No announcement yet.

Cleveland Williams' counter punches?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by -D33Pwaters- View Post
    Thanks for the links. I'll read these later on and get back to you.
    I hope you have had time to read the links i listed for you.All agree that there was just a little over 2,000 fans at the fight.

Back then Liston was said to be invinsible and unbeatable by most of the boxing writer,trainers,and fans.He was menacing and looked impossible to knock out.

He had tremendous neck muscles,developed by standing on his head and rotating his neck with the whole weight of his body bearing right down on it.It looked impossible to knock him out.

The odds for the first fight were 10-1 in favor of Liston.

The associated Press pre-fight poll showed 30 writers picking Liston and 3 for Ali.

The United Press International was 43 to 3 for Liston.

Like i said he was said to be unbeatable and invinsible by almost all the boxing experts,boxing writers,trainers,and fans.So knocking him out seemed impossible! And anybody really believing that Muhammad Ali knocked him down in the 1st round with that "light" right hand counter needs to look back and see how Sonny Liston had a granite chin and a thick neck with tremendous muscles.Plus taking very hard counter punches from Cleveland Williams that barley made Sonny blink.He was a monster and very menacing.More than Mike Tyson.He fought 10 rounds with a broken jaw early in his career against a tough veteran fighter.Liston hit him so hard in the 10th and final round that he stepped out of the ring!! That fight was the only blemish on his record(Which he avenged) when early in his career,when he fought Muhammad ALI.He destroyed everybody!

I'm just going back in time and trying to show you how impossible it looked to knock him out.And then showing how improbable it was that Ali's "light" right hand counter knocked Liston down.The question remains....Why did Sonny take a dive?

Comment

i have checked it’s really great

Comment

When Liston was a teenager he was in a Adult Prison.That is where he took up boxing.As a teenager he was the Prison Champion!

He spent 2 years in Prison that time,for armed burgulary.But he would return to Prison again while fighting as a pro.For beating up a police officer.He was off for almost 2 years before returning and cleaning out the Heavyweight division by destoying everybody,and then destroying Floyd Patterson twice in the first round.

This is the Liston that Muhammad Ali had to face.He seemed impossible to beat or knockout.There is no way that Ali's "light" counter right hand knocked Liston down.Sonny took a dive.Almost everybody agrees with that.But why did Sonny take a dive?

Comment

Working...
        X