No announcement yet.

Look Back In Anger II: Rereviewing Wladski "Wlad" Klitschko vs. David Haye

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Look Back In Anger II: Rereviewing Wladski "Wlad" Klitschko vs. David Haye

As my first review of a "classic" bout from recent history went down quite well, I thought I'd take a look at another barnburner....

ROUND ONE:

This fight was eagerly anticipated for some years, but, truth to tell, it was a couple of years past point of interest when it finally happened. It didn't come eight years too late and have the brass balls to call itself "fight of the century", but it was certainly not the event it could have been.

After the gayest ring walks in history ("I vill go und get my bruzzer" "I'm ummmmm... definitely kept waiting... definitely") we get the fight. Well, I say "fight".

Now, I didn't actually have any problem whatsoever with the first third of this fight. We all really know that David "Kiss Chase" Haye wouldn't go toe-to-toe and it'd be strategic, so it's no biggee. And even though I scored the first four 3-1 in favour of Wlad, he was in the fight... psychologically, if nothing else. Goading Wlad, getting inside his head - there are several points where Wlad looks so angry he almost wants to throw a right hand - he even opens a cut under Wlad's eye. It's only from round 5 on that the ***gotry starts to really creep in. From rounds 1-4 Haye looks like a guy pacing himself with a plan... from rounds 5-12 he looks like a Mexican who's just seen GGG enter the building and said "tell my fans that I was always a career light middleweight, honest."

On the night I have to admit that I didn't like Haye's extra long beard, and I did think that Wlad was edging the dish off, so I knew it wouldn't come off that well. But even though I do like Haye, he'd recently been on chat shows that my mum (mom, Fat Yanks) watches, talking about blow jobs, so his crassness was getting on my nerves. Wlad had to win in the name of manners.

In the first round you can see concern on Wlad's face as he's unable to land a single clinch. When he gets back to the corner Manny Steward has to calm him down, saying "you're trying to rush into it, relax and take your time... holding on like a raving faggot will come naturally as long as you don't force it." However, his fans must have felt something was amiss to see a key piece of his arsenal missing in the early stages of the fight.

At the time I scored this for Wlad, and still probably do, but I think it's fair to say that it's a close round that could realistically go either way. Unless you're Freedom, then it's a 10-4 round for Wlad.

ROUND TWO:

The most notable part of round one was Haye visiting the canvas after a botched clinch from Wlad. Wlad had never scored so low on grab-u-box before, and his fans were dismayed.

Here Wlad manages to land four right hands, which is a surprise as they have a further distance to travel than his jabs which miss. I can only conclude that Haye was surprised he threw one, let alone four. Although Wlad is more aggressive and committing more, both are still pawing like fags, a pair of shaky-chinned ****s who don't want to get cracked.

When Haye gets close Wlad paws at him, pulls him a bit. He reminds me of a cat trying to kill a mouse... if the mouse comes towards him he grabs it and holds it just in case.

"Nyet! Can't let mouseski go... I might get countered and my brother Vitali vill have to take rimattcchhh!"

Haye gets little done in this interesting (IMO) chess match, though still credits himself fairly admirably at this early stage. 10-9 Wladski.

ROUND THREE:

These days I almost hate David Haye, he's like a confidence trickster, constantly selling TV companies utter ****e and killing the sport in the eyes of the UK public. A fight against a mid-40s Shannon "The Asthma Cannon" Briggs would be enough of a piss-take by itself, but we even had to have both in "warm up" bouts before it. He's a joke.

Back here, though, he still has something. He's slower these days, in possession of moobs, and nowhere near as much a dish. Back in this era, I felt he COULD have potentially taken over the division. Potentially.

While this round is fairly even on punches landed, Haye lands about three or four significant shots in this one, seeing Wlad initiate the move known as "clinchski". It's Haye's second visit to the canvas without a KD. Haye talks to Wlad often, and you suspect that something may happen. Nothing really does, though.

