Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you younger fans know just how huge of a star Sugar Ray Leonard was?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you younger fans know just how huge of a star Sugar Ray Leonard was?

I remember as a kid just how big Ray Leonard was. He was before Jordan, he changed the game for athletes he was the mega million dollar star who was able to get record number of endorsements, I don't think any other athlete before him did what he did when it came to the type of money he was making.

He built a brand, he was the biggest star in all of sports in the 70s and early 80s.

Ali was a big political name but he wasn't endorsed by sponsors his name is only kept alive today because of how big he was politically and almost all his documentaries deal with the civil rights movement, Ali he was already past his prime when Ray was coming on the scene, Ray was a sports star.

Its crazy when you see Ray Leonard on TV today and remember how famous and huge of a star he was at one point but the younger generation don't really no about him.

He was the most loved boxer, he was the golden boy, nobody hated this man, he was a hero had the looks the good guy image, the fighting skill, I remember those Franklin gloves he used to have.

I think this is how badly boxing has fallen off, while others sports strive boxing had a period where it was basically shut off and niche, this why the name of Ray Leonard has lost its luster.

This is why Jordan was able to still be a huge star after retirement because NBA has grown and continues to grow. Boxing fell off the mainstream eye.

People should be looking at Ray Leonard like sports Royalty the way they look at Jordan, now he can walk into places and not many people know him only those from the older generation, its a damn shame shows the sport of boxing really is nothing like it used to be.

Leonard said it was that commercial that he admired Duran for the first time. He said Duran was playful and respectful and treated his son with kindness and warmth.

Comment

It's because boxing will have lulls in between super fights. SRL was the ****in man, the problem is our sports world is oversaturated and educated sports fans are being found more in mainstream sports catered to casuals. Boxing in itself is a mainstream sport but finding even sports analyst who even know what the **** they are talking about is pretty hard anymore. It's because analyst these days are a student to the sports world at large and boxing seems to come last on there list of importance. Only because less people watch boxing then NBA and NFL. I'm at least thankful for the spiritual poetic analyst we do have like Merchant, Kellerman and maybe Roy. Even Kellerman is kind of an idiot though. Mike Tyson needs to have his own cable boxing show where he analyzes the boxing world. Now that guy is everything Merchant was when it comes to painting a picture of what you are seeing.

Comment

Originally posted by hectari View Post
        I remember as a kid just how big Ray Leonard was. He was before Jordan, he changed the game for athletes he was the mega million dollar star who was able to get record number of endorsements, I don't think any other athlete before him did what he did when it came to the type of money he was making.

He built a brand, he was the biggest star in all of sports in the 70s and early 80s.

Ali was a big political name but he wasn't endorsed by sponsors his name is only kept alive today because of how big he was politically and almost all his documentaries deal with the civil rights movement, Ali he was already past his prime when Ray was coming on the scene, Ray was a sports star.

Its crazy when you see Ray Leonard on TV today and remember how famous and huge of a star he was at one point but the younger generation don't really no about him.

He was the most loved boxer, he was the golden boy, nobody hated this man, he was a hero had the looks the good guy image, the fighting skill, I remember those Franklin gloves he used to have.

I think this is how badly boxing has fallen off, while others sports strive boxing had a period where it was basically shut off and niche, this why the name of Ray Leonard has lost its luster.

This is why Jordan was able to still be a huge star after retirement because NBA has grown and continues to grow. Boxing fell off the mainstream eye.

People should be looking at Ray Leonard like sports Royalty the way they look at Jordan, now he can walk into places and not many people know him only those from the older generation, its a damn shame shows the sport of boxing really is nothing like it used to be.

lol at you downplayin ali as being big just because of political reasons. you just sounded like the young people you're preaching to.

ali was huuuge. he was big around the world because he was great in boxing and the world outside america doesnt give a flying **** if he was an activist or a controversial figure in the draft.

Comment

I honestly don't because from what I understand the majority of the footage available for guys of my generation... Oh **** I thought you meant Robinson.

Comment

Originally posted by Twako View Post
            lol at you downplayin ali as being big just because of political reasons. you just sounded like the young people you're preaching to.

ali was huuuge. he was big around the world because he was great in boxing and the world outside america doesnt give a flying **** if he was an activist or a controversial figure in the draft.
            I think he means that Ali's name has never lost it's luster while Ray's has dropped off more.

Comment

wow he was a boxer? I thought he was just some commentator who wrote a book about giving dudes BJ in cars when he was 18 years old.

Comment

Originally posted by hectari View Post

why didnt i see this sooner. save the pepsi coke debate, 7 UP MOTHA FOCKERSSSS!!!

Comment

I am too young but I love watching Leonard's fights now!

Comment

Duran had SRL number

Comment

Working...
                    X