Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Arum on Lomachenko vs. Rigondeaux: That's a **** Fight!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just finished watching a whole bunch of Rigo fights.

What I saw was decline. Go back a couple of years and Rigo's main weapon was his control of distance, his ability to move back and forward was faster than any fighter could throw. Plus a lightning fast left hand. So he would stand, move back, forward, pretty much untouchable, then throw the left when he saw the opening, and throw the left at a speed where the opponent couldn't even react.

His strength was also his weakness, he didn't need any other tools than managing the distance and his left. Just those two alone beat everyone. He showed lateral movement every now and then, also a right, but quite simply hardly ever needed any other tools than the primary two, so they were and are undeveloped.

What has happened in the last couple of years is that his control of distance has lessened, his cat like reflexes aren't what they were 6 years ago. 6 years ago he could avoid anything thrown with his hands at his sides, just moving his feet back and forth - didn't even need head movement apart from tilting his head back every now and then. His stance has now widened and he's not controlling distance like he used to, he's basically slowing down. He's 36, and inactivity plays a part too, but he's not the same guy he was in the amateur years.

Rigo still has control of the distance, but its not as complete as it used to be, and he's having to fall back on other skills that he's had, but neglected down the years as he's never needed them before. His left is still fast, but not as fast as it was. He's ageing in every fight.

He'll never fight Loma for lots of reasons (weight being the main one), bit its time to start talking about prime Rigo vs Loma as a fantasy match-up. Rigo's days are numbered before his stance widens even further and his movement to control distance and reflexes just aren't there any more - he will box like they are, but he'll be catching shots that would never have got close to touching him before.

Sergio Martinez had the same primary weapon - control of distance. When he wasn't mixing it up with Paul Williams, prime Martinez was also untouchable for the same reasons Rigo was. Take Martinez's control of distance away (when he knees went), and you get the Murray and Cotto fights.

And Martinez/Williams is a clue - Williams' rep at the time was 'most avoided fighter' for a reason, and his rep also included an iron chin. He didn't let you control distance as he jumped on you from the opening bell and stayed there till the end of the 12th. Martinez had no choice but to give up his control of distance and return fire, and that's what went down. Who unravels Rigo right now ? Santa Cruz. Similar MO to Williams, and Rigo would be forced into a firefight where he's never been comfortable. Martinez was comfortable in a firefight, not his first choice, but he could go there if forced, as he proved. I don't think Rigo can. He's never been there as he's never been close to needing to - Santa Cruz would take him somewhere he's never been before, and doesn't like.

Comment

• Originally posted by darius45 View Post
      Are you mad? No chance? This is a very even fight. And I bet the actual betting odds will reflect it, if the fight does get made.

Rigo will train hard for Loma, he knows what he's up against, and Loma will know he's going up against his toughest opponent too.... Loma isn't going to be able to impose his size with lightning counter lefts coming at him... Rigo edges Loma out in the speed department... Too old? Rigo is a bit of freak of nature like Floyd, he's older but just as sharp as ever.
      I've been watching boxing for more than 40 years. That's how I call it. No chance is probably too strong but I'd have it 80-20 for Loma. The lightning counter lefts would be irritating but tell me Rigo doesn't get hit - you can't - because he does. Loma will land, not as much as on Walters, but he will land and he won't need to land as much on Rigo because Rigo is a lot less durable than Walters. I'd have Rigo down on the floor at least twice in this fight.

By the way I had Loma stopping Walters between round 6-9 [check my post history if you don't believe me] and a lot of that was due to Walters not showing the same power at 130 against Marriaga and Sosa and also his inactivity. Inactivity is a killer and it seems as if many current boxers don't understand that but a couple do - they have called out Haymon on that.

Comment

• Sounds like Arum doesn't want his golden goose to fight a very challenging fight we all know what happened when he gave Donaire to Rigo same could happen again but I'm under no impression that Donaire and Lomachenko are similar this would be a tough one I'd probably give it 60/40 in favour of Lomachenko because of size and the fact we know he isn't no slouch when it comes to the technical side of things.

Realistically this fight could be very boring but it's one of those ones even if Lomachenko wins it's not going to do much for his stock because Rigo is great but not well known (not Rigo fault).

