No announcement yet.

Where does Billy Conn rate P4P?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where does Billy Conn rate P4P?

I'm not really one for pound for pound lists. I think it's hard enough to compare fighters from different eras without comparing those from different eras AND different eras.

That said I am interested to see where people rank Billy Conn. His name is rarely brought up in discussions about the best P4P fighters ever yet his resume is awesome.

He is one of the greatest light-heavyweights ever, he beat a host of hall of famers at middleweight and was competitive at heavyweight as well.

Interestingly Ring Magazine ranked him as the 9th best light-heavyweight (about right I feel) of all time, the 10th best middleweight (probably a little high) and the 57th best boxer P4P of the last 80 years (seems WAY to low for me).

It seems to me Billy Conn has one of THE great boxing resumes. What do you guys think?

I agree.

Definitely a very underrated resume.

Top 50 ATG for sure.

Comment

I have him as #43 on my all-time P4P top 100 list, and #6 on my all-time Light Heavyweight list.

Comment

Would I be overstating his case if I said I thought he belonged in the p4p top 20? As I said before I've never actually tried to do an all-time p4p list. But I do rank each division and I have Conn in the top 10 for light-heavy and top 16 for middleweight. The only other fighters I have ranked in the top 20 of more than one of the original divisions are Henry Armstrong, SRR, Sam Langford, Ezzard Charles, Harry Greb, Charley Burley and Emile Griffith. That is elite company. That is why I think Conn should be ranked amongst the elite P4P.

Comment

Working...
        X