Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has Khan now been vindicated in his decision to leave Roach?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has Khan now been vindicated in his decision to leave Roach?

He looked slightly improved in his last fight, but still has a long way to go in order to perfect his style. Still throws too many combinations and puts himself in unnecessary danger - against most people that'll be fine but there's always a chance that a heavy hitter could land a bomb on him like Garcia did and end up changing the whole fight.

We saw Pacquiao get knocked out by Marquez only a week before the Khan fight, and now rumors are circulating that Chavez Jr is leaving Roach, possibly after realizing things that Khan had the foresight to spot earlier.

I had no issue with Khan changing trainers, it's something I thought should happen even before there was any official talk about it. With all that's been happening to Roach's fighters in recent times, to me it seems like it's been proven now that Khan was right in his choice to leave, especially in light of the incremental improvements he seems to making.
    Yes - Khan was right to leave Roach
    45.00%
    No - I don't think so
    55.00%

Nope, sheet happens and Roach seem to be going through a bad run at the moment, He would be vindicated when he fights tougher opponents and then win with his new found style.

Comment

He actually looked worse than in recent fights, save for Garcia. Leaning forward and being off balance in general.

Comment

Why does he still lean over and leave his chin exposed past his lead foot? I mean it'll take awhile to correct some things I get that but this is one of his main problems. I guess we'll have to wait and see in a few more fights if this kid can make the necessary adjustments

Comment

Khan went from a devasting loss to Prescott to a title holder under Roach which was a huge achievement. Manny has achieved huge things while he was with Roach. OK he lost to Marquez but you are not going to win them all and father time will always get you in the end.
          Both Marquez and Danny Garcia are both formidable opponents and them winning has more to do with their performances than Roach's limitations. It seems with Khan that Roach worked on his strengths and his deficiencies were never addressed. Changing habits is tough and takes a huge amount of time to become natural. It is risky and Khan may well have been vulnerable in that transition and notched up loses earlier.
          I think it will be a long time before we will see any real changes in Amir Khan as he has strongly ingrained habits and the changes will take a very long time to become second nature. It is one thing attempting to make changes and another for them to become second nature. He has had a good run with Roach ,personally I think we have seen the high water mark in his career and he has reached his level. I see him doing very well but coming up short in the really big fights but you have to give him credit for getting out of his comfort zone and trying to rebuild himself.

Comment

going to have to wait and see.

If anyone expected anything more than VERY minor changes after one training camp then they know absolutely nothing about boxing.

give it a year, and i'll let you know.

Comment

Originally posted by Earl Hickey View Post
              going to have to wait and see.

If anyone expected anything more than VERY minor changes after one training camp then they know absolutely nothing about boxing.

give it a year, and i'll let you know.
              You are spot on with the time frame. I don't think we can make any judgements until then. Getting rid of old bad habits and forming new good ones takes time and can't be rushed.

Comment

Two fractured hands and Virgil wants to make Khan train 2-3 times a week between fights?

Good luck with that. I think Khan is done as soon as he steps up to another real threat.

Comment

He beat Carlos Molina ffs.....

Comment

What? After beating Molina?

I think it was probably a necessary move for Khan regardless of Freddie Roach. He has ambitions of being at the very top, and he had just lost two in a row. He had to change something and he did. I think Roach developed him as an exciting offensive fighter but the other holes in his game are just too big for that to be enough.

Comment

Working...
                    X