No announcement yet.

Blueprints:The fights which revealed how to beat certain fighters

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BigStereotype View Post
    Cotto-Torres: Torres lost but he got off to a hell of a start with volume punching. Cotto doesn't deal well with pressure.
    Its been a while since Ive seen that fight, would you say that Marg plan was similar to Torres's plan?

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
      Duran vs. Leonard I and II- Although Duran had one loss on his record going into the first Leonard fight, Leonard showed in their first meeting how to neutralize Duran's relentless attack. Although he lost the decision, he clearly had a working strategy going into the second fight, a strategy that caused Duran to quit in frustration from Leonard's footwork and outside combinations.
      How did he do that?

Comment

DLH-Trinidad, Tyson-Douglas.

Comment

Originally posted by -IronMike- View Post
          Good example, do you know of any other fighter which used this tactic against Ali?
          Sorry, can't say I did, one of my gymmates was saying that quarry tried, but I don't see it.

I believe it would be a strategy most swarmers would use against anyone, but I don't think Ali fought too many swarmers. Not that he ducked them I just think there more punchers and boxers in his era, Frazier I think was the only swarmer. That I know of.

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
            Duran vs. Leonard I and II- Although Duran had one loss on his record going into the first Leonard fight, Leonard showed in their first meeting how to neutralize Duran's relentless attack. Although he lost the decision, he clearly had a working strategy going into the second fight, a strategy that caused Duran to quit in frustration from Leonard's footwork and outside combinations.
            Considering you cannot find a single second of fight 2 where Leonard fights as in fight 1...

Considering Leonard did not neutralize anything in their first fight...

What you wrote is bs.

Comment

DLH-Tito (in fact he actual beat him on any sane individual's card)

It was shocking that Tito did not know how to deal with a jab. It looked like no one ever jabbed at him before. Which is of course not true, so maybe it was the jab + knowing that DLH had something behind that jab.

Comment

I was thinking of that as well. His use of lateral movement and feints gave Tito a very hard time
                True but he moved way too much.

Comment

Ali-Frazier I: set the blueprint of how to beat a short left hook dominant fighter. Rahman, Douglas, Holyfield and Ike would all some form of Ali's tactics when they fought Tyson/Tua
                  If you are right (as in actually the first to employee certain moves, ties...), it's a helluva point. Need to think of some older fights of boxer vs left hook weaver, and see what the boxer does!

Toney-McCallum II: McCallum was throwing mainly left hooks, left jabs and circling to Toneys left, away from his counter right, Jones and Griffin would use this stragey when they fought Toney
                  Helluva call.

Morales-Pacquaio: showed that Pac is vunerable to the left jab, straight right combination, Jmm would use the same offensive attack during his second fight with Pac.
                  i am debating on how useful that would be with the improved version of pac we see these days.

Comment

Originally posted by wmute View Post
                    If you are right (as in actually the first to employee certain moves, ties...), it's a helluva point. Need to think of some older fights of boxer vs left hook weaver, and see what the boxer does!
                    one might find similarities in tunney vs dempsey or jeffries vs johnson? dempsey and jeffries both had nice left hooks and fought from the crouch employing lots of slipping though id have to watch all the bouts again before claiming that ali used similar tactics as johnson or tunney against fraizer.

Comment

ken norton certainly swarmed Ali and kept him in the corners.

Comment

Working...
                      X