No announcement yet.

Was Devon Pulling his Punches?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Slyboots View Post
    Man, what's up with Devon's stiffness? The guy just has no agility whatsoever and fights in a very conventional manner. He lacks any sort of unpredictability. That's a huge disadvantage for him and it showed in this fight and the Kotelnik fight.

And watching Devon throwing flurries is just pathetic and also hilarious. He looks likes he's just wildly flailing his arms.
    Exactly.

Dom made an excellent point in that Devon's stiffness is effecting his power in his punches.

He needs to relax a little.

Comment

Originally posted by Tha Executioner View Post
      Exactly.

Dom made an excellent point in that Devon's stiffness is effecting his power in his punches.

He needs to relax a little.
      Yeah, relaxing is one thing, but that's not gonna help him completely overcome that problem.

IMO, I think it's just the way he's been trained by Cunningham. He's still young and if he gets a better trainer, I think maybe he can be taught some new skills. Cuz right now, he can't slip punches worth crap and watching him flurry is painful.

Comment

He always does that, he punches short and never through the opponent, when he does 1 2 he barely crosses over, maybe he just wants to look faster than he is?

Comment

Originally posted by Slyboots View Post
          Yeah, relaxing is one thing, but that's not gonna help him completely overcome that problem.

IMO, I think it's just the way he's been trained by Cunningham. He's still young and if he gets a better trainer, I think maybe he can be taught some new skills. Cuz right now, he can't slip punches worth crap and watching him flurry is painful.
          Freddie Roach.

Him still being young is a big plus.

Comment

Originally posted by johncods View Post
            he did, because he was scared ****less. He should dump that dumbass trainer of his.

What irks me more is bradley doesn't even have great power and devon fought him like he was this ruthless KO artist.
            I thought he was shortchanging all of his combinations and his jab was coming up short too, he just emphasises his punches with that loud yelp of his to try to convince the judges he is being active but he is really just shadow boxing on the backfoot. He did the same thing against Kotelnik. It was like he was waiting for Bradley to lead in and headbutt his fist, but instead he headbutted his face 4 times.

And as for Cunningham, who i think has done a wonderful job with Alexander, he wasnt up to par on fightnight. Instead of willing his fighter on to lift the intensity and work rate, he acted as if everything was going to plan and treating Devon as if it was his first day of kindergarted. Then he reved up at the wrong time, his fighter was clearly nervous and struggling with a difficult opponent and had just been cut with a headbutt in the biggest fight of his career. Cunningham decided to vent his frustrations at the referee instead of giving his fighter some feedback about what he needed to do and what he was doing well.

Maybe Devon wasnt the only one nervous, and in contrast Bradleys corner (who i thought looked like a group of spastics first time i layed eyes on them) handled themselves like professionals and deservingly got their fighter over the line.

Comment

What a dissapointing performance, dissapointing fight. The problem with Devon is that he doesn't commit to his punches, he doesn't sit on them, he arm punches a lot and just flings his shots. He's got amazing speed and quickness but unless he plants his feet, no power will come from it. What an ugly fight that was, I was so wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by El 7 Mares V.2 View Post
                What a dissapointing performance, dissapointing fight. The problem with Devon is that he doesn't commit to his punches, he doesn't sit on them, he arm punches a lot and just flings his shots. He's got amazing speed and quickness but unless he plants his feet, no power will come from it. What an ugly fight that was, I was so wrong.
                Yeah man..

I lost in total of 198 million on Devon..

Comment

Originally posted by johncods View Post
                  he did, because he was scared ****less. He should dump that dumbass trainer of his.

What irks me more is bradley doesn't even have great power and devon fought him like he was this ruthless KO artist.
                  What I saw too. He looked like he was either confident he could outbox Bradley, which is ridiculous, or he was scared to engage. Shame after all his talk.

I guess the last two fights have shown that Alexander quickly loses confidence if a guy is able to make him miss and counter, and also that so many people extremely overrated his power because of the Urango fight.

Comment

Alexander has looked like a non-puncher in his last two fights.

And that after taking out an iron-chinned Urango.

Comment

Devon just wasnt as good as advertised and thats it. I find it funny that people had him as a future p4p guy based off a fight with Urango that wasnt the great performance it was made out to be. He is a solid young fighter who probably will hold a belt again and will be in the top 5 at jrww for the next few years but imo he just doesnt have what it takes to be truly elite.

Comment

Working...
                      X