Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats the big deal about a fighter quitting on his stool?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stuntin View Post
    it's better to die on your feet than live life on your knees

oscar better get some knee pads
    he's chosen his lifestyle
    I know exactly what you would do in a boxing fight where you have been hit in the head, can't hit the guy back and starting to get dizzy, exhausted and frustrated. It's always the ones who bray the loudest about quitting that have never even been in the situation that would call for it. Stop being so pathetically immature.
    Last edited by BennyST; 01-02-2009, 12:29 AM.

Comment

I never question why a fighter quits, but I lose a great amount of respect for the fighter when they do... and that's my right. Call it life or death, a sport whatever, there is no quit in a true warrior. Any pugilist knows what he signed up for long before they enter the ring. Quitters can still be Hall of Famers obviously, but in my opinion any greatest of all time talk has to cease immediately.

Comment

Originally posted by IIG View Post
        I never question why a fighter quits, but I lose a great amount of respect for the fighter when they do... and that's my right. Call it life or death, a sport whatever, there is no quit in a true warrior. Any pugilist knows what he signed up for long before they enter the ring. Quitters can still be Hall of Famers obviously, but in my opinion any greatest of all time talk has to cease immediately.
        You don't have Ray Robinson as the GOAT then?

Comment

Nice Emiliano Zapata quote. You do realize he said that during a time of war...not in the middle of a ****ing boxing match!

I never fought pro, only amateur. There was a couple of times when I was completely outclassed and took a huge number of big shots. Had I stopped throwing back, I knew the ref would've come to my aid, but I never did 'cause it was amateur and knew I only had another round or two to go. Fighting pro though for that many rounds would've probably been a different story.

Boxing is a sport, and a fighter makes his living by fighting multiple times throughout his career. Should a fighter make it a habit of quitting? No. If he can't cut it in the sport, it's time for him to find another way to make a living. But calling it a day if you're taking a tremendous beating, knowing there's nothing you can do to stop it...no shame in that all. You live to fight another day.

Comment

It's also rather funny that you say this about a guy who has probably taken more chances than any other fighter of the contemporary era and fought more fights he had a big chance of losing than anyone else.

Comment

I'm not a message board tough guy like most people here. I've never boxed in a ring before so I will not be a douche by saying I would never quit and stuff like that. I'm all for it. If someone absolutely has no chance of winning why take extra punishment? Its like when Cotto took a knee there were multitudes of peabrains here calling him a quitter. How many people on this message board have had their nose broken to pieces and can only breath through their mouth while taking punches from Margarito? ZERO!!! In a sport where one round can mean the difference between you fighting another day or being a vegitable sitting in your parents house helpless then I say leave it up to the professionals as to when to stop it. Dont listen to armchair pros that think every boxing match should be to the death and do not realize that boxers have families and other concerns other than staying on their feet until they are punched into oblivion.

Comment

Hence the term, a fighter is supposed to fight to the final bell. It looks bad when they quit cuz it shows a lack of heart. But there was nothin wrong wit DLH quittin cuz he had no chance of winnin. His submission just looked 10 times worse than anybody else's since it was against a smaller guy he was supposed to KTFO.

Comment

Originally posted by Trevbutler View Post
                  I'm not a message board tough guy like most people here. I've never boxed in a ring before so I will not be a douche by saying I would never quit and stuff like that. I'm all for it. If someone absolutely has no chance of winning why take extra punishment? Its like when Cotto took a knee there were multitudes of peabrains here calling him a quitter. How many people on this message board have had their nose broken to pieces and can only breath through their mouth while taking punches from Margarito? ZERO!!! In a sport where one round can mean the difference between you fighting another day or being a vegitable sitting in your parents house helpless then I say leave it up to the professionals as to when to stop it. Dont listen to armchair pros that think every boxing match should be to the death and do not realize that boxers have families and other concerns other than staying on their feet until they are punched into oblivion.
                  Bravo!!! I couldn't of said it better myself!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mangler View Post
                    Hence the term, a fighter is supposed to fight to the final bell. It looks bad when they quit cuz it shows a lack of heart. But there was nothin wrong wit DLH quittin cuz he had no chance of winnin. His submission just looked 10 times worse than anybody else's since it was against a smaller guy he was supposed to KTFO.

The way somthing looks on paper in the end has almost nothing to with the actual result of the fight. So why should it effect his legacy in anyway??

Comment

Oscar was done. He couldnt see the punches coming. In the end what does he gain? David Diaz may have gone out like a true warrior, but he was beaten to a pulp.

Comment

Working...
                      X