Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much of the failure of Grant, Long, Brown, Fields, & Orlov is due to their size?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Freedom! View Post
    Yes, height and reach are most important in that sport.
    In high school, I had to guard a guy 6'11. I am 6'4 or so.

His average was 1.8 or something.

Well he scored 4 against me so I was teased by my teammates relentLessly for that.

Some people just suck no matter how big or small they are.

Comment

Very tall boxers don't usually do well in the heavyweight division.

Consider the careers of 6'7" Michael Grant, 7'2" Julius Long, 6'11" Marcellus Brown, 6'8" Tye Fields and 6'9" Evgeny Orlov.

Generally, these very big men are too slow-moving to succeed at the highest level.

There have been VERY FEW few really big men who are athletic enough to become world champions - they seem to give up too much speed and tend to LOSE TO SMALLER MEN, like Willard lost to Dempsey.
      Originally posted by Don Amazin View Post
      Ignorance is bliss, If Ray Lewis, Dwight Howard or Blake Griffin where boxers, they'd give the Klits a hell of a fight... !

Comment

In the original post tunney says nothing about the klits,the case with most of those guys was a late start into the game.for you klit huggers they grew up in the game.

Comment

Originally posted by MARKBNLV View Post
          In the original post tunney says nothing about the klits,the case with most of those guys was a late start into the game.for you klit huggers they grew up in the game.
          Hakeem Olajuwon didn't start playing basketball until he was in high school.

Based on the logic of americans,

any tall guy can be great an all time great at basketball.

Comment

Who's the tattoo freak in you avatar, Tun? I am so sick of all these fights with so much ink. That's why I'm a Jason Litzau fan.

Comment

Originally posted by Check View Post
              Who's the tattoo freak in you avatar, Tun? I am so sick of all these fights with so much ink. That's why I'm a Jason Litzau fan.
              Ricky Burns, the Scottish super featherweight.

He gave us one of the best fights of 2010, when he won his world title.

Comment

Ricky Burns, the Scottish super featherweight.

He gave us one of the best fights of 2010, when he won his world title.
                Never seen him fight. I'll have to check his fight out tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Check View Post
                  Never seen him fight. I'll have to check his fight out tomorrow.
                  Today, bro.

The fight will be in about three hours from now. I'll very likely have a stream at that time, so if you want it, PM me.

Comment

Originally posted by jreckoning View Post
                    Part of the problem with the guys you mentioned in the first post is that nearly all of them came into the game late.

It's not like they were taught at a young age, and continuously worked on their skills while growing.

I think that's one of the big things here.

Promoters see them and think, that's a big dude, he could probably fight or be an attraction, most of those guys started boxing after they grew.
                    This is true. The training they also received is rather suspect. Tye Fields literally can't fight in all seriousness, and any fight he has won is due to his great size and work ethic. The Klitschko brothers received training in combat sports since a very young age and are obviously very gifted athletes as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom!
                      Michael Grant started boxing as a small child.Wlad started boxing at the age of 14.

Vitali didn't start boxing until he was in his 20s.

Stop your mindless hating of the Klitschkos.

I don't know where you're getting that from. Grant only had 12 amateur fights and they didn't happen when he was a small child.

Comment

Working...
                      X