Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raskat's Christmas Boxing-History-Quiz !

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raskat's Christmas Boxing-History-Quiz !

I made a Boxing History Quiz for the Boxing Historians of the History Section.
    32 Questions -Rules: Don't use boxrec or any other help. And don't read the answers of other people in this thread before doing the quiz yourself.
    Thank you.

[everybody who does the quiz fair and square will get 1 million points from me]

1. Against which fighter did Oscar de la Hoya win the WBO Middleweight Championship oft he world ?

2. Who was the first guy to knock down Roy Jones Jr. in the pros ?

3. One of the most famous trilogies of all time was between Rocky Graziano and whom ….?

4. Which hall of famer was called the „Pittsburgh Windmill“ ?

5. Did Jameel McCline ever win a mayor Heavyweight World Title ?

6. There are only 5 southpaws who won a Heavyweight World Championship in boxing history. Name at least 3 of them !

7. Who won the heavyweight tournament which was staged by the WBA after Muhammad Ali was stripped of his title for refusing to go to the military ?

8. Which one of those is a southpaw ? - a.) Mike McCallum b.) Lloyd Honeyghan c.) Michael Nunn d.) Donald Curry

9. One of the most famous trilogies ever occurred between Barney Ross and whom ?

10. True or False: Floyd Mayweather Senior fought Sugar Ray Leonard for the Welterweight Championship of the World.

11. True or False: Randall „Tex“ Cobb knocked out Earnie Shavers in the pros.

12. Against whom did Muhammad Ali fight in his pro debut?

13. How many times did Sonny Liston defend the heavyweight title before losing it to Muhammad Ali? – a.) once b.) 5 times c.) 10 times

14. Who was the first Heavyweight Champion who broke the rule „they never come back“ which means that he regained the heavyweight title after losing it ?

15. What was Archie Moore’s nickname ?

16. Against whom did Sugar Ray Leonard win the WBC light heavyweight World Championship?

17. Before losing the title to Sugar Ray Leonard, Marvin Hagler had 12 successful middleweight title defenses. Only one of those 12 opponents was able to last the distance with Hagler- who was it ?

18. Who was the trainer of disgraced boxer Luis Resto, who removed padding in his gloves before his fight against Billy Collins Jr. in 1983 ?

19. Who was the first southpaw to win a mayor World Heavyweight Title?

20. Who did Henry Armstrong fight when he tried to win the Middleweight Championship of the World and only got a draw ?

21. Who did Timothy Bradley beat to win his first World Title at light welterweight?

22. True or False: The father of Teddy Atlas was a lawyer.

23. Former Tyson trainer Kevin Rooney fought one Hall of Fame boxer in his pro career and got stopped in the second round. Which hall of famer was it?

24. What was Azumah Nelson‘s nickname?

25. To which opponent did Muhammad Ali repeatedly say „what is my name, what is my name?“ during the fight because he called Ali by his old name „Cassius Clay“ before the fight ?

26. Why was Henry Akinwande disqualified in his Heavyweight Title fight against Lennox Lewis?

27. Hall of famer Matthew Saad Muhammad had 8 successful title defenses oft he WBC light heavyweight title. Against whom did he lose the title in his 9th title defense?

28. Who of these 4 fighters is part of MENSA , the organization for people who have scored in the highest 2 % of takers in an IQ test ? – a.) Eddie Mustafa Muhammad b.) Sugar Ray Leonard c.) Bobby Czyz d .) Jean-Marc Mormeck

29. Who of those 4 Hall of Famers was murdered ? - a.) Barney Ross b.) Lou Ambers c.) Stanley Ketchel d.) Joe Gans

30. How old was Harry Greb when he died? - a.) 32 b.) 62 c.) 92

31. How did French Middleweight Legend and Hall of Famer Marcel Cerdan die ?

32. Who are the only 2 fighters Kostya Tsyzu lost to in his professional career ?
    Last edited by raskat; 12-26-2012, 11:33 AM.

