Collapse
No announcement yet.

The GOAT ladies and gentlemen.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The man with the sweetest punch in the sports history. No one threw a punch as fluid as Mr. Robinsons left hook. Robinson is the greatest fighter of all time and it really is never debated because it isn't really close. Boxing is a sport and its impossible to perfect but Robinson was the closest to doing that.

Comment

Ray Robinson.. the original Sugar Ray.

Comment

Ray Robinson. The best. What else is there to say

Comment

Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post

Why take my opinion? The footage speaks for itself. That is not how the greatest of all time looks against a Mediocre at best Middleweight who punches like a lightweight.

Remember, Jake LaMotta made a grand total of 1 title defense, and he picked up the strap because Marcel Cerdan quit on his stool with an arm injury, Vitali style... Not a world beater in the least...

SRR was a great fighter for his time, but he is WAY over blown, especially considering some of the real technicians of the time such as Pep and Walcott, and Moore
          Wow I think you really underrating Lamotta. True Cerdan quit after due to an arm injury. But, that injury happened from knockdown that Lamotta scored on Cerdan. Cerdan landed on his shoulder.

But, Lamotta also holds wins against the likes of Fritzie Zivic, Tommy Bell, Tony Janiro, and Bob Murphy. Lamotta skills is very underrated, he had very deceptive boxing skills, And, he was good at rolling punches. But, the thing wit him is that he let his pride get to him at times. And, would just charge in there. He was by no means a technician. But, he was sneaky. I say argubly he could be in the top 5 greatest MW of all time.

Comment

Originally posted by jrosales13 View Post
            Wow I think you really underrating Lamotta. True Cerdan quit after due to an arm injury. But, that injury happened from knockdown that Lamotta scored on Cerdan. Cerdan landed on his shoulder.

But, Lamotta also holds wins against the likes of Fritzie Zivic, Tommy Bell, Tony Janiro, and Bob Murphy. Lamotta skills is very underrated, he had very deceptive boxing skills, And, he was good at rolling punches. But, the thing wit him is that he let his pride get to him at times. And, would just charge in there. He was by no means a technician. But, he was sneaky. I say argubly he could be in the top 5 greatest MW of all time.
            Exactly. LaMotta has one of the best middleweights resumes of all time and he ducked no one. LaMotta completely overwhelmed Cerdan in my opinion, injury or not, and he was past his best when he won the title if you ask me.

Robinson said LaMotta had slowed down noticeably in their sixth bout but he was still as strong as ever. LaMotta also surprised Robinson with effective use of the jab which Ray did not expect, but eventually LaMotta ran out of stamina due to having drained himself to make the 160 lb weight limit.

Comment

Originally posted by mangler View Post
              Good thread Bully. I wish SRR wasn't so before my time. I need more of his fights. It's ****ed up the new age of boxing fans always downplay his gr8ness just cuz they ain't get to see it.
              Fukin Riz always does that ****.

I don't even need to see all of his fights to know he's #1 AT. You just look at his record, his fighting frequency, the leaps up in weight and the talent he had in these highlights alone is enough to tell.

Comment

Originally posted by Chev Chelois View Post
                Why basing his lose on LaMotta? He beat him quickly in their rematch Pwill style.
                SRR did not beat Lamotta quickly in the rematch. The first 5 fights went the distance. In the 6th fight they stopped the fight in the 13th rd. It was the ST. Valenines Day Massacre.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
                  Basilio and LaMotta were not wanted in the title picture, in fact LaMotta was forced to take a dive in order to get a title shot. Basilio never did, and as a result he had to overcome numerous obstacles to finally get a deserved chance at the title.

Kid Gavilan was a real action fighter, and was favoured by the powers that were at the time (the mob). Watch the fight against Basilio and see who really won.

Fighters like Fullmer, Basilio and LaMotta get underrated all the time, most likely because of their styles. Basilio was one of the most effective pressure fighters of all time. LaMotta's sheer work rate was too much for better boxers to handle. All of them took on the best slick, talented fighters at the time.

To suggest that the Italian MOB, was favoring a black CUBAN over an ITALIAN AMERICAN is just plain stupid. I'm sorry but just NO.

Also, as one of the best pressure fighters ever, he sure had a hell of a time losing a split decision to a hopelessly past prime Gavilan, who would go on to lose 16 of his next 30 fights.

Comment

the best fighter that has ever lived
                    and always will be the grestest
                    nuff said

Comment

Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post
                      Obviously he would smash todays class of WW's Paul Williams might give him trouble for obvious reasons. Floyd has a good chance of out thinking him if he gets the pace slowed.
                      P-Will would not give SRR trouble. P-Will gets hit too much. He leaves himself open. I mean people don't realize but, SRR had great size for the WW division. He was 5'11 closer to 6ft. If Margarito could win 5rds against him and Quintana be able to outbox. There is no way in hell P-Will gives SRR any kind of trouble.

Floyd pot shotting ways at WW would not be able to keep a beast like SRR off of him. SRR as a WW against another WW was undefeated. As WW SRR was damn near unbeatable bro. The only man who came close is another ATG in Kid Gavilan.

And, people forget that SRR started as a LW. And, even as a LW IMO SRR beats Floyd. If Castillo could give Floyd hell. I shatter to think what SRR would do at 135.

Comment

Working...
                      X