One significant moment comes towards the end of the round, where Wladski gets aggressive and goes for a two-fisted attack, only for Haye to beckon him in. This kind of fight - both standing in front of each other, blasting with both hands - would obviously be incredibly exciting for the minute (max) it would last. Both are heavy-handed, shaky-chinned ****ers. Neither are at optimum levels for power, one throwing up, one throwing down and, while I suspect Wladski could take a flush Gayemaker more than the reverse (I could be wrong, though) Haye would have the edge in handspeed. I think even the most fervent Kliteratti would agree that such a scenario would be something like a 50-50 toss up that could go either way, and so sensible Wladski goes back to the jabski.

10-9 Haye.

ROUND FOUR:

What's interesting is the corners, which I didn't see on the advert-led UK broadcast (putting ads on PPV broadcasts... they take the fucking piss), and the HBO ragging. SKY TV weren't exactly full of praise for Haye's antics, but fuck me Larry's going at it. Roy, being Roy, makes it about himself.

Most interesting is Manny Steward, who tells Wlad after three that he's not sure which way the fight is going, that Haye may be taking these rounds. After the fourth, he tells Wlad that he allowed Haye to steal it. I disagree, there... even though Haye threw three Gayemakers at the end (none of which appeared to land flush, but all of which made Wlad **** himself) I thought Wlad won this one fairly clearly.

10-9 Wladski

ROUND FIVE:

In fairness, Haye kind of did more in this round than I recalled (Manny Steward gives Wlad **** when he gets back to the corner) but it's now becoming a joke. It's all skittering around, then maybe six attempted shots. And every time he gets close to Wlad, he gets a clinchski or pushed onto the canvas, or Wlad backs away... if this is a chess match, it's a chess match where both players keep moving their pieces out of the way. Neither gets a checkmate, but Wlad gets to say "I moved my chess pieces betterski." Call me a homer, but I kind of think that maybe Haye DID damage his toe, as his offence is so far off... when he does try and throw his Gayemakers at Wlad, most of them are so wide of the target they're further than a Jew's hand from his wallet when it's time to buy a round.

10-9 Wladski

ROUND SIX:

Piss-taking aside though, this is a heckuva lot better from Haye than I'd recalled at this relatively late stage of the fight. I'd remembered him doing reasonably okay for the first third, then letting Wlad take over. But while Wlad's the aggressor here, Haye is the one landing more heavily, with counterpunches that even open a sizeable cut below Wlad's eye. I'd recalled that cut opening earlier, in first three rounds, so it was a surprise to see it happen in the middle rounds.

I scored this a Haye round, making it 4-2 Wlad to this point, but, as I said, the first round was close. So at this stage you could say it was even on the scorecards without too much of a stretch, a lot better than the early blow out some expected.

Just a shame after this point it goes **** up...

ROUND SEVEN:

This is, of course, the round where Wladski gets a point deduction for, to use the technical term, "holding on like a faggot". Now, I'm in two minds here. In one sense, I think Wlad should be deducted at least one point every single fight for these pretty disgraceful tactics - I know the Kliteratti disagree with me on this, and think that a prime Mike Tyson made his fights dull by not clinching for two minutes of every round. But it's borderline cheating to me. Maybe not even borderline, really. However, in this particular fight, largely because Haye isn't in grabbing range often enough, Wlad isn't that bad by his usual standards. Not only that, but Haye is such a bitch about it. He makes such a meal of it and contests every little transgression to the referee so often you'd swear it was a Sven Ottke highlight reel.

This said, I - again, not what I recalled - arguably gave Haye the round. At best it's 9-9 for Wladski, given the deduction, but I felt Haye nicked this one, being surprisingly aggressive and active. I can only assume that he does nothing in the next five rounds, or that I'm now watching without anticipation. This is certainly more interesting than I recalled, and we're now in a stage of the fight where Haye is arguably ahead on points. I have it 67-66 to Wladski, but the opposite score with the close opening round wouldn't be out of the question IMO.

ROUND EIGHT:

I'd noted that Haye had done a reasonable job of counterpunching in round six and had opened a sizeable cut under Wlad's eye. This, despite the fact that he did nothing at all after round three and basically quit (c. The Kliteratti Times).