Come on guys...
    I give everybody who does the quiz (without boxrec help) 1 Million points
    Last edited by raskat; 12-26-2012, 07:51 AM.

Comment

1. Against which fighter did Oscar de la Hoya win the WBO Middleweight Championship oft he world ? Felix Sturm

2. Who was the first guy to knock down Roy Jones Jr. in the pros ? Lou Del Valle

3. One of the most famous trilogies of all time was between Rocky Graziano and whom ….? Tony Zale

4. Which hall of famer was called the „Pittsburgh Windmill“ ? Harry Greb

5. Did Jameel McCline ever win a mayor Heavyweight World Title ? Don't think so

6. There are only 5 southpaws who won a Heavyweight World Championship in boxing history. Name at least 3 of them ! Michael Moorer, Corrie Sanders, stuck for a third

7. Who won the heavyweight tournament which was staged by the WBA after Muhammad Ali was stripped of his title for refusing to go to the military ?

8. Which one of those is a southpaw ? - a.) Mike McCallum b.) Lloyd Honeyghan c.) Michael Nunn d.) Donald Curry Michael Nunn*

9. One of the most famous trilogies ever occurred between Barney Ross and whom ?

10. True or False: Floyd Mayweather Senior fought Sugar Ray Leonard for the Welterweight Championship of the World. False. He fought him but I don't think it was for the world title

11. True or False: Randall „Tex“ Cobb knocked out Earnie Shavers in the pros.

12. Against whom did Muhammad Ali fight in his pro debut? I know this buts its not coming to me

13. How many times did Sonny Liston defend the heavyweight title before losing it to Muhammad Ali? – a.) once b.) 5 times c.) 10 times A I believe is rumoured but I'm sure its actually a myth

14. Who was the first Heavyweight Champion who broke the rule „they never come back“ which means that he regained the heavyweight title after losing it ? Muhammad Ali?

15. What was Archie Moore’s nickname ? The olde Mongoose

16. Against whom did Sugar Ray Leonard win the WBC light heavyweight World Championship? Tommy Hearns?

17. Before losing the title to Sugar Ray Leonard, Marvin Hagler had 12 successful middleweight title defenses. Only one of those 12 opponents was able to last the distance with Hagler- who was it ?

18. Who was the trainer of disgraced boxer Luis Resto, who removed padding in his gloves before his fight against Billy Collins Jr. in 1983 ? Can't remember his damn name

19. Who was the first southpaw to win a mayor World Heavyweight Title? Moorer?

20. Who did Henry Armstrong fight when he tried to win the Middleweight Championship of the World and only got a draw ?

21. Who did Timothy Bradley beat to win his first World Title at light welterweight? Junior Witter

22. True or False: The father of Teddy Atlas was a lawyer. True?

23. Former Tyson trainer Kevin Rooney fought one Hall of Fame boxer in his pro career and got stopped in the second round. Which hall of famer was it?

24. What was Azumah Nelson‘s nickname? The professor/The Witchdoctor

25. To which opponent did Muhammad Ali repeatedly say „what is my name, what is my name?“ during the fight because he called Ali by his old name „Cassius Clay“ before the fight ? Floyd Patterson

26. Why was Henry Akinwande disqualified in his Heavyweight Title fight against Lennox Lewis? Can't remember and its doing my head in lol

27. Hall of famer Matthew Saad Muhammad had 8 successful title defenses oft he WBC light heavyweight title. Against whom did he lose the title in his 9th title defense?