Comment

• Originally posted by HI-TECH Boxing View Post
          LOL why are you offended that I'm a Loma fan? That's dumb. Should I talk crap about you and call you names because you're a fan of a certain fighter?
          I don't think I have ever said Loma is the greatest thing I've ever seen. He is my favorite fighter. Big deal. Why don't you go cry about it?
          This is one of the funniest things I've seen.

I will defend Loma when he needs to be defended. I'm not going to let people make up BS.
          Last year people were calling Loma a coward for trying to fight Rigo after Rigo has been talking crap for years. And they were saying that Loma was scared of Walters and he just wants to try and get the smaller fighter in Rigo.
          Now people want to come up with this BS. I'm not going to let that slide.
          You don't see me defending Loma when it comes to the comments Arum is making. Honestly, I think those comments are annoying. He's just making Loma look bad.
          He's a promoter though. He wants to get people talking. And sometimes that means creating some controversy.
          People need to understand that. That's all he is doing. And it appears to be working because people are talking. Aren't they?
          I'm offended that you're a Lomachenko fan¿ lol yeah that's hilarious. Anybody can be a fan of any fighter, there's nothing wrong with that, but to be barking and barking at people just for not agreeing with your points and for not looking at things from your point of view is plain sad.

Comment

• Originally posted by MEXfistology View Post
            I'm offended that you're a Lomachenko fan¿ lol yeah that's hilarious. Anybody can be a fan of any fighter, there's nothing wrong with that, but to be barking and barking at people just for not agreeing with your points and for not looking at things from your point of view is plain sad.
            I don't give a **** if people don't agree with me, but I'm not going to let them get away with saying BS.
            It's just a little argument.
            That's the point of a forum. We have conversations, we argue, we agree, etc.
            Imagine if everyone had the same mindset. It would be ****ing boring.

It's not that ****ing serious. You ****ing idiot.

Comment

• Originally posted by Red Cyclone View Post
              Sounds like Arum doesn't want his golden goose to fight a very challenging fight we all know what happened when he gave Donaire to Rigo same could happen again but I'm under no impression that Donaire and Lomachenko are similar this would be a tough one I'd probably give it 60/40 in favour of Lomachenko because of size and the fact we know he isn't no slouch when it comes to the technical side of things.

Realistically this fight could be very boring but it's one of those ones even if Lomachenko wins it's not going to do much for his stock because Rigo is great but not well known (not Rigo fault).
              Arum is very scared that Rigo derails the Loma train. However, I disagree with you that a win over Rigo doesn't raise Loma's stock. It would be a HUGE accomplishment and most certainly raise Loma in the p4p rankings. I think Rigo is more well known too than you're implying...in the boxing/fighting world alone he is one of the most highly regarded fighters out there. If Loma beats him, you know HBO will play up ad nauseam how he out-slicked the slickest fighter in boxing. It will be his new selling point.

Also if Loma WERE to beat Rigo, I think it makes a potential fight with Crawford or Manny later down the line more appealing... Because now it will of been solidified that Loma is the king when it comes to technical expertise... Making these two fights appear even closer competitively.

Comment

• It won't happen.
                Rigo brings no money, no fans, and a boring day at the office.

Comment

• Originally posted by richardt View Post
                  HBO is the network that said they will not have Rigo on their network after the Agbeko fight and we all know Arum cant get anything going with Showtime at this point so that leaves nothing.
                  Is funny because Agbeko vs Rigo was as entertaining as Loma vs Walter. Aka boring as hell, both fight, not because of Rigo or Loma but the competition lay an egg.

Compubox punches/round

Rigo 71 vs 30 Agbeko
                  Loma 62 vs 37 Walter

What is the difference for HBO? Both receive low numbers, specially the Rigo one when HBO was competing with SHO with a card at the same time.

Comment

• Originally posted by JrRod View Post
                    It won't happen.
                    Rigo brings no money, no fans, and a boring day at the office.
                    Same thing Rigo will said about Loma, he brings no money, no fans, and a boring day at the office.

But he is willing to make the fight, why is your excuse.

Comment

• Originally posted by el_locoteee View Post
                      Same thing Rigo will said about Loma, he brings no money, no fans, and a boring day at the office.

But he is willing to make the fight, why is your excuse.
                      Loma brings Arum Top Rank, HBO and at least some offense. Rigo who has had plenty of chances and crapped on all.
                      I know you're a big rigo fan, but facts are facts.

Comment

Working...
                      X