Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Fighting Words: Love or Hate Him, Adrien Broner is Here

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Fighting Words: Love or Hate Him, Adrien Broner is Here

by David P. Greisman - Even before he stepped foot in the ring, there were the signs of his obvious influences.

There was the one-handed choke he’d used on his opponent at the weigh-in, just like Floyd Mayweather Jr. had done to Victor Ortiz.

There was the performance as he made his way into the arena, rapping his own entrance music, just as Roy Jones Jr. had done before facing Clinton Woods.

For a young, impressionable fighter, these were obvious influences, two of the biggest stars of the past two decades, two flashy, famous boxers who could go from being untouchable on defense to unstoppable on offense.

Jones has been fighting as a pro for as long as Adrien Broner has been alive. Mayweather’s pro career began at just about the same time that Broner first laced on a pair of gloves. They were obvious choices for fighters who could influence Broner, who at 22 remains young and impressionable.

Broner is impressive, too.

There is still much to be proven with Broner. Though he has a world title, he is still, 23 fights into his career, a work in progress, a beltholder who has shown he belongs toward the top in a shallow junior lightweight division but has not yet staked a true claim among the top in the sport.

There is time. Broner’s nickname, “The Problem,” is appropriate — his speed and power will pose precisely that for those less skilled, less gifted or less experienced. He blasted past Eloy Perez in four rounds this past Saturday, landing a pair of punches that subsequently sent his opponent down three times from that single combination.

Broner danced in the ring as Perez stumbled and fell. He’d done the same in the middle of the fight, moving out of a clinch, stepping around Perez and stepping across the ring, showing off for himself and for the crowd, showing his foe that it was he who was in control — and who was still having fun.

Mayweather once gave HBO’s ringside commentators his NFL playoff picks in the middle of a round. Jones once dropped his hands and held them behind his back before landing a knockout blow. [Click Here To Read More]

Mad props to "The Can Man!" He's an equal opportunity open up a can of whoop a55 type of man!!!

Comment

say it again

Comment

I only pull up "Fighting Words" so as to read "the 10 count". I don't read "Fighting Words" any more. To dreary, heavy, overladen with tendentious words and heavily cliched terms. It was driving me crazy, so I decided only to read the interesting items.

And they were in "The Ten Count".

Comment

it's easy for nobodies to look good against nobodies.

Comment

Originally posted by AzteK Warrior View Post
            it's easy for nobodies to look good against nobodies.
            It's not at all a deep division, as I noted in the column, but Eloy Perez was not at all a nobody.

Comment

War Can Man! Love this cat.

He's got some yong guys comin up to test him.

Comment

Love him or hate him all that matters is that the network HBO likes him and Broner getting paid.

Comment

Originally posted by Ringlife View Post
                  Love him or hate him all that matters is that the network HBO likes him and Broner getting paid.
                  All that matters is that he's getting paid?? WTF kind of boxing fan are you?? Getting paid comes with the territory - Only someone really stupid cares so much about how much other people (unknown to him) get paid. He's a fkn boxer!! I care about what he brings to the sport and whom he fights. This guy is a nobody period.. And Eloy?? who the F. is him? Fight the best guys in your division and prove that you're worth me paying to watch you. I'm not falling for the "Money MayRunner" BS or whatever garbage HBO wants to sell me. Only someone stupid does. FOK HBO!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. David View Post
                    It's not at all a deep division, as I noted in the column, but Eloy Perez was not at all a nobody.

Eloy Perez record only looks good on paper HOWEVER he has fought nothing more than nobodies AND Eloy is the only undefeated fighter this clown has faced. This clown may be on his way to stardom, I don't know.. I have to see him fight better opposition and ONLY then I will be able to tell. As of today, he continues to be a nobody.
                    Last edited by AzteK Warrior; 02-27-2012, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X