No announcement yet.

Gamboa would still beat Mikey Garcia.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by savorduhflavor View Post
    Gamboa just completely falls apart, he's not mentally strong fighter.

Garcia is the definition of a mentally strong fighter. He would just stay the course and almost let Gamboa beat himself...because he will.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchAndShoot View Post
      No one said anything about big balls and heart in this thread. I'm saying not everyone at 135 is Terence Crawford. Most guys don't make those adjustments, and most guys can't take those bombs.

And like someone else said, he's not making 126, and 130 would be pushing it as well.
      Let's look at his potential LW opponents:

Miguel Vazquez is 5'10 with a long reach and uses every inch of it. He moves well and is probably the best fighter at the weight right now. Bad matchup.

I don't think he beats Mikey Garcia and never have. To me Top Rank played 50 cent for a fool and would have made away like bandits trying to push for that fight.

Richar Abril won't happen because Cuban fighters have a brotherhood.

Ray Beltran is 5'8 with a 68 inch reach and is a pretty big LW himself. He's slow and crude, maybe a good fight but seems high risk no reward to me.

Omar Figuroa is huge LW who will use every bit of his size advantage. Gamboa has the speed advantage but I hate this matchup. It would be a war that's for sure.

Jorge Linares is another big lightweight with a long reach and good skills. That fight will be a war with both fighters taking a lot of damage.

The guy flat out belongs at 126-130. He needs to be fighting guys like Lomachenko, Donaire, Walters, Russell, Gradovich, Uchiyama, Mendez, Miura, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by PBP View Post
        Let's look at his potential LW opponents:

Miguel Vazquez is 5'10 with a long reach and uses every inch of it. He moves well and is probably the best fighter at the weight right now. Bad matchup.

I don't think he beats Mikey Garcia and never have. To me Top Rank played 50 cent for a fool and would have made away like bandits trying to push for that fight.

Richar Abril won't happen because Cuban fighters have a brotherhood.

Ray Beltran is 5'8 with a 68 inch reach and is a pretty big LW himself. He's slow and crude, maybe a good fight but seems high risk no reward to me.

Omar Figuroa is huge LW who will use every bit of his size advantage. Gamboa has the speed advantage but I hate this matchup. It would be a war that's for sure.

Jorge Linares is another big lightweight with a long reach and good skills. That fight will be a war with both fighters taking a lot of damage.

The guy flat out belongs at 126-130. He needs to be fighting guys like Lomachenko, Donaire, Walters, Russell, Gradovich, Uchiyama, Mendez, Miura, etc.
        All you did was list names. Only Beltran and Linares would potentially hurt him. Those other guys MIGHT (highly doubt) out box him, but your original stance was that he should retire because he'd get hurt.

And Vazquez??? Yeah, he's good, but he doesn't help your case at all when you said he should retire. That's like telling a fighter to retire, because they'd have to face Paulie Mallinagi.

Comment

I would still like to see this fight I would lean towards Gamboa. Make it happen TR.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchAndShoot View Post
            All you did was list names. Only Beltran and Linares would potentially hurt him. Those other guys MIGHT (highly doubt) out box him, but your original stance was that he should retire because he'd get hurt.

And Vazquez??? Yeah, he's good, but he doesn't help your case at all when you said he should retire. That's like telling a fighter to retire, because they'd have to face Paulie Mallinagi.
            Vazquez won't hurt him but the size and reach disadvantage would be too much for Gamboa to overcome. Dude, your talking about a 6-7 inch height advantage for Vazquez. Add that with his movement, skill, and discipline. It's just not a good fight at all. Gamboa would look terrible in the ring with this guy. It's not just about being hurt it's about being competitive and giving yourself the best chance to win.

Mikey and Figureroa are huge LW's with big power as well. The only guys that would outbox him on that list would be Vazquez and Mikey. Everybody else would use every bit of their size and strength. If this was Rigo I wouldn't mind because he doesn't get reckless. Gamboa can outbox these slow crude guys for 6 rounds and then do something stupid and end up laying on his ass.

But its all speculation. We'll know the answer once he fights again at 135. I say he's too small at this weight and I'm standing by that. I want to see him succeed and I think he needs to drop the weight and compete closer to his natural weight class. At 135 I just see him as a name fighter that will be at a big disadvantage in every fight he's in.

And other than Mikey, the money is not worth the risk.

Comment

I have to see the Gamboa that emerges from this. It can make or break him.

Comment

Gamboa is one of the most talented fighters of this generation. He has rare athleticism and talent. He has just been poorly managed and is too ****y for his own good. He should have never sniffed the Lightweight division. I would still pick him to beat Garcia and most other guys at his natural weight. Crawford is just a special fighter and I am glad that he is from a place with great sports fans. It's similar to Ward with him being from Oakland only Crawford has a much more fan friendly style.

Comment

Originally posted by DannYankee09 View Post
                  Gamboa was really hurt in there, if he moves down, and doesn't look as his old self he should just retire. He was stupid trading those bombs with a much bigger man. Hopefully he learned his lesson. Get a trainer go back to your weight Gamboa.
                  Gamboa has nothing to apologize for. He is a WARRIOR, always has been !!!!

Rigo should be on twitter apologizing for making people watch his fights.lol

Comment

would be great fight

Comment

Working...
                    X