Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bay Area Prospect Troy King will B a force 2 be reckoned with in the sport of boxing.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrushMyHair View Post
    I'm not sure. I work a friend of mine who I work with might know because he is an amateur boxer in the Bay Area. I can ask him and he could tell me. You don't need to have had an amateur career to be successful but the majority of successful fighters did have Amateur careers. Did Manny Pacquiao have an Amateur career. IDK, I am asking you though.
    manny had a decent amateur career. 50-75 something fights and i think he was part of the national team and won some national tournaments. no international success though.

toney and hopkins both had virtually no amateur experience. hopkins won some local tournaments as a teenager before going to jail, only had like 15-25 fights. toney had like 30, also only on a local level. great record though, only like two or three loses and a boatload of KOs (which is rare in the ams).

as for troy king, i only saw teh fight footage but he looks like he has some talent for sure. looked raw too though, long way to go imo. cant count him out or call him the next great thing at this stage but he is certainly a decent prospect atm.

Comment

Originally posted by Psylence83 View Post
      I don't see anything great about him. Some of his punches had no flow/bit awkward! Flat footed! Fighting a fu@king tomato can who really didn't want to be there!

It's his second Pro Fight. What do you expect. He went to Tijuana for both of his first fights. How are you going to call them Tomato cans when he beats them in their debut fight and the fighters he beat, he beat them on their own home turf. Look the opponents up. They are both from Tijuana.

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
        It looks like he has power for sure.
        What was his amateur career like? He doesn't strike me as guy with much experience in all honesty and looks very unnatural fighting as a southpaw.
        King, a veteran of only about fifteen amateur bouts, spent his unpaid career focusing more on an eventual move to the paid ranks, rather than attempting to rack up an impressive record or capture titles. “My amateur career was just about being comfortable with myself more so than actually winning matches,” says King bluntly. “That may sound funny, but it was all about performing well under the bright lights and doing what I had learned in training and sparring. I want to look fundamentally sound and sharp. That was what I worked on in the amateurs. People told me I could be a good amateur, but I didn’t like the style back then because of the scoring system and I am not a fan of the headgear at all. ”
        http://www.15rounds.com/troy-king-in...ortega-boxing/

Comment

Dude looks so unnatural in the ring, . Seems like he trains his a$$ off and still sucks, . The opponent was better skilled and he's probably just a dishwasher that gets in the ring to make a little bit of extra cash.

Comment

Originally posted by VAGAB0ND View Post
            Dude looks so unnatural in the ring, . Seems like he trains his a$$ off and still sucks, . The opponent was better skilled and he's probably just a dishwasher that gets in the ring to make a little bit of extra cash.
            He could be unnatural in a good way later on in his career. You know who is unnatural in a good way. Bernard Hopkins. Troy King, by know means will be as good as Hopkins, but he has potential and with more experience, he could become a great fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by BrushMyHair View Post
              He could be unnatural in a good way later on in his career. You know who is unnatural in a good way. Bernard Hopkins. Troy King, by know means will be as good as Hopkins, but he has potential and with more experience, he could become a great fighter.
              How old is the guy? If he's under 20 then maybe he can carve out a career for himself. If he's any older than 20 he should get a job at Burger King. Looks like he has good power, but with his lack of boxing fundamentals once he steps up to A-level taxicab drivers he probably won't be able to knock them out so easy.

Comment

His logic is understandable. If he feels like he got what he needed from the amateur rankings, then he should be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by VAGAB0ND View Post
                  How old is the guy? If he's under 20 then maybe he can carve out a career for himself. If he's any older than 20 he should get a job at Burger King. Looks like he has good power, but with his lack of boxing fundamentals once he steps up to A-level taxicab drivers he probably won't be able to knock them out so easy.
                  I will ask my friend who is an amateur boxer how old he is.

Comment

He looks a little bit like Chad Dawson.

Comment

nothing but another kareem mayfield.

Comment

Working...
                      X