Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who Was The Best 'Swarmer'/Pressure Fighter In History?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Orlando Canizales at bantamweight was the complete package. He had KO power with beautiful technique. Canizales had amazing footwork and a killer instinct. Check out his title fight with Kevin Seabrook for a great example of the "sweet science", hit, not get hit and hit again.

Comment

Originally posted by ruedboy View Post
      Orlando Canizales at bantamweight was the complete package. He had KO power with beautiful technique. Canizales had amazing footwork and a killer instinct. Check out his title fight with Kevin Seabrook for a great example of the "sweet science", hit, not get hit and hit again.
      Just watched their first fight. That was a pretty big masterclass on Canizales' part, especially the first five rounds. That's the type of fighter I love the most - Someone who can stand toe and toe and connect, and still rarely get hit in the process.

Comment

duran

and mike tyson was a swarmer like joe frazier was

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
          Frazier's workrate and stamina was just unreal. You don't see anything like that today outside of the lowest weight divisions.
          When was Frazier drug-tested?

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
            Henry Armstrong

How many pressure fighters will ever be able to win titles from 126-147 and be able to hang with middleweights

Most pressure fighters don't do well moving up in weight or fighting certain styles

he went on a tear with over 50 wins and close to that amount of knockouts fighting very good opposition

Add into the fact he had fast legs, great head movement, a great chin, and could roll punches very well, didn't smother his work, could throw every punch in the book.....he is the prototype of a pressure fighter
            Jung Koo Chang
            Fighting Harada

Comment

Originally posted by {Darko} View Post
              Jung Koo Chang
              Fighting Harada
              I'm not versed enough in Chang to comment, but Harass as great as he was didn't beat the same level of fighters as offer or as long as Armstrong. No slight, just my own observation.

Comment

Originally posted by puga View Post
                duran

and mike tyson was a swarmer like joe frazier was
                I dont think Tyson fought that much like Frazier tbh

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                  mike tyson is not a swarmer. he didn't want to get all the way insdie where he could be held. he stayed at a middle distance, moved his head and his feet, and punched in combination. he was extremely technical for a HW.
                  yes, all that. Tyson also emphasized footwork early on. The plodding 90's version was not nearly as good in any way

Comment

Originally posted by KLockard23 View Post
                    Just watched their first fight. That was a pretty big masterclass on Canizales' part, especially the first five rounds. That's the type of fighter I love the most - Someone who can stand toe and toe and connect, and still rarely get hit in the process.
                    Same here. Canizales reminded me a bit of Duran with those short, pinpoint punches and the way he could stay in the pocket. Amazing footwork too, just a pleasure to watch. Nothing like all the holding we see now.

Comment

Working...
                    X