No announcement yet.

FDR on Government Unions.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FDR on Government Unions.

I've always wondered why unions are allowed to exist in government. Either gov jobs are crucial, or they're not. If they're crucial, then how can we allow unions to shut down their services? If they're not, then why don't we get rid of them? Looks like Franklin Delano Roosevelt, the US's 32nd president, agrees with me.

"The process of collective bargaining, as usually understood, cannot be transplanted into the public service," Roosevelt wrote in 1937 to the National Federation of Federal Employees. Yes, public workers may demand fair treatment, wrote Roosevelt. But, he wrote, "I want to emphasize my conviction that militant tactics have no place" in the public sector. "A strike of public employees manifests nothing less than an intent on their part to prevent or obstruct the operations of Government."

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/art...or_108962.html

Originally posted by Jim Jeffries View Post
    I've always wondered why unions are allowed to exist in government. Either gov jobs are crucial, or they're not. If they're crucial, then how can we allow unions to shut down their services? If they're not, then why don't we get rid of them? Looks like Franklin Delano Roosevelt, the US's 32nd president, agrees with me.

"The process of collective bargaining, as usually understood, cannot be transplanted into the public service," Roosevelt wrote in 1937 to the National Federation of Federal Employees. Yes, public workers may demand fair treatment, wrote Roosevelt. But, he wrote, "I want to emphasize my conviction that militant tactics have no place" in the public sector. "A strike of public employees manifests nothing less than an intent on their part to prevent or obstruct the operations of Government."

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/art...or_108962.html

FDR's take is very interesting Jim. Thanks for droppin this jewel of knowledge.

Comment

In my state, NY, the Taylor Law prevents state workers from striking but are given mediation and binding arbitration instead. I've worked for a union before, and could see how bad it is for businesses. But if you look at how poorly workers were treated before unions were allowed, it's not surprising that they were formed.

Comment

Working...
      X