No announcement yet.

Ali was a underrated movie.Great opening scene with Sam Cooke

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
    Raging Bull is one of the best films ever.

Ali was a good film. Smith did a great job, and had a daunting task to portray one of the most iconic athletes in sports history.

Voight did well as Howard too. Both got Oscar nominations.
    I disagree.

Scorsese didn't care less about LaMotta. his narrow sensibilities were completely unsympathetic to the man ('uh, some sports guy') and he had to be coaxed into making the film by De Niro, whose pet project/ego-vehicle it was. of course, Scorsese's attitude to the piece became very self-satisfied and warm as he revelled in all the unexpected critical gushing and 'masterpiece' accolades heaped on it down the years (over-praise, imo) - as such, he's more than happy to talk about it now as if it were some great passion of his creative life, for the reason that it has earned him so much flattering kudos.
    De Niro, meanwhile, captured some superficial sense of LaMotta, but was unable to channel Jake's soul (or, perhaps, even realize the depth of it to begin with). it was a macho-vanity performance.

i think it's a heavily flawed film in its unmindfully skewed reflection of Jake. but it looks pretty (here, Scorsese did invest some passion) and Moriarty is worth the price of admission.

Comment

It was a good movie. I liked the Rocky movies better, though.

Comment

Originally posted by ROSS CALIFORNIA View Post
        It was a good movie. I liked the Rocky movies better, though.
        Which Rocky?

Did you like Rocky Five?

Did you know real life boxer Tommy Morrison was actually TOmmy Gunn in Rocky Five?

Here is Tommy Morrison in action as a real life boxer.

Comment

Originally posted by Shogunofharlem1 View Post
          I never really liked ali. To me it sounded more like will smith was doing an ali impression than trying to "be the person"
          for some reason i totally understand this despite what i posted in the first page actually

Comment

Ali is a great film and I try not to miss it whenever it's on television.

My favorite boxing film.

Comment

Ali was great, Will did an incredible job, movie also doesn’t get enough credit for having the best boxing choreography for the fights even in a film. Looked spot on to how his fights went. Very underrated film.

Raging Bull is easily the best boxing film ever. Nothing comes close to it. People who prefer Rocky, or the fighter or any other boxing movie simply should jump off a bridge.

Comment

Originally posted by S. Saddler 1310 View Post
                Ali is a movie i didn't need to see. the wealth of Ali documentary material available always rendered it redundant, for me. the real thing will always be more remarkable. i just could never get up for watching it.
                Yeah I get that. Ali was much more interesting than any movie version of him could ever be. Nice as a tribute, but not particularly illuminating in any way.

Comment

The pacing wasn't too good and for some reason, I felt like the character development wasn't completely there. I wanted to understand Muhammad Ali, the person. I wanted to go through his journey of becoming a champion and all the hard work he put in to get there. I wanted to see something that had me excited, similar to Rocky, but with a real boxing legend.

Instead, I received a two hour long movie of Muhammad Ali the public figure, instead of the fighter.

Comment

I loved Ali. Didn't really care for Raging Bull, if I'm honest.

Comment

twas an awesome opening scene, but it was a bit long, wore itself out and not well paced.

Makes me wonder if it was a metaphor for Foreman's performance.
                      Last edited by DreamFighter; 02-04-2013, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X