28. Who of these 4 fighters is part of MENSA , the organization for people who have scored in the highest 2 % of takers in an IQ test ? – a.) Eddie Mustafa Muhammad b.) Sugar Ray Leonard c.) Bobby Czyz d .) Jean-Marc Mormeck A sheer guess, Mormeck

29. Who of those 4 Hall of Famers was murdered ? - a.) Barney Ross b.) Lou Ambers c.) Stanley Ketchel d.) Joe Gans Stanley Ketchell aged 22 I think he was

30. How old was Harry Greb when he died? - a.) 32 b.) 62 c.) 92 A

31. How did French Middleweight Legend and Hall of Famer Marcel Cerdan die ? Plane crash

32. Who are the only 2 fighters Kostya Tsyzu lost to in his professional career ? Ricky Hatton & Vince Philips

Probably done poor but I didn't Google/Boxrec anything.
      Last edited by dan_cov; 12-26-2012, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post

Probably done poor but I didn't Google/Boxrec anything.
        not bad, and thanks for not using boxrec.
        here are the correct answers:
        http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...72&postcount=3
        Last edited by raskat; 12-26-2012, 09:35 AM.

Comment

6 - Daimani? Byrd? Ibragimov?
          7 - Jimmy Ellis?
          17 - Roberto Duran
          18 - Panama Lewis
          26 - Low blows?
          27 - Dwight Muhammad Qawi

You thinking about adding any more questions?
          Last edited by D-MiZe; 12-26-2012, 10:12 AM.

Comment

29) Ketchell was murdered when he was staying on a farm, I don't know if he owned the farm or if he was just helping out. Well there was a couple and the guy was jealous of Ketchell's interactions with his girlfriend so one day he shot him in the back. Ketchell was only young too, 23/24 I think.

Bonus pt for knowing the story?

11) I'm going to say true, Shavers has quite a few losses and a few are by stoppage.

19) Moorer, 100% sure.

14) Floyd Patterson against Johanneson (sp?)

28) Bobby Czyz?

Comment

Originally posted by D-MiZe View Post
              29) Ketchell was murdered when he was staying on a farm, I don't know if he owned the farm or if he was just helping out. Well there was a couple and the guy was jealous of Ketchell's interactions with his girlfriend so one day he shot him in the back. Ketchell was only young too, 23/24 I think.

Bonus pt for knowing the story?

11) I'm going to say true, Shavers has quite a few losses and a few are by stoppage.

19) Moorer, 100% sure.

14) Floyd Patterson against Johanneson (sp?)

28) Bobby Czyz?
              you gotta do all 32 questions, then you get the points...
              You got a lot right so far

Comment

Originally posted by raskat View Post
                you gotta do all 32 questions, then you get the points...
                You got a lot right so far
                Dan Cov has got right most of the other questions so I was just adding to his.

1) Felix Sturm
                2) Lou Dell Valle
                3) Tony Zale
                4) Harry Greb
                5) No
                6) Moorer, Sanders, Ibragimov, Byrd
                7) Jimmy Ellis
                8) Michael Nunn
                9)
                10) True
                11) True
                12)
                13) Once
                14) Floyd Patterson against Ingemar Johanneson
                15) The Old Mongoose
                16) Can't remember, wasn't Hearns he fought him aftewards at 168.
                17) Roberto Duran
                18) Panama Lewis
                19) Michael Moorer
                20)
                21) Junior Witter in Nottingham, England
                22) False
                23)
                24) The Professor
                25) Patterson & Terrel
                26) Low blows?
                27) Dwight Muhammad Qawi
                28) Bobby Czyz
                29) Ketchell - shotgun to the back
                30) 32
                31) Plane crash on his way to rematch, cannot remember who
                32) Ricky Hatton & Vince Phillips - both stoppages if I remember correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by D-MiZe View Post
                  Dan Cov has got right most of the other questions so I was just adding to his.
                  well, you shouldn't read his answers before you do the quiz yourself...
                  Sent you the million points.

Comment

Originally posted by raskat View Post
                    well, you shouldn't read his answers before you do the quiz yourself...
                    Sent you the million points.
                    Sorry about that.

I can't believe I forgot about the 5th southpaw heavyweight champion, kicking myself.

Comment

Working...
                    X