No announcement yet.

Moonves to Espinoza - No Haymon unless Mayweather/Pacquiao

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bray26 View Post
    They do, that's why they need this fight. Why hasn't' boxing on network tv? Because people stopped watching. For network programming to work it needs millions of viewers. Only way to sell the advertising. There are not enough die hard boxing fans to keep boxing on regular tv. They need the every day person to watch too in order for it to work. This fight brings all eyes back to boxing. The masses will tune in and hopefully be drawn to boxing and once again popular enough for network tv. Without the fight you're trying to sell a fringe sport to the masses. And it won't work. Because boxing will be extremely unpopular with the masses if this fight isn't made. Watch the backlash on boxing if this fight doesn't get made
    Is it that, or is it just because HBO and Sho simply paid more for the rights to it?

I would venture that HBO and Sho pick boxing up because people watch it, in the same way Sky picks it up in the UK.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bobby Shmurda View Post
      Haymon has the bulk of the world's top boxing talent under his wing.
      He really doesn't man, not even close.

Top 10 fighters per division (Ring)

HW - 2
      CW - 0
      LH - 3
      SM - 3
      MW - 3
      LM - 7
      WW - 6
      JW - 3
      LW - 3
      JL - ?
      FW - 2(?)
      JF - 1(?)

What he does have is a lot of US talent, which is why HBO is switching to showcasing the best talent from the rest of the world.

But there are some top 10 US fighters he doesn't have too like Jennings, Hopkins, Ward, Andrade, Bradley, Algieri, Vargas, Herrera, Crawford, Diaz, Avalos etc.
      Last edited by Weebler I; 01-27-2015, 10:27 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Weebler I View Post
        Is it that, or is it just because HBO and Sho simply paid more for the rights to it?

I would venture that HBO and Sho pick boxing up because people watch it, in the same way Sky picks it up in the UK.
        The money is on network television, thats where every sport wants to be. That's why the NFL, NBA, college football, are all on network. That's where the money is. If boxing brought in viewers like those sports do. It would still be on network. They dont, that's why boxing is on HBO and Showtime

Comment

• Originally posted by Weebler I View Post

I think its a bit different , they work on a different payment scheme , they count on the boxing fan to want to pay extra money for the sub (or ppv) , but to do 1-2 million viewers for the "free national network" is really bad , they need the casual fans to be in it as well , thats what PAC vs Floyd can do to boxing , get the casual fan interest , and maybe he (casual) will sit down and watch it instead of modern family/ NBA game / whatever.

Comment

• Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
            Great if true. All this tells me that Showtime is going real hard to make this fight.
            Whats that noise? Ah, its a flip flop!

Comment

• Originally posted by bluzi View Post
              I think its a bit different , they work on a different payment scheme , they count on the boxing fan to want to pay extra money for the sub (or ppv) , but to do 1-2 million viewers for the "free national network" is really bad , they need the casual fans to be in it as well , thats what PAC vs Floyd can do to boxing , get the casual fan interest , and maybe he (casual) will sit down and watch it instead of modern family/ NBA game / whatever.
              So what would be good numbers for Haymon's PBC?

I'm expecting it to exceed Cunningham-Adamek which did 3 million viewers.

Surely the model must work on some level if investors have poured millions of dollars into it...unless of course they are banking on Haymon's rumored boxing PPV WWE-style channel for which this network TV push could just be a forerunner.

Comment

• Originally posted by AgainstTheRopes View Post
                do people even stop to think here for just a minute?

Moonves is going to cutoff Haymon and his enormous stable? It would essentially mean the end of showtime boxing and thereby lose millions of subscribers and potential ppv revenue.
                Too late Haymon already signed for dates with NBC and Spike. Haymon knows Floyd will not make the deal and Moonves will fire him so he went another direction already.

Comment

• Originally posted by AgainstTheRopes View Post
                  do people even stop to think here for just a minute?

Moonves is going to cutoff Haymon and his enormous stable? It would essentially mean the end of showtime boxing and thereby lose millions of subscribers and potential ppv revenue.
                  Haymon deals in bad faith...he did it with HBO, and he's done it with SHO.

His "enormous stable" has a lot of filler in it.

People get so impressed with the numbers he has signed...but how many real stars has he created in all his years of taking HBO and SHO for millions?

It might end up being much worse for SHO to continue that kind of relationship than to start over with actual promoters...and maybe give the fans something better than the overpriced fights and bad mismatches SHO fans got most of last year.

SHO has money and dates...which is exactly what promoters like GBP and Roc Nation need to attract new boxers.

That's how GBP built itself up early on...by getting those guaranteed dates from HBO.

I'm not saying SHO should follow that formula, but they could be smart about it and see if they can be more economical early on and start building something with GBP, Roc Nation, et al.

They might also want to go back to something they did more of before...which is looking more at the foreign/european market.
                  Last edited by Mitchell Kane; 01-27-2015, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X