At the time of watching I had this 4-2 Wlad for the first half, then Wlad walking away with it. On rewatch, now I'm not expecting Haye to do something major, I can see him doing subtler things. This round is close, but who scores the more landed, heavier shots? Klitty is the aggressor, and Haye is clearly frustrated with his ******ry at the end bell, but it's Gaye who is slipping and landing what precious little there is to be landed, in the main.

After this round we go to Clinchubox, a system I don't hold to any great reverence, but does tell us that after eight completed rounds Wlad had landed 61 punches. That's right... take the piss all you want, do all the routines about "60 of them were the jab", but he's landed an average of less than 8 a round. And before you DO take the piss out of Wladski, let's remind ourselves that he's the aggressor in the fight... after 8 rounds Gaye has managed a pathetic 4 per round.

In what version of reality can you win a fight by landing EIGHT punches a round? Even Bernard Hopkins would complain about the low output. It takes a special kind of fighter to be outpointed by a guy landing eight punches a round, and Haye is special. Special ****ing needs.

Still, I thought Haye edged this one.

ROUND NINE:

This fight is actually a far more pleasant surprise than I'd recalled. I know the Kliteratti Gazette said that Wlad threw 10,000 punches (including 9 right hands) and Haye shit himself from rounds 4-12, but take a look at this round nine. They both go for it at points, Haye ragged, but he lands a reasonable right within the first thirty seconds or so. Klitty edges the round, but it's by no means the tiresome shut out I recalled it as. I know the judges gave Klitty about 11 rounds, but I don't give a **** what they say... I thought, at the time, that Haye was content to be a dance partner, but he's trying here.

My score on first view was 116-110 to Klitty (both have a point deducted, remember) but I think it's closer than that. Or it might not be when I get to the end.

86-85 Klitty.

ROUND TEN:

At times, I do believe that Haye may have foot problems, but obviously it's very unlikely he'll go through Klitty. He's a great salesman for a fight (something I believe the Klits appreciate, away from the cameras) but he obviously won't go toe-to-toe with a much bigger man, and you wouldn't expect him to. But when even the Batty Byrd was getting a hole drilled in his head, then I find it really compelling to see him slipping such a variety of shots, like Wlad's jab, or Wlad's jab, or Wlad's jab. To say that Haye is just like Fat Eddie Chambers is doing the young dish a disservice (dishservice?) IMO. People say that Haye did nothing, but after round seven Manny is on the verge of telling Wlad it's another Imbragimov for his low output, and believes that Haye may be nicking the rounds.

Sure, it's BOUND to seem bad if you go into a fight threatening an explosive KO and then play cat and mouse for 12 rounds. But surely no one really expected anything else, did they? And if they did, they have only themselves to blame. I thought Gaye let himself down on this night, but the odds were always going to be against him, even if the fact that Wlad's the bigger man has no bearing on it. (c. Klit Monthly)

If Haye was a modest, humble young dish then people would surely applaud this effort and say he gave it a decent go, and did better than the vast majority of Wlad's opponents. Sadly, his entire modus operandi is to offend to sell tickets, and so he didn't get that benefit.

The end of this sees Klitschko land a right, which appears to land flush. I thought Haye had a ****ty chin, but not only does he take it, but he tries to come right back with two of his own. They both miss, as Wlad initiates his third clinch to excite his own fans. This one is an easy one to score, as Haye isn't able to get anything off at all. But if Haye was doing nothing in there, Wladski would just go through him, right? Wlad isn't demolishing him, and it's not just because Haye has bought new tyres for his bike. In fact, it's rare to see a HW fight where the feints outnumber the punches.

96-94 Klitty.

ROUND ELEVEN:

"You haven't dominated, he hasn't dominated, this fight could be either way" - Manny Steward, after round ten.

Haye is wild and ragged here, but, to his credit, knows he now needs to be. Another easy round to score, as Klitty can easily avoid such telegraphed shots as Haye goes all out in desperation. He's far more on his shield than I recalled tbh.

