Clear All

• Excellent article on Michael Dokes

Worth reading.

http://thecruelestsport.com/2012/08/...kes-1958-2012/

He's an excellent writer.

Comment

Originally posted by BigStereotype View Post
      He's an excellent writer.
      When he's focused he's as good as anyone. Sometimes he drifts into self indulgent.

Comment

I'll forgive him for it. He understands boxing in a way that most writers just don't seem to.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
          Excellent article and very well written. Thanks for sharing.

I never knew about the Ohio training camp for Don King's fighters.

Comment

sad tale of a talented fighter

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post

me neither!

Comment

Me neither. With everything that's known about guys like King and Arum, I don't know why anyone would still want to sign with them.

Also agreed, excellent article. I think even if he was straight, he probably doesn't beat Holyfield or become undisputed champion. He probably would've done better against Bowe though.
                Last edited by Anthony342; 01-02-2013, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post

Come to think of it, I did read Larry Holmes book against the odds and I remember him mentioning a training complex or something.

I haven't watched yet. according to the guy whose you tube page i got it from, the camp is a wonderful experience.

Comment

Good piece of feature writing, nicely balancing sports journalism with a wider, more mainstream human interest story.

Some of the literary quotes are 'en petit' pretentious but I am not going to knock a talented, young scribe who is prepared to write passionately about boxing and quote Scott Fitzgerald.

Fascinating insight into Don King's cruel, ruthless and glamorous mindset. One moment you are bathing in 60 litres of Krug Champagne, the next you are not good for a measly $500 loan and just a bit of human kindness/charity.

King rarely comes out of this period looking like a good, wholesome character.... 'nuff said!

Comment

Working...
                    X