US Supreme Court backs gay marriage

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PlasterWraps View Post
    Wait, what?
    "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people"

So the people wanted gay marriage and got it... Nothing wrong with that.
    It's not about what the people want, it's about what the Constitution says. If it was solely about what the people wanted, we'd be a democracy. Instead we are a representative republic.

And it's simple, since marriage is not a duty assigned to the Federal Government in the Constitution, then it falls to the States as per the 10th Amendment.

That's the beauty of the Constitution. It was written in a simple maner so average Americans, ie the people, could understand it. our Founders didn't write it in a complicated manner (legalese) so only lawyers could understand it. they wanted all of us to be able to read, and interpret it, with ease.

Comment

One less influence religious fückwits have on American society. Good riddance.

Though I do maintain that civil unions for all (heterosexuals too) would've been the best route.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
        It's more complicated than how you put it.
        It's not about how I put it, it's about what the 10th Amendment says.

And since the Constitution does not grant the Federal Government the right to define, mandate, etc the institution of marriage, then it's left up to the States.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bad65 View Post
          That's about it. This ruling basically said the 10th Amendment doesn't count.
          Nobody cares about the out dated American constitution, all its given you is racism and mass murder weapons.

Comment

Originally posted by samouraï View Post
            Though I do maintain that civil unions for all (heterosexuals too) would've been the best route.
            This is exactly what I believe should have been done.

It makes the law equal for all, but only as long as it's a 1:1 union/marriage. With this ruling, I'm guessing the muslims and Mormons who advocate having multiple wives are going to demand their equal marriage rights next.

Comment

Originally posted by Monaco View Post
              Nobody cares about the out dated American constitution, ....
              And that's a serious problem. It gives us, the people, rights that cannot be taken away while putting limits on the government. Only a fool, or a dictator, would like to see it thrown away.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bad65 View Post
                It's not about how I put it, it's about what the 10th Amendment says.

And since the Constitution does not grant the Federal Government the right to define, mandate, etc the institution of marriage, then it's left up to the States.
                Again, it's not that simple. The Constitution isn't some divine document that is so simple and perfect in it's writing that everyone can clearly define it.

If that was the case, we wouldn't have the Supreme Court making ruling on the INTERPRETATION of what is in the Constitution.

I'm sure the link I provided, was conveniently ignored and not even read by you. Like I told you before, the world isn't black and white, it's not so simple and it's the reason these discussions exist.

Unless you disagree with the 5-4 ruling and would like to explain why you understand and interpret the Constitution better than 5 members of the Supreme Court....

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingAustralia View Post
                    Wow. Very big news.

So my understanding of American law is a bit patchy...The states all have their own rights to allow or disallow gay marriage, but if the supreme court makes a ruling such as this..they all have to allow it? Yes?
                    Yes they have to allow it, but they still cannot force a church to marry gay people. Separation of church & state laws.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjavi973 View Post
                      LOL, that's a hilarious meme posted by the religious.

First off, there were very few people that actually condemned him for praying after scores.

If anything, he made a ton of money, the NFL sold tons of jerseys, and even with limited talent made a nice career for himself.

Give me a break.

Comment

Working...
                      X