However, any sensible scoring of the fight is shat on by the ref's bull**** in the first minute here. Haye - who has gone down against Klitschko almost as many times as Freedom would - gets a push scored as a knockdown. If the ref had said "I'm fed up with you going down like an Andre Dirrell tribute act and *****ing about it, I'm taking a point", it'd be fair enough. But he doesn't, he scores a clear push a KD. I'm almost tempted to discount it, as it's BS.

Would have been 106-103 Klitty, but it's gotta be 106-102 Klitty.

ROUND TWELVE:

After eleven rounds, the all-dominating Klitty's hit rate has now gone down to an average of seven landed punches per round. (Haye is at 3.75).

I don't actually believe those stats, far from it. Compubox is bull****, really, innit? I believe in the ratio, but not the low output.

Anyway, this is actually a damn decent final round, one taken by Klitty (Gaye frustratingly coasts for the last thirty seconds when he should have just said "**** it" and threw 1,000 punches and taken his chances) but in the first minute he finally manages to land a semi-decent Gayemaker. Wlad, surprisingly........... holds on like a raving faggot.

Before Fury then Brits had had a bad showing against the Klitschkos. Lennox Lewis famously lost to Vitali because he was behind on points when the fight was stopped, and only Danny Williams - who TKO'd Vitali for three-and-a-half-years - had success. But, while Haye did better than I recalled, there is a bit lacking from him. After what he was doing wasn't working, I did expect a bit more "balls to the wall", but he was never that kind of fighter.

115-111 Klitty. Better fight than I recalled tbh, though obviously no great. But by Wlad's usual low standards of excitement, it wasn't another Imbragimov.

The real embarrassment comes AFTER the fight, where Haye gets his toe out. David, you lost the fight... have some DIGNITY, mate.

Of course, by far the best thing about this one was the head-to-head on HBO where Wlad said the greatest thing in the history of boxing: "The flashhhhy flasssssssssh."

But my real frustration was that an hour before the fight I suddenly realised that a fight which had "definite KO involved" written all over it would probably go the distance due to that reason... and I didn't put any money on what was high odds of it happening.

Comment

garbage fight from my memory, robot using his normal safety first tactics, toemaker afraid to pull the trigger at times. Do think it was more competitive than made out though cause they were both as bad as each other, wasnt some shutout by wlad

Comment

Haye's response to his subpar performance:

"Oi get'ta look ott me knob. Onnie was ovah me room lost noight and teh feckin tossah dit'ta feckin numbah onnit.

Comment

Originally posted by chris232 View Post
          garbage fight from my memory, robot using his normal safety first tactics, toemaker afraid to pull the trigger at times. Do think it was more competitive than made out though cause they were both as bad as each other, wasnt some shutout by wlad
          Yeah, it can't really be considered "dominance" when you're landing punches in single figures.

Comment

The Danny Williams TKO thing will never get old to me. That always makes me smile. That and the ****sexual jokes, Jew jokes. I love that ****.

Comment

Originally posted by Cloud View Post
              The Danny Williams TKO thing will never get old to me. That always makes me smile. That and the ****sexual jokes, Jew jokes. I love that ****.
              God bless ya, man.

Comment

ShoulderRoll -Kev- Beercules

Comment

I actually respected David Haye before this fight. He was a fighter who strung together pretty combinations with decent handspeed and good power. He looked like a skillful heavyweight should look.

But his total impotence in this fight made me turn on him forever. How are you going to be a dish then fail to deliver any money shots? It's a total waste of talent.

I would have respected him more if he had taken a chance, risked himself to land a few Hayemakers even if it led to him getting knocked out cold. At least go out on your shield.

He fought too scared and didn't show heart in my opinion.

Comment

This fight shows you how much wlad declined in speed. haye is extremly fast even for cw and yet wlad matched his speed.

that's some of the first comments adam booth said after the fight. 2012 Wlad was remarkably fast.

As for the fight, wlad won comfortably.

Comment

Working...
                    X