No announcement yet.

Wrestling and Other Grappling Based Techniques for S&C

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrestling and Other Grappling Based Techniques for S&C

Would that be effective, especially for clinches? Wrestling and other grappling based techniques build muscular endurance as well as strength that can be used in boxing or is that too much along with a full boxing training regime?

Originally posted by Mr.DagoWop View Post
    Would that be effective, especially for clinches? Wrestling and other grappling based techniques build muscular endurance as well as strength that can be used in boxing or is that too much along with a full boxing training regime?
    The better balanced fighter will have the advantage....a good trainer will know how to utilize grappling in boxing. Both in clinches of positioning and overall dealing with even a stronger or heavier fighter. Taking better position often levitates weight. Even out of clinches I think overall balance with positioning a punch is where wrestling could comes in handy, you also feel the other guys weight and where its being distributed which can tell you when to get out of a clinch and punch or to evade altogether. It should go hand in hand with the training ,its not a separate entity really. I had a undefeated amateur fighter out of high school take juso lessons with his boxing and he became that much better in controlling the tempo. We had an advantage because we had the grappling guys and boxers in the same gym, though its a boxing /muay thai gym.My buddy fought fought Wilder back in the day...he is what we call hard headed and doesn't listen,which is why the fight didn't turn out nearly as it could have win or lose. Balance is everything,and I don't know who wilders trainer is but its not really been corrected.
    Last edited by juggernaut666; 01-30-2016, 11:43 PM.

Comment

if your in a clitch so offten that you need to take up wrestling and grappling i would say you have many other things to work on that would be more beneficial than learning to wrestle

Comment

Originally posted by kilojay505 View Post
        if your in a clitch so offten that you need to take up wrestling and grappling i would say you have many other things to work on that would be more beneficial than learning to wrestle
        Everybody gets clinched. Its unavoidable. I recently saw a video of GGG showing Sullivan Barrera techniques in a clinch that were similar to wrestling and it got me thinking if you could put your energy to better use by practicing wrestling/grappling techniques instead of the s&c used today. Also, I am about to start going to the gym again and they have wrestling/grappling coaches.

Comment

Wrestling, no. Judo, YES. I'd rolled with a lot of different grapplers and judo is the one I'd say can transition to boxing to a degree because you are upright, getting shoved in a lot of different directions, and can't let your opponent's hands go free for even a second.

Comment

Working...
          X