Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Juan Manuel Marquez: Kovalev's Loss Showed Golovkin is Better

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I disagree with JMM on both points

P4P is not about who would you rather watch. People wuld've rather watched Arturo Gatti over many P4P fighters of his day, that didn't make him P4P #1

Kovalev looked like that because that is what happens when you fight a fellow top 10 P4P fighter and Olympic Gold medalist. GGG has no amatuer standout around his weight class like DeGale, Ward, Gvozdyk, Beterbiev, or any top 10 P4P fighters like Ward and Kovalev available in his weight class to push him like Ward and Kovalev pushed eachother. So it's unfair to say GGG who fights the Stevens and Lemiuex's of the world is better than Kovalev who had to go through Hopkins and Ward to prove himself

Comment

I don't know how it showed Golovkin is better. When you fight better fighters, it's to be expected you'll have tougher fights.

Comment

Lol what? Not at all juan

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
          I disagree with JMM on both points

P4P is not about who would you rather watch. People wuld've rather watched Arturo Gatti over many P4P fighters of his day, that didn't make him P4P #1

Kovalev looked like that because that is what happens when you fight a fellow top 10 P4P fighter and Olympic Gold medalist. GGG has no amatuer standout around his weight class like DeGale, Ward, Gvozdyk, Beterbiev, or any top 10 P4P fighters like Ward and Kovalev available in his weight class to push him like Ward and Kovalev pushed eachother. So it's unfair to say GGG who fights the Stevens and Lemiuex's of the world is better than Kovalev who had to go through Hopkins and Ward to prove himself
          P4P is when you take a set of skills and see how this set of skills would do in different weight classes. In terms of pure technical skill then yes Chocolatito is more equipped. He has a more diverse skill set. Being more entertaining and exciting is just a bonus.

Comment

Originally posted by Canelo and GGG View Post
            i agree on list,but Pacman or Floyd wwasnt takeing on feared opponents .one again true P4P can fight only in one division his whole careere and its ok.If Floyd would fight only in 135 and 140 he would be P4P number 1 of this era too.

some fighters are not naturaly build to move up ,and some like natural LHW can move only 2 classes ,and Featherweight can move milion classes but that mean little.
            Canelo was pretty feared when a 37 year old Mayweather took him on. Kid coming into fights weighing 175 pounds and is practically almost a heavyweight now it was at a catch weight but no one with any clout but Floyd stepped up and fought him.

And Pacquiao fought the concrete hand man himself in Margacheato at Middleweight!

Bro that's P4P these guys jumping into the ring with guys weighing 15 20 pounds more than them. That to me is the definition of Pound 4 Pound. That's really what it is.

Staying at 1 weight class is not really P4P unless you cleaning it out and no one else is willing to step up in fight you due to fear or whatever the case may be.

Comment

Originally posted by Realizniguhnit View Post
              Canelo was pretty feared when a 37 year old Mayweather took him on. Kid coming into fights weighing 175 pounds and is practically almost a heavyweight now it was at a catch weight but no one with any clout but Floyd stepped up and fought him.

And Pacquiao fought the concrete hand man himself in Margacheato at Middleweight!

Bro that's P4P these guys jumping into the ring with guys weighing 15 20 pounds more than them. That to me is the definition of Pound 4 Pound. That's really what it is.

Staying at 1 weight class is not really P4P unless you cleaning it out and no one else is willing to step up in fight you due to fear or whatever the case may be.
              We will agree to disagree

now if Pacquaio would take on Margo or Cotto in 154 thats impressive ,or full WW limit

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
                GGG is absolutely not better or as diverse, skilled or as big.
                Kovalevs far more precise, uses angles better, better combination puncher, far better counter puncher.

I know its not a popular opinion but its night and day and he's shown it at at the highest level.

GGG gets whitewashed by Ward
                Kovalev is flatout better than GGG in every department.

Ggg gets beat soundly by ward and gets murdered by kovalev. He can't get inside without eating huge shots and as we saw kovalev can box. He's not a slugger like I thought he actually boxes very well. His style is very identical to Chad Dawson's.

Comment

Of course GGG is the better and more exciting fighter. In addition, he believes in taking risks in the ring and loves to hit.

Moreover, he has that killer instinct. Once he smells blood, he literally tries to decapitate his opponent's heads from their bodies.

I think that Gennady Golovkin would give Andre Ward a real serious run for his money at this stage. He might be the lighter fighter but he is the heavier puncher also, which would make for a very intriguing style match up.

Comment

This fool be saying some of the dumbest **** I read. I swear, JMM sounds like an NSB poster.
                    Originally posted by kafkod View Post
                    The only thing that Kovalev's loss proved is that Kovalev is better than Ward.
                    Or proved that Kovalev actually has some balls to fight someone with a pulse. Funny how supposedly people are ducking Golovkin but somehow no one is ducking Kovalev, the bigger guy.

Comment

Originally posted by hrt3333 View Post
                      Let Chocolatito or Golovkin fight someone as good as Andre Ward or Kovalev and see how they look first.

Golovkin looked like he lost motivation and didn't even train hard against Brook because he knew he'd KO him.
                      You hit the nail on the head because it's like comparing apple to oranges when it comes to competition level. It's way easier for GGG to look super when he's facing C-level opposition and Kovalev opposition is way higher.

Comment

Working...
                      X