No announcement yet.

Deontay Wilder is in a learning process

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deontay Wilder is in a learning process

Some here on this forum and on other websites claim that Wilder is the next big thing. I have been quite surprised actually by his recent declarations saying that he wants to fight David Haye, that the Klitschkos are afraid to fight him etc... He is definitely a very good prospect but it seems hard for me to consider him now as a top 10 fighter. Wilder still needs to prove big things to become the next big thing.

Yes, Wladimir Klitschko had a good feedback sparring him. Yes, Wilder has an impressive straight right hand. Yes, Wilder is an athlete and takes boxing seriously.

Let me point out some of his doubtable skills :

1- His chin : - Wilder got dropped during a sparing session against Wladimir Klitschko ; - Wilder got dropped in an amateur fight in a tournament between Russia and the USA.

2-His allround skills : - his footwork still has to be improved ; - we dont know much about his defense ;

3- His experience : - beating up 27 journeymen and 2 finished fighters inside 4 rounds doesn't prepare you weel for big fghts ; - his amateur experience wasn't that appealing and he won a controversial fight during the Beijing Olympics againts Mohamed Arjaou ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vc9QX6H4ADA )

When it comes to his durability, Wilder is an athlete and I am more than sure that he can go the distance.

Here is a 5 fight plan that I would suggest him to become the number one challenger.

1- Wilder vs Charr ( why not on the 28th of september? )
    2- Wilder vs Solis
    3- Wilder vs Mitchell/ Arreola
    4- Wilder vs Thompson
    5- Wilder vs Haye/Povetkin

Yea, he still is in the learning process and those 29 fights he had are basically fights to develop him since he had that short Amateur career... I'm still critical though.

People here are anointing him the next big thing in boxing and the American HW hope. I think he has the potential to do that, but I haven't seen anything yet. One thing a lot of his opponents have in common are they're old (average opponent age like 37) or they've been on a layoff of a year or more.

We'll see if he really does fight the Arreola/Mitchell winner, that'll be his official coming out party.

His right really is devastating though

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Eisenfaust View Post
      Some here on this forum and on other websites claim that Wilder is the next big thing. I have been quite surprised actually by his recent declarations saying that he wants to fight David Haye, that the Klitschkos are afraid to fight him etc... He is definitely a very good prospect but it seems hard for me to consider him now as a top 10 fighter. Wilder still needs to prove big things to become the next big thing.

Yes, Wladimir Klitschko had a good feedback sparring him. Yes, Wilder has an impressive straight right hand. Yes, Wilder is an athlete and takes boxing seriously.

Let me point out some of his doubtable skills :

1- His chin : - Wilder got dropped during a sparing session against Wladimir Klitschko ; - Wilder got dropped in an amateur fight in a tournament between Russia and the USA.

2-His allround skills : - his footwork still has to be improved ; - we dont know much about his defense ;

3- His experience : - beating up 27 journeymen and 2 finished fighters inside 4 rounds doesn't prepare you weel for big fghts ; - his amateur experience wasn't that appealing and he won a controversial fight during the Beijing Olympics againts Mohamed Arjaou ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vc9QX6H4ADA )

When it comes to his durability, Wilder is an athlete and I am more than sure that he can go the distance.

Here is a 5 fight plan that I would suggest him to become the number one challenger.

1- Wilder vs Charr ( why not on the 28th of september? )
      2- Wilder vs Solis
      3- Wilder vs Mitchell/ Arreola
      4- Wilder vs Thompson
      5- Wilder vs Haye/Povetkin
      I agree completely with this. hes obviously powerful but he really still needs to get his fundamentals down better

Comment

I wouldn't put Solis at #2, a motivated Solis could very well box the **** out of him.

Comment

I think this is the whole point but the problem is some are trying to anoint him as the messiah already, which makes people like myself question his level of competition and wanting him to be moved along quicker than he is been move right now.

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS View Post
            I wouldn't put Solis at #2, a motivated Solis could very well box the **** out of him.
            Man... I do this too, but people always say a motivated Solis/in shape Solis would be a beast..... when was the last time we saw him?

Comment

Originally posted by hougigo View Post
              Man... I do this too, but people always say a motivated Solis/in shape Solis would be a beast..... when was the last time we saw him?
              That's exactly the problem. I definitely rate Solis over Mitchell and Arreola. The last time he was in shape and motivated was against Vitali klitschko. I always thought that without this injury ( that was due to the fact that he was rocked btw), the fight would have been very competitive.

Comment

Working...
              X