No announcement yet.

Boxing needs USA vs. Great Britain rivalry to gain more interest in mainstream

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USA vs Britain rivalry?

When is the last time British boxers were on the level of American ones? No disrespect but with the exception of a few in the last 100 years, there's been no rivalry whatsoever.

Boxing is fine where it is. Countries like Mexico, Argentina, the Philippines, Puerto Rico, Cuba are keeping it very interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
      I don't agree with you about rivalry between countries being what makes boxing get huge. Good fights and good fighters help boxing. Speaking for myself I'm from New Mexico USA I could care less which country a fighter comes from. I am a fan of boxers, not countries. I root for the fighters I like no matter where they are from or where their opponent is from. I an rooting for Canelo over Mayweather and I rooted for Pacquiao over Bradley and Matthysse over Peterson and I will root for Matthysse to beat Garcia. If GGG fights Quillin I'll be rooting for GGG. Lots of English fighters are big trash talkers and that is just annoying to me. It doesn't make the fight any better. Look at all the trash Haye talked before he fought Wladimir and then look at the way he fought. The USA is the biggest country for boxing and the best American fighters don't need to go to England to possibly get robbed unless an Englishman has a belt they want. The Englishmen sometimes need to come here to possibly get robbed if they want to make it big in the quickest amount of time. Brook, Khan, Hatton, Fury and others all came to fight in the USA to speed their careers along. Many good fighters from other countries like GGG, Matthysse, Khan, Maidana and Macklin do their training and fighting in the USA because Vegas is the fight capitol of the world.
      Murray beat martineau robbed

Khan got 2 deduction for fouls, but Alexander can hug Maidana all day?

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
        When is the last time British boxers were on the level of American ones?
        Hmm let me see...right now?

HW - Britain
        CW - Britain
        LH - USA
        SMW - Britain*
        MW - Britain
        LMW - USA
        WW - USA
        JWW - USA
        LW - Britain
        JLW - USA
        FW - USA
        JFW - Britain
        BW - Britain

* Contentious but Britain has 3 top ten SMWs, the US just the inactive Ward.

Boxing is fine where it is. Countries like Mexico, Argentina, the Philippines, Puerto Rico, Cuba are keeping it very interesting.
        The UK has more ring ranked fighters than all of those countries (bar Mexico).

Comment

USA vs Britain rivalry?

When is the last time British boxers were on the level of American ones?
          No disrespect but with the exception of a few in the last 100 years, there's been no rivalry whatsoever.

ouch thats gotta hurt

Comment

Originally posted by hectari View Post
            ouch thats gotta hurt
            It's true that American fighters (and ones that train there) are above, but the recent scandals with Peterson, Bey, Gamboa, and the pass with the likes of Jones, Mosely, Tarver, Holyfield I do wonder who else and how often it is used there.

Comment

Originally posted by Master Chief View Post
              Murray beat martineau robbed

Khan got 2 deduction for fouls, but Alexander can hug Maidana all day?
              Try reading my post slowly and carefully. I said "possibly robbed" in regards to American fighters fighting in England and I also said ''possibly robbed" in regards to English fighters fighting in America. Both counties are equally guilty of robbing foriegn fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
                Try reading my post slowly and carefully. I said "possibly robbed" in regards to American fighters fighting in England and I also said ''possibly robbed" in regards to English fighters fighting in America. Both counties are equally guilty of robbing foriegn fighters.
                My bad I was shopping with my GF so read it on the move. Loving internet on phones baby!

The US does have the best locations and money for boxing I agree, but it can be so bias for one fighter that it is a disgrace.

The same is said for the UK too. However it appears that a lot of boxers don't want rematches these days.

Comment

Originally posted by The Weebler II View Post

HW - Britain
                  CW - Britain
                  LH - USA
                  SMW - Britain*
                  MW - Britain
                  LMW - USA
                  WW - USA
                  JWW - USA
                  LW - Britain
                  JLW - USA
                  FW - USA
                  JFW - Britain
                  BW - Britain

one thing I will give the Brits is they do have a better history in the 168 pound class which is a fairly young division.

Comment

Originally posted by The Weebler II View Post

HW - Britain
                    CW - Britain
                    LH - USA
                    SMW - Britain*
                    MW - Britain
                    LMW - USA
                    WW - USA
                    JWW - USA
                    LW - Britain
                    JLW - USA
                    FW - USA
                    JFW - Britain
                    BW - Britain

HW - Wilder would kill Haye and Fury.
                    CW - If Cunningham didn't move up, he would be running the division.
                    SMW - Ward beats Froch's ass (again).
                    MW - Quillin would destroy everybody at MW except Golovkin.
                    LW - Crawford would school everyone on the list, Broner already destroyed the Brits at LW.

America wins.

Comment

USA vs Britain rivalry?

When is the last time British boxers were on the level of American ones? .
                      When you say "level", do you mean testosterone level?

Comment

Working...
                      X