No announcement yet.

DiBella: "Martinez Won't Go Fight Bigger Bums Like Pacquiao"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DiBella: "Martinez Won't Go Fight Bigger Bums Like Pacquiao"

Mike Coppinger at BoxingScene.com spoke with promoter Lou DiBella, who was harsh on poor folks that think his fighter, middleweight champion Sergio Martinez, should at least consider a move up to 168 pounds. Here's what DiBella said about moving up:

"I’m sick of listening to idiots suggest it, and quote me on that, idiots. He is the smaller guy at every weigh-in. He’s smaller than Barker, he’s smaller than Dzinziruk, he walks around at 168. These ’68 pounders walk around at 190. He weighs in for fights at 156, 157, 158. He’s a very small middleweight. At ’68, he would just be overpowered. I’m not gonna do the Pacquiao thing where you go pick a guy bigger than you who sucks."

Since I'm one of the idiots who thinks Sergio should consider moving up or accept that his lot in life right now is as the exciting, highly-talented ruler of a still fairly weak division that doesn't offer him many compelling fights -- that is, do one of those two things instead of focusing too much on welterweights like Manny Pacquiao, Floyd Mayweather Jr, and Miguel Cotto -- I felt compelled to really take a look at what Lou is saying here.

Now, listen, I'm not saying Sergio Martinez is a big middleweight. He isn't. But he's not some little fella battling the Goliath-like behemoths of the middleweight division, either.

Star-divide

Martinez has fought four legit fights in the middleweight division, and one years ago that doesn't really count, where he weighed in at 159. But let's forget that one. In these four fights, Martinez has weighed in at 159, 159½, 157¼, and 158¾. So is he really weighing in at "156, 157, 158"? No, not really.

Does Sergio Martinez really walk around at 168 pounds? He might. But late last year, before Martinez rematched Paul Williams in a fight that had a 157-pound catchweight, the WBC had their 30-day weigh-in for the fight to make sure everyone was on point. Paul Williams weighed 162 pounds. Sergio Martinez weighed 176 pounds

Was he really smaller than Sergiy Dzinziruk? Dziniruk is a 154-pound fighter. Always has been. And sure, Martinez has himself come up to 160. But Dzinziruk is not a big middleweight, either; he's not even a big junior middleweight, really. He's average height for the weight, but he's got a short reach and just doesn't have a big frame at all. For the 30-day weigh-in prior to facing Dzinziruk, he was at 173. On the HBO unofficial scales, Martinez was 170 against Dzinziruk.

Will Barker be bigger than Martinez? Yes, probably. Seeing them standing together, Barker does look like a bigger guy than Sergio.

I know why DiBella would say these things, because it serves his fighter well. This is the guy who said after Martinez beat Dzinziruk that Sergio had proven he was a Hall of Fame fighter. He's doing his job as a promoter to try to shut down any whiff of naysayer rebellion toward his fighter, and speaking only for myself, I say again that I don't think Martinez absolutely has to go to 168. He's fine staying at 160 and ruling the division, and maybe some guys come up from 154 or meet him in the middle from 147.

But is Martinez really that small? No, I don't think he is. Would he be giving up some size at super middleweight? Of course, but I don't think it would be an absurd amount. It's about talent, and I think Martinez has the talent to be successful at super middleweight, and to win meaningful fights there. It's not like I'm saying I want him to go up so he can get starched by someone. I'm confident he could hold his own and then some.

There would be good fights for him at the weight, and bad fights for him at the weight. And to be entirely fair, DiBella does say that they would entertain the idea of fighting Carl Froch, should Froch beat Andre Ward on October 29 to win the Super Six World Boxing Classic. That would be a good fight. But I'm just an idiot, and I'm OK with that.

Who's Darren Barker? Is he a Euro bum or something?

Comment

Originally posted by [PAWN]KLTP View Post
      yea...its really hard to say that when ur fighting smaller bums...serg step it up yo!

Comment

Originally posted by [PAWN]KLTP View Post
        euro level at the best,hes not world class and martines will knock him out in 7 rounds

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Gino Ros View Post

"I’m sick of listening to idiots suggest it, and quote me on that, idiots. He is the smaller guy at every weigh-in. He’s smaller than Barker, he’s smaller than Dzinziruk, he walks around at 168. These ’68 pounders walk around at 190. He weighs in for fights at 156, 157, 158. He’s a very small middleweight. At ’68, he would just be overpowered. I’m not gonna do the Pacquiao thing where you go pick a guy bigger than you who sucks."
            DiBella is looking like a moron now because he wanted Cotto and Margarito. Yet, if they're bums than why did Martinez want to fight them?

DiBella is looking like an idiot. Dibella calling boxers who are champions and former champions bums. Thats funny, that ****ing puta wouldn't last one round in the ring talking like that. How is he going to call champions big bums?

Comment

Originally posted by DempseyRollin View Post
              yea...its really hard to say that when ur fighting smaller bums...serg step it up yo!
              To Sergio's credit, who has he tried to duck at 154 or 160?

He offered the best two recent 154ers to fight. Pacquaio and Mayweather are the best 2 recent 154 champs, and Sergio offered both a fight, Manny **** his pants, and Floyd said it's possible later.

Sergio fought (and ruined) Williams and fought (and ruined) Pavlik.

Remember, the ONLY reason Sergio moved up was to take the Williams fight on short notice.

Comment

true..*******s are stupid they don't understand..they try to hype up pac because he fought cotto and margarito..those 2 used to be good fighters but they were done when pac fought them..cotto got damaged by marga and he had no proper coach with sandiago in his corner..and margarito has no more plaster and he also got smashed by mosley...pac is looking for people who have a name and who're a shell..and correct me if I'm wrong they both came in at a catch weight.

pac the fraud doing his thing lol

Comment

What a crock of sh**. Look, I understand Martinez is getting his chance late and wants the Mayweather or Pacquiao fight so he can capitalize while still able to, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't continue to challenge himself. At the very least he could fight titleholders in his division.

Martinez has plenty of options that he is ignoring at the moment because he is begging like a punk for the payday Mayweather and Pacquiao bring.

Comment

I agree with Lou.

Martinez is an undersized MW in this era. Obviously, his ability helps him bridge that, but I still think that he would've just been too small for the Pavlik of 4 years ago (who did a lot of things in the ring that the Pavlik who faced Martinez had long forgotten). So, yeah, I think it's fair to say that the calls for a move up to 168 are unreasonable.

But could it be that Martinez is stuck between weights at his age? A small MW, but grown out of 154 (perhaps his optimum weight)? How easily could he get down now if 154 is the weight he should ideally be campaigning at? There are maybe two or three interesting and funn fights he could target at JMW if he chose to go back down there.

As for who he could fight at MW - if he could get Julio Jr. in the ring, that's his Stardom right there. Pirog is one he needs to seriously take a look at before long, because time isn't on Martinez' side as far as keeping at the peak of his game is concerned. Then there's Sturm, if he could be lured into the fight somehow. Much else at MW right now is a waste of his time for Martinez.

Comment

Working...
                    X