• Show
Clear All

• Film 45: El Mariachi (1992, Spanish)

Running time: 81 minutes
    Directed by: Robert Rodriguez
    Starring: Carlos Gallardo
    IMDB rating: 7.0
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1292575/

I was in a lazy mood and didn't fancy the chore of hooking the PC up to the TV, so I looked through my pile of unwatched VHS tapes and decided to give this a go. I figured I'd mention that, just so that it's known that at least some of us are still fans of the format (I actually have about 20x more videos than DVDs, and own only 2 BRDs).

I was a bit unsure about watching this. I'd seen Desperado, but that was about 10 years ago so I'd forgotten most of it and couldn't remember if I'd liked it or not. What I do remember is Four Rooms, The Faculty and Planet Terror, all three of which were by Rodriguez, and all three of which I consider to be average at best.

I was under the impression that it was basically a wronged gangster with a guitar case full of weapons out for revenge, but that's not quite it. Though that individual does feature, the central character is actually a genuine guitarist.

After a failed attempt on the life of a big Mexican guy, the big Mexican guy gets together a collection of weapons, puts them in a guitarcase, and goes to get revenge on the gangster who tried to have him killed. I didn't quite get some of this. For example the big guy was in prison and wanted the gangster to bust him out, but then when he wants to go and get revenge he's able to leave fairly easily due to bribing the guard. Why not just do this in the first place?

This sort of thing isn't too big a problem though, as the film has a comedic tone for the most part, and so minor stuff like that doesn't matter too much IMO.

Anyway, the gangster tells his men to go and look for the big Mexican guy, and tells them that he'll be dressed in black and carrying a guitar case. Unfourtunately for the Mariachi, he matches the exact description, and despite only wanting to get a job playing his music in a bar, he gets a gang full of armed men trying to kill him.

After just about managing to escape, he ends up at a bar owned by Domino, a woman who he ends up getting close to. But of course things aren't that simple, as there are still two sets of rival gangster trying to kill one another, and he's caught in the middle.

Although the ending of the film isn't bad, it is handled in a serious manner, and to me it lacked depth and power due to this being a pretty light and amusing film for the predceeding hour or so.

I liked El Mariachi. It's fast paced and entertaining, and doesn't take itself too seriously. Despite the lack of experience among the cast and crew, the acting is good and the film doesn't have a cheap look to it, even though I watched it on a 10+ year old tape.

I don't think this qualifies as a great film, but then again it was made with a tiny budget and there is a limit to what can be achieved with such little funding.

Working...
X