No announcement yet.

how do you go about becoming an annoucer,judge,ref.etc.etc

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deuce_drop View Post
    Just apply with your states commission, log lots of hours doing what it is you want to do in amateurs and then pay to play from there, ie licensing, etc. It's easier than you think , just takes time.
    This^^^

In an interview with Harold Lederman, Harold broked down how one would make it to where is at. He stated the best guys, such as himself, put in a ton on time working the amateur ranks and a lot of local boxing events for free on the side. That's the best route, and after getting your licensing and working your way up, it shouldn't be too hard to get into those positions if you develop the talent to excel at those jobs.

just volunteer for local amateur gigs, as they are always looking for people to work those events.

Comment

Originally posted by -Top Rank- View Post
      This^^^

In an interview with Harold Lederman, Harold broked down how one would make it to where is at. He stated the best guys, such as himself, put in a ton on time working the amateur ranks and a lot of local boxing events for free on the side. That's the best route, and after getting your licensing and working your way up, it shouldn't be too hard to get into those positions if you develop the talent to excel at those jobs.

just volunteer for local amateur gigs, as they are always looking for people to work those events.
      How much does it matter if you volunteer in a big boxing city (Las Vegas, Philadelphia, New York, etc) compared to cities that aren't known for boxing?

Comment

Originally posted by GrandpaBernard View Post
        What always confused me is why do they give the Jim Lampleys jobs as a commentator? Why not give it to someone with plenty of pro boxing experiences under the belt, Chop Chop Corley for example.
        I think people will universally agree that Lampley is great at what he does and has more classic lines than any commentator in the sport.

Hate him or love him, there is always some famous line from him in just about huge fight/event that we have seen in the past 20 years.

Comment

I think people will universally agree that Lampley is great at what he does and has more classic lines than any commentator in the sport.

Hate him or love him, there is always some famous line from him in just about huge fight/event that we have seen in the past 20 years.
          **** does his post have to do with floyd??

Comment

Originally posted by LarryX2011 View Post
            Dude you are seriously losing it

Comment

Originally posted by GrandpaBernard View Post
              How much does it matter if you volunteer in a big boxing city (Las Vegas, Philadelphia, New York, etc) compared to cities that aren't known for boxing?
              I think the big cities will allow you to get your name out there, especially in a state like NY, since the golden gloves there are one of the biggest events in american amateur boxing.

However, in those small cities, not a lot of people are lining up to do those jobs, compared to NY, Philly etc, so you have a better opportunity to put in more work.

Like that one guy said, it's not as hard as most people think, but it will take years of putting in work in the amateur ranks to be great at it. Harold lederman said he worked tons of bouts for years, whether it was judging etc to be as knowledgeable as he is. He also said that is why some guys are as good at judging fights, because they lack the experience, and just jump into scoring big fights without having an extensive background in the sport.

I'll look for the interview and will try to post it. (it was a boxing truth interview around the Funeka vs Guzman I bout).

FWIW you don't have to put in the work I'm talking about to get on the big stage, which is why we have so many ****ting judges scoring these bouts, but if you wanna be great at it then I would suggest you to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by LarryX2011 View Post
                Nothing. Why'd you bring him up?

Anyways...I want Buffer's job. How much does that dude get paid? I got a better voice than him. People say I sound like Nate Dogg.

Comment

I think the big cities will allow you to get your name out there, especially in a state like NY, since the golden gloves there are one of the biggest events in american amateur boxing.

However, in those small cities, not a lot of people are lining up to do those jobs, compared to NY, Philly etc, so you have a better opportunity to put in more work.

Like that one guy said, it's not as hard as most people think, but it will take years of putting in work in the amateur ranks to be great at it. Harold lederman said he worked tons of bouts for years, whether it was judging etc to be as knowledgeable as he is. He also said that is why some guys are as good at judging fights, because they lack the experience, and just jump into scoring big fights without having an extensive background in the sport.

I'll look for the interview and will try to post it. (it was a boxing truth interview around the Funeka vs Guzman I bout).

FWIW you don't have to put in the work I'm talking about to get on the big stage, which is why we have so many ****ting judges scoring these bouts, but if you wanna be great at it then I would suggest you to do so.
                  I appreciate your posts. You don't get this kind of knowledge of the sport shared very often.

Comment

Originally posted by Deedubbzz07 View Post
                    Nothing. Why'd you bring him up?

Anyways...I want Buffer's job. How much does that dude get paid? I got a better voice than him. People say I sound like Nate Dogg.
                    I read somewhere that he gets like $20K per and he is worth over $100 mil

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
                      I read somewhere that he gets like $20K per and he is worth over $100 mil
                      Say whaat?! So he gets a flat rate? Gawddamn! Where do I sign up? I just gotta come up with a catchphrase!

Comment

Working...
                      X