Collapse
No announcement yet.

What I think about Rigondeaux

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I read a very good book about Rigo called A Cuban Boxers Journey. He comes across as a sympathetic guy but also an arrogant prick. It surely is hell to get on a leaking raft to get to the US and leave your family behind.

Not withstanding the above, his fighting style can be a cure for insomnia. Talented as hell but not crowd pleasing which is why Arum hates him. Right or wrong, people would rather watch a Provotnikov type boxer every time.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
      I'm a boxing fan, have been since I was a kid, it's something that's always been on at my house and I took part in the ams for many years. So this is an informed opinion on Rigondeaux, not something the casuals would have, what with their Pac/May obsession and thinking all fights will be Rocky.

My major concern with Rigondeaux and what makes me turn him off at times is the fact that he refuses to pull the trigger at the highest level. All his KOs have come at c or d class but every time he has taken a step up, and it's happened a grand total of three times: Donaire, Marroquin and Agbeko, Rigondeaux has been unable to st op guys he easily dominated.

After winning 5 or 6 rounds, he takes the foot off the gas, doesn't want to engage and just doesn't have that killer instinct. Now, schooling someone to a 12 round decision is impressive but when you talk about a fighter as a P4P entrant, someone who is considered to be "great" by many, then he must be held to the same standard as previous P4P entrants and greats. They would go for the kill when the fighter was hurt or completely dominated/outclassed.

Rigondeaux falls far short of that standard...so that's what makes me not want to watch someone who is clearly an exceptional talent. His unwillingness to put his foot on the gas and take care of opponents who are clearly a rung or two below him. The Agbeko fight is the best example, Rigo can hit and possesses some power and by the half way point, Agbeko looked like he had accepted defeat...this was the time for Rigo to jump forward, lean into his punches, set his feet and bang away for a KO. Would he have gotten it? WHo knows but at least show the intent, the killer instinct. Rigo is content to amateur his way to wins.

It has earned him a world title and a couple good wins but he is far from a fan favourite and may never be. Rigo has to show more if he wants the status he claims he can and sometimes says has already achieved.

Donaire in the 12th would like to disagree with that statement.

Many facts go into it including level of opposition, but Rigo can cruise sometimes if the other guy is too scared to fight, but that's his tendency if you give him an easy win he will take it,the moral of the story is get guys with ballz who are going to bring it, or Rigo can fall asleep. And when you remember that the guy has 13 fights his "grand total" of level of competition doesn't seem to shabby at all .

Comment

If a fighter is up 9-2 going into the 12th Round...His Opponent Is Already Fukin Dead! Why should that fighter be CHASING HIS OPPONENT AROUND THE RING when he is way up on the Cards. Shouldn't it be the other way around, I watch a Tough SOB like John Molina Jr. have a never die attitude, come from behind and stop guys like Hank Lundy and Michael Bey, that is also what Boxing is about as well.

That is a STUPID SUGGESTION and to be honest when a Trainer knows his fighters has the fight in the bag, even they tell them to "FIGHT SMART!"

You want Rigondeaux to change the way he fights, well how about the rest of boxing within his Division GET ON HIS LEVEL and FORCE HIM to come out of his style and force him to be aggressive. Go watch Rigondeaux fights and watch how most of his opponents after feeling his Power they are all backing up and scared to throw punches.

So YES it is Boring to watch a Talented Guy just school other guys who don't have anywhere CLOSE to the talent he has. Sorry but I don't expect the more talented guy to basically "FIGHT STUPID" for my entertainment, instead I am pushing for HIS OPPONENT to do something about this man who is embarrassing the **** out of you.

STEP YOUR FUKIN GAME UP! Learn HOW TO BOX, Learn HOW TO THROW A JAB, Learn HOW TO CUT THE RING OFF. This will make the sport more entertaining, instead of asking guys to "DUMB DOWN YOUR FIGHTING STYLE SO THAT THE REST OF THE FIGHTERS CAN HAVE SHOT AT BEATING YOU SO I CAN BE ENTERTAINED"
        Last edited by sicko; 07-17-2014, 07:24 PM.

Comment

He is a god he doesn't need or want to be a star

Comment

Originally posted by DannYankee09 View Post
            Donaire in the 12th would like to disagree with that statement.

Many facts go into it including level of opposition, but Rigo can cruise sometimes if the other guy is too scared to fight, but that's his tendency if you give him an easy win he will take it,the moral of the story is get guys with ballz who are going to bring it, or Rigo can fall asleep. And when you remember that the guy has 13 fights his "grand total" of level of competition doesn't seem to shabby at all .
            He had Donaire running like, "Arrrrggghhh, I'm a pirate!" in that 12th round.

As far as the Marroquin fight, he was up at worst 9-2, with a 10-8 round in the books, and Rigo dropped him in the 12th.

I think that people know what they are watching talent wise with him, but want him to be on "kill mode" all the time.

He doesn't need to be to dominate.

And that chaps peoples asses sometimes.

Comment

Hahaha. Donaire looked like a corner back trying to cover a wide receiver.

Comment

Working...
              X