No announcement yet.

Quickest way to build leg muscles?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Roy Jones Jnr View Post
    I want to build my leg muscles as i feel they are not strong enough to support all the running i do. What is the quickest and most effective way to build them?

I will only be doing leg excercises so no need for any upper body excercises. Do i still only do one session per week given i won't be doing any other weight lifting based activities apart from on my legs? Or should i do one day in the gym and one day off?

I've had shin splints for over a year and tried most things like physiotherapy, stretches etc and nothing has worked. My physio told me that he thought my leg muscles were strong enough and they weren't the cause of my shin splints but it's just a hunch i've had for a while and i thought i may aswell try building my leg muscles and see if that works given i've tried nearly every thing else.

So basically, quickest way to build my legs muscles and how many times i should train them per week?

Thanks.
    You should read this thread...this topic was covered here...

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=584656

To strengthen your legs learn to squat properly...do Romanian deadlifts...lunges and calf raises. Here's a post I made a while back about squatting.

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=60

There is no quick way to build your legs...it takes time and hard work.

Comment

Deep squats.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Originally posted by NearHypnos View Post
        So much this.

Also, I had a bout of this after an injury and it was KILLING me. But..it coul be as simple as your running form. I suffered an injury and trying to come back earlier than I should I began heel striking since it was more comfortable.. Well..few weeks in and it was sharp shin pains. Rested for a few weeks and recovered well enough to run with my normal form and all went well.

If youre running make sure you are NOT landing on your heel. Land on the middle of your foot, be conscious about it and take it slow. Make sure youre lifting your back foot up into almost an L shape. Your legs (if youve been running with bad form) will still be sore from running correctly but it wont be the same sharp pain, youll feel it more in your calves.

Seriously, give that a shot. Youd be surprised at how many people run with bad form and complain about shin splints.
        I've had my running form looked at by a physio and by one of them workers in a running store who look at you run on a treadmill and both said my running form was fine but come to think of it i'm pretty sure i am a heel striker. My trainers usually wear out from the heels.

I'm pretty sure it's been at least 2 years i've had my shin splints nightmare and for the very first time i think i may have found the reason why the b@stards just have not gone away after trying so many different things.

I've read up about it and it looks as if it may well be the heel striking which has been bumming me for so long, but after so many false hopes i'm not going to get too excited just yet.

What i don't get though if it was heel striking surely my physio would have noticed? Also had a couple of other podiatry experts(consultants or whatever you call them) look at my walking form and they said it was fine? Although i'm 100% now that i've been a heel striker for a good while. Most of my worn out trainers of the last few years are absolutely fine from the front, it's just the heels that are worn out. I'm guessing that means i've been heel strking for a while now.

I will be getting back in touch with my physio and asking him about this. If this turns out to be what has been causing them then what can i say. 2+ years of fcking agony with these b@stards trying so much different things for them to keep on coming back.

Thank you so much for even the suggestion if heel striking doesn't turn out be the cause, as at least for the first time in a long time i can see some light at the end of the tunnel. Some of you may think shin splints are minor but to someone like me who they've fcked for over 2 years trust me they're been a massive, absolutely massive pain in the ass, and have held me back so much.

I will let you know how i get on although i do have to say landing on my middle part of my foot when walking does feel a bit awkward atm but i'm guessing it'll take me a while to used to and even longer for when i'm running.

Thank you very much mate.

And thanks to everyone else for all the help. This is one great thing about internet forums.

Comment

I also suppose if it was the heel striking then those 3 month breaks won't have done much as even during the breaks i was walking a lot(but no running) and i must have been heel striking whilst walking which can't have helped the supposed resting period i was in.

Comment

def deep squats

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Jones Jnr View Post
              I also suppose if it was the heel striking then those 3 month breaks won't have done much as even during the breaks i was walking a lot(but no running) and i must have been heel striking whilst walking which can't have helped the supposed resting period i was in.
              Heel striking while walking is normal but it's just considered "bad" (as far as I know, and many heel strikers run with no issues, but some deal with shin splints) when running. Run slower, land on the mid part of your foot and the back foot make sure you are picking it up. Trust me, you'll feel it in the calves as opposed to shins.

I went crazy for that period because I thought I was running fine..then I started watching people run, youtube videos, everything and I noticed the small change I had made. Havent had shin splints since. The "pain" from running now seems evenly distributed as opposed to just localized awful shin pain where they felt like they'd blow up.

Take a week or so off, then run with what's considered ideal form (far as i know) for a day, wait to see how the legs feel the next day (take another day off if needed due to soreness) and youll notice it.

Comment

Working...
              X