic multiplayer fun that also catered to my then exponentially growing, almost geek-like fascination with the sport.

'Castlevania : Symphony of the Night' hands down the best 'Castlevania' title ever created. Nothing more need to be said unless you've not played it, in which case you ****ing suck.

'Final Fantasy Tactics' The best PS1 FF game ever crafted, Period. **** the more popular FFVII and it's emo protagonist, predictable love story, and 'Hot Topic' inspired supposed "super villain" - Tactics is where the hardcore FF geeks like myself got busy.

'Bushido Blade' both this and it's sequel were very unique and refreshing takes on the fighting game which brought me back to the over-saturated genre after I had pretty much abandoned it.
        How the f did I miss Knockout Kings, Bushido Blade and Castlevania?

Let me throw another one in the hat, Tenshu. ATG material right there.

Syphon Filter, yet another.

And for the record, Thrasher Skate and Destroy >>>>> Tony Hawk's Pro Skater

Comment

Originally posted by Rorschach™ View Post

Sh i t, I had Fighting Force. That game was boss. Also Driver was fun as hell. Castelvania too, as I mentioned before.

Comment

So here I am, doing everything I can
            Holding on to what I am
            Pretending I'm a superman
            I'm trying to keep, the ground on my feet
            Seems the world is falling down around me
            The night's are long, I'm singing this song
            Trying to make the answer's more a maybe
            And I'm so confused,I've got a lot to do
            Sometimes I want to throw it all away
            So here I am, growing older all the time,
            Looking older all the time,
            Feeling younger in my mind
            So here I am, doing everything I can
            Holding on to what I have
            I'm trying to sleep,
            I lost count of sheep,
            My mind is racing faster every minute
            What could I do more,
            Yeah, I'm really not sure
            I don't want to run in circles but I can't quit
            And I'm so confused
            I've got a lot to do
            Sometimes I want to throw it all away
            Controlling everything inside
            Feeling weak I don't feel right
            Telling me I have to change
            Telling me to act my age
            But if all that I can do
            Is to sit and watch time go
            Then I'll have to say goodbye
            And I'll be sure to watch time fly, to watch it fly-hy-hy
            So here I am,
            Growing older all the time,
            Looking older all the time,
            Feeling younger in my mind
            Here I am, doing everything I can
            Holding on to what I am,

Comment

Originally posted by Nodogoshi View Post
              How the f did I miss Knockout Kings, Bushido Blade and Castlevania?

Let me throw another one in the hat, Tenshu. ATG material right there.

Syphon Filter, yet another.

And for the record, Thrasher Skate and Destroy >>>>> Tony Hawk's Pro Skater
              'Thrasher' was definitely more realistic and sim in it's approach to skating, but Tony Hawk slayed it in terms of multiplayer fun.

I still remember ripping up the concrete in the park level on 'Thrasher' to RUN DMC's 'King of Rock'. Epic stuff.

Comment

You are now imagining yourself going down the ramp, about to hit the half-pipe ramp and while breaking through the glass and landing cleanly over the gap.

Comment

Originally posted by I'm so sorry View Post
                  You are now imagining yourself going down the ramp, about to hit the half-pipe ramp and while breaking through the glass and landing cleanly over the gap.
                  Best time to bust out a good trick right there.

You were especially beast if you could pull off the 900 while clearing that gap. That's how I'd always start multi-player trick off's on that level. It had to be timed perfectly as soon as you took off, otherwise there wouldn't be enough time between take off and landing to clear the rotations.

Comment

Working...
                  X