No announcement yet.

Texas Deputy Killed

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas Deputy Killed

A Burleson County sheriff's deputy leading a dawn, no-knock drug raid was shot and killed by the homeowner last Thursday. Sgt. Adam Sowders becomes the 40th person to die in US domestic drug law enforcement operations so far this year.

Although Sowders was killed early last Thursday morning, we delayed reporting the story because the sheriff's department refused for several days to release search warrant information that would have verified it was indeed a drug-related search warrant.

According to the Bryan-College Station Eagle, Sowders had obtained a search warrant for the residence after obtaining information that the homeowner was growing marijuana and possibly had stolen guns. The warrant was a "no-knock" warrant, meaning police could forcibly enter the residence without giving residents a chance to respond.

Sowders, the first officer through the door, was shot and killed by homeowner Henry Goedrich Magee, 28, who has now been charged with capital murder. But Magee's attorney, famed Houston defense lawyer Dick DeGuerin, said Magee and his pregnant girlfriend were sleeping in the home when they heard "explosives" going off and loud pounding at the door. Moments later, the door burst open and a person Magee couldn't identify entered the residence. Magee grabbed a rifle leaning against his bedroom door frame and shot Sowders. According to DeGuerin, Magee shot him because he "believed the man rushing in was an intruder and he needed to defend himself."

Magee has a felony and a misdemeanor drug conviction, but DeGuerin said all investigators found inside the trailer were a few marijuana plants and four guns that were all legal. DeGuerin pointed at the no-knock warrant as a contributing factor in Sowder's death.

"The danger is that if you're sitting in your home and it's pitch black outside and your door gets busted in without warning, what the hell are you supposed to do?" DeGuerin said.

What do you guys think of this?

I know who isnt a suspect...

Comment

the war on drugs claims yet another one.

kill this idiocy of enforcing this crap, put social programming in its place.

Comment

I know who isnt a suspect...

Comment

A no knock warrant for a few pot plants? Im all for law enforcement, but this sounds like a tragic case of self defense in my opinion.

Comment

40th this year?! That is a whole lot of raids. Poor dealers

In all serious I do feel sorry for this officers family, killed by prohibition tut tut

Comment

im from Bryan n this happen about 40 minutes away out in the country, the deputy got shot with an AR

Comment

it is what it is, especially in texas , u can't be a stupid dumb azz and start busting felons' doors or anyone's door for that matter and not expect to get shot.no sympathy for the pigs,tough break for the kids if he had any though.

Comment

Let's say it was the wrong house or they had the wrong person (both have happened before), and the deputy was shot by a legal gun owner, would he still be charged with capital murder? And if not, why does it apply to this man?

Comment

There literally nothing else the felon could have done in that situation. I'm sure if it happened over he would do the exact same.

Comment

Working...
                    X