Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's with this myth that Floyd's weakness is southpaws?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The_Sandman View Post
    I mean, yeah I've seen Floyd have trouble with southpaws, but I feel like he's had just as much troubles with if not more with orthodox fighters as well. The only thing I can say is, Floyd's shoulder roll is ineffective against southpaws. And that's just one element of his defense. Don't tell me people are actually going by the Judah and Corley fight. I'm looking at the Shane Mosley, De la Hoya, Castillo, Miguel Cotto. All whom are orthodox fighters who gave Mayweather some troubles as well. So my question here is...how the **** is Mayweather's weakness southpaws? The only thing I can come up with is Pacquiao is a southpaw, therefore people brought up the two southpaws that hurt Mayweather and used it to support their argument that Pac would win.
    Actually it's surprising how little time people spend focusing on Pacquiao being a southpaw. More emphasis gets put on his speed, punching power, unorthodox angles of attack and overall pedigree. He could be a conventional right hander and people would feel exactly the same way.

Comment

Floyd's weakness is taking real challenges
      ,instead he picks,and you fools buy

Comment

Anyone who buys it DKSAB. Plain and simple.

Comment

Originally posted by MayMosPeaHop View Post
          I think every fighter looks ok against FMJ early. Even with them having some success, they do not usually win rounds. I think FMJ uses 3-4 rounds to adjust to every opponent. I do not think Manny will be any different. To me, Manny's main problem will be his lack of a strong jab.
          Corley and Judah both landed some hard shots and Corley buzzed him and Judah appeared to get a glove-touch knockdown. Not a lot of fighters can say that except for Mosley... Oscar Hatton jmm canelo never landed anywhere near as effective...

Originally posted by LarryXXX View Post
          when did i even mention Manny?
          You didn't. But You gotta be able to see the connect... You can't start a thread about a "myth" about southpaws and Floyd and not bring up manny, since this whole myth wasn't a subject till manny and Floyd became a topic

Comment

It came from his father Floyd Sr, when he was in prison he told his brother Roger don't ever let my sun fight a fast relentless southpaw.

Comment

There wouldn't be a myth if his daddy would learn to stfu. Like with many things involving Floyd when it comes to boxing, his dad makes things even worse for him. No doubt Floyd would have fought Manny by now if it wasn't for SR putting fear in Floyd.

Comment

His dad cares like he should.
                He knows Floyd is a great matchmaker

Comment

You can't call it a myth if he's fighting average southpaws.

It's the fact that he has to fight out of the high guard, and does in fact get hit the hardest against southpaws.

He can't rely on the shoulder roll the way he wants, unless on the ropes.

Comment

floyd usually seeks out southpaws when selecting opponents.

Hes fought way more southpaws than the average fighter has. Hes very good with them.

Comment

He has a few bad habits against them. For instance, he tend to back up in a straight line and that's not something that you want to do to avoid the straight left hand. Sometimes, he'll duck low under it which is a common defensive tactic. All I'm saying is as great as Floyd is at judging distance, he'll have problems against southpaws who understand foot placement and won't hesitate to shoot their straight left hand when they have the angle. Other than that, he knows how to get off first and find the angle to land his own straight right hand.

Comment

Working...
                      X