Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who ranks higher Joe Calzaghe or Wladamir on the atg list?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wlad. Had Joe actually wanted to go up to 175 in the late 90's, instead of staying at 168, and fought a mega fight with Roy Jones, and had he won, it'd easily be Joe. Calzaghe's best wins are still Kessler, Lacy, Hopkins (43 yrs old), and Veit. And some people don't even think he beat Hopkins. It's pretty close between Joe and Wlad though. Both are great fighters.

Comment

Not completely sure about Wladimir not avoiding anybody. What happened to a Corrie Sanders rematch? It doesn't matter if it was for a title or not, he should have rematched him. Klitschko probably does have a better record overall than Calzaghe, but Joe was unfortunate that he couldn't get the fights he wanted years ago. It wasn't his fault.

Comment

Right now I have Joe ahead, but Wlad isn't done, so I could see Wlad surpassing him.

Comment

Originally posted by 4CornersKid View Post
          Wlad. Had Joe actually wanted to go up to 175 in the late 90's, instead of staying at 168, and fought a mega fight with Roy Jones, and had he won, it'd easily be Joe. Calzaghe's best wins are still Kessler, Lacy, Hopkins (43 yrs old), and Veit. And some people don't even think he beat Hopkins. It's pretty close between Joe and Wlad though. Both are great fighters.
          So Joe Calzaghe would have to beat a Prime Roy Jones Jr to be ranked above Wlad Klitschko?

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
            darn you! he's been open to facing all challengers....except the number 1 challenger! small little detail. calzaghe and ottke ran the same scam that vitali and wlad are running now.

neither guy is an all time great but calzaghe at least beat the best guy in 2 divisions although hopkins was dubious. wlad's only beaten the best guy once and he's been ko'd 3 times.
            WLAD HAS MOSTLY FOUGHT TOP TEN OPPOSITION WHILE HOLDING ONTO A TITLE. THATS MORE THAN I CAN SAY FOR CALZAGHE. (NOT TAKING MUCH AWAY FROM JOE. I RESPECT HIM EMMENSELY.)

Joe only stepped up after he beat Lacy who he was scared ****less to fight in the first place.

Prime Roy would have destroyed him. He knew it, I know it, you know it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
              So Joe Calzaghe would have to beat a Prime Roy Jones Jr to be ranked above Wlad Klitschko?
              No. I was just saying had that happened and he beat him, he'd EASILY be ahead of Wlad. Right now, it's close.

On a side note, it's funny how Daggum says Floyd is overrated and never beat anyone, but Joe Calzaghe is a beast.....

Comment

Calzaghe. He never lost, and has at some good wins (Eubank, Reid, Lacy, Kessler, Bika, Woodall, Hopkins). Calzaghe has a weaker resume than he should but it still surpasses Vlad's quite comfortably in my opinion. I can understand the argument that Vlad suffers from the fact that he's fought in a weak era but in that era he's lost to the likes of Purity, Brewster and Sanders.

Atthis point I'd say Calzaghe ranks higher on the list but Vlad still has time surpass him, but I'm not sure if there's anyone out there who he could face that could improve his legacy apart from his brother. Maybe Povetkin but he's unproven at this stage.

Comment

Originally posted by paul750 View Post
                  Not completely sure about Wladimir not avoiding anybody. What happened to a Corrie Sanders rematch? It doesn't matter if it was for a title or not, he should have rematched him. Klitschko probably does have a better record overall than Calzaghe, but Joe was unfortunate that he couldn't get the fights he wanted years ago. It wasn't his fault.
                  wlad has a massive size advantage in a crappy division. not to mention his losses.

calzaghe has a better record with bigger names on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Hunt View Post
                    wlad has a massive size advantage in a crappy division. not to mention his losses.

calzaghe has a better record with bigger names on it.
                    Calzaghe has two great names on his resume but the judging public will realize that the three best guys he beat were over the hill, especially Jones.

Prime Kessler and Hopkins were his best wins and that doesn't compare to Wlad's 2 reigns and ko ratio, etc. Had Joe stepped up earlier we would not even be having this conversation.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Invincible View Post
                      Calzaghe has two great names on his resume but the judging public will realize that the three best guys he beat were over the hill, especially Jones.

Prime Kessler and Hopkins were his best wins and that doesn't compare to Wlad's 2 reigns and ko ratio, etc. Had Joe stepped up earlier we would not even be having this conversation.
                      calzaghe world champ for 10 years , undisputed smw champ. big wins inc, eubank , lacy (good win at the time) kessler, then moved up to LHW and beat hopkins and prime jones.

wlad beats bums and gets ko'd by bums and has 1 big boring fight with david haye.

i think people are accidentally picking wlad on this poll

Comment

Working...
                      X