No announcement yet.

Title Bout

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Title Bout

By popular demand I have dug out my old Title Bout boxing simulation game and will be blogging on the fights and the results. For those who may not be familiar with the game, Title Bout was introduced by the gaming company Avalon Hill in 1979. They offered a host of other sports simulation games and their products were very well respected by gamers. There was really nothing else that even compared to what Avalon Hill was doing in terms of statistical realism, and overall fun. Title Bout is not a game of chance, there are no dice. For what it is, it's a pretty realistic simulation of professional boxing.

The game was also a blast to play and I spent my youth playing it. It's been many years since I've played but I have been really wanting to rediscover it and so with my discovery of the fine folks here on Boxing History section, I have a good enough excuse/reason now. Seems at least a few others share a similar interest in it.

What I will be doing is having classic and dream fights on the game and then posting on the action of the fight, and the results. Not sure yet what exactly that will look like as a post/blog, but hopefully it will be as entertaining for the readers as it is for me, the player/blogger.

In terms of what fighters I have access to it breaks down like this:

I have just about every fighter you can imagine from 1991 going back to the early days of the sport. All the ATGs are included as are a host of other top rated guys from the past. You name him, he's probably in there. Every edition of Title Bout came with these fighters and they have not changed. They are considered to be "in their prime." The initial (1979) edition also came out with modern cards for all top level fighters who were active in 1979, when the game was first issued. I'm pretty sure there is a 1979 Muhammad Ali fighter card whose skills reflected on his card are nothing compared to his prime issue.

I also have updated modern fighter cards that were issued in 1982, as well as updated modern fighter cards issued in 1986/87 and then again in 1990/91. What this means is that some fighters (Tommy Hearns for instance) have multiple cards from different time periods and also reflecting the different weight classes they fought in. The 1979 welterweight Hearns card is very different than the 1990/91 card featuring Tommy as a Super Middleweight.

I have resorted all the cards into their appropriate weight classes and by year issued, and I am currently relearning how to play, most of it is coming right back to me like riding a bike but there are some details of game play that I will have to work out with a few "amateur" fights before I kick off the "real fights" and start blogging/posting on them. When I do start, I already have promised McGoorty I will kick things off with a middlweight dream fight between his favorite fighter, Les Darcy and a favorite of mine Marvelous Marvin Hagler.

I predict Hagler stops Darcy in 13, but we won't know what happens until they fight! Title Bout is impartial, and I have no agenda but just to have fun with it. Still, nothing to stop me from rootin for my home town guy!

I will gladly accept fight requests and if anyone wants to know if a certain fighter is available, just let me know. Once a new fight to play out is decided, it might be cool if people want to do predictions, and/or preview/analysis of the fight, etc. Anything to make it more fun. Please feel free to jump in and contribute in any way you want.

Good stuff bud, lookin forward to this *****

Comment

Hagler UD.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
        Hagler UD.
        GEE !!!,,. LES must be in trouble if Barnburner is picking Hagler,.... cos' I know that he is going with his boxing judgement on this one, that's how impartial Barnburner is because he's voting against his heart, I know he's a loyal Darcy man,........ After all,....... He is the founding member of the LES DARCY MAFIA

Comment

Originally posted by McGoorty View Post
          GEE !!!,,. LES must be in trouble if Barnburner is picking Hagler,.... cos' I know that he is going with his boxing judgement on this one, that's how impartial Barnburner is because he's voting against his heart, I know he's a loyal Darcy man,........ After all,....... He is the founding member of the LES DARCY MAFIA
          But He's a Hagler man to the core too!

Ive not alot of knowledge on Darcy so i will keep my trap shut on this one!

Any reccommended reading on him?

Comment

Originally posted by The Surgeon View Post
            But He's a Hagler man to the core too!

Ive not alot of knowledge on Darcy so i will keep my trap shut on this one!

Any reccommended reading on him?
            Hagler is my favourite fighter

Comment

Not being funny, I think Hagler has the intangibles to go 20 rounds...

I also think Haglers hard jab and straight will punish Darcy as he trys to box his way inside, although Darcy does land his fair share of blows while doing so, Haglers straight punches win him a 15 round decision. Hagler was no chump on the inside either.

Hagler in a decision over 15 rounds - 10-5

Comment

As for next fights I have a few requests.

Dempsey vs Frazier
                Duran vs Gans

Comment

Dempsey vs Frazier
                  Duran vs Gans
                  Fair enough, I'll put them on the list.

Comment

Dempsey vs Frazier
                    Duran vs Gans

I've got a feeling we'll see a Dempsey win. A late TKO or close decision.

I can't call the second fight easily. If the simulation rates Gans's jab as highly as it was, I could see that one being a decision win for him.

Comment

Working...